Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-20, 11:33 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
To clarify, I hope in the future that we don't need a "movement" or permission for "acceptance" and that instead we have an environment that truly focuses on health and feeling well. That of course is intertwined with mental health. IMHO, we just don't need a dividing poster child for skinny or fat. We need to enjoy our bodies and nurture them and support others in doing the same. Less division, more compassion, respect and connection-----that would go a long way in healing what ails our society.
Thanks for posting! I hope for the same things: I hope in particular that there will be more exercise resources that are aligned with those values instead of opposing them, as mainstream resources tend to be. In recent days, I found a page dated last November 25 (so as if this writing, the page isn't even three months old yet) with a whole list of fitness resources that the page author considers "body-positive"; I don't know if I'll like all of them, but this variety is definitely more than there might've been maybe even a year ago.

My remark earlier in this thread about being open to other physiques wasn't an idle joke. I heard that Ellen once promoted a more inclusive vision than that of the "skinny woman," and I hope that she will again.

I'll reply to more of your post later.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 12:16 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Seriously, I think modern media is designed purely to keep us unsatisfied and purchasing.
I do think that mainstream media (and I don't even use "mainstream" as a pejorative) considerably fit this description. For years, I've explicitly thought that the usual marketing of exercise resources promotes body dissatisfaction for profit, that videos are no exception , and that people would be healthier in multiple ways if they thought and acted differently.

Several months to maybe over a year ago, I was searching VF for something and found a certain post. I don't remember specifically how I found the post (I was searching for something else, which I don't clearly remember either , and found a thread that contained this post), how old it was (it was probably a few years to several years old), or who wrote it (it was a member whose user name wasn't familiar to me and probably doesn't post here very much anymore). I do remember fairly clearly that the poster wrote about buying exercise system after system and not getting the body of her dreams. This post was just a complaint, with no deeper realization that a different mindset would've at least saved her considerable money and misery. I hope that she's more at peace with her body now, for the sake of her pocketbook and so many other things.

Hair?

I'm now in my 40s, and I've noticed a few unusual hair colors in my beard. I just had the thought of looking at products to see how much I would pay if I started dyeing my beard and how much money I'm saving because I'm not tempted to buy them. Family history suggests that my scalp hair will take longer to gray, but as family history also suggests, I'm already going bald anyway. Even years ago, I'd already noticed the fairly high price of products that might induce hair growth, if only because my eye is drawn to products that store lock away in transparent cases. I already prefer to keep my haircut very short; if my barber retires, and I can see a retirement at some point simply because of age, I'll probably start shaving my head, heh.

(Yes, in a later post I'll engage the discussion elsewhere in this thread about how things typically differ for men. I'll start by noting that the "average" male experience is closer to your ideal of "a world where we wake up without giving a thought to what we look like." I noticed that on a certain day, after this thread had started, I got out of bed and was able to rush to a place that closes early on Saturdays without having to apply even minimal makeup.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 11:03 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

OLD THREAT ALERT

Well as I'm noticing my gray roots starting to come in and all hair salons closed indefinitely, I'm thinking now may be the time to experiment with growing my gray hair out. I wasn't sure if I was ready and I know I can certainly color it at home myself. But since I was toying with the idea, maybe now is the time. I'm not even going anywhere much so it might be the perfect time. Anyone else thinking along these lines?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 11:11 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
OLD THREAT ALERT

Well as I'm noticing my gray roots starting to come in and all hair salons closed indefinitely, I'm thinking now may be the time to experiment with growing my gray hair out. I wasn't sure if I was ready and I know I can certainly color it at home myself. But since I was toying with the idea, maybe now is the time. I'm not even going anywhere much so it might be the perfect time. Anyone else thinking along these lines?
I think you will be in good company!

And when things do open back up, it will be a while before everyone can get back in, and there may be supply issues. I think some people will probably decide it isn’t worth the trouble anymore.

Or, maybe drug store dye will be experiencing toilet-paper like shortages.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 11:13 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post

Or, maybe drug store dye will be experiencing toilet-paper like shortages.
Good point! I didn't even think of that
Old 03-23-20, 11:14 AM  
Gams

I’ll continue to color my hair at home, but I am concerned about not being able to get it cut. My hair grows fast and I’m not a fan of long hair on older women, so I’m sure it will drive me crazy soon.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 11:16 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’ll continue to color my hair at home, but I am concerned about not being able to get it cut. My hair grows fast and I’m not a fan of long hair on older women, so I’m sure it will drive me crazy soon.
My sister was just saying this to me. She wears a short style and was concerned about getting it cut.
Old 03-23-20, 12:03 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I used to trim my own hair. If you cut the same length of hair off every hair on your head, you should end up with the same style - only shorter. And your stylist will be able to eventually fix anything you mess up.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 01:48 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Apparently my hair is already showing the wear of this quarantine..... I facetimed with a friend yesterday and she commented on me letting my hair go. I think she didn't quite realize what she was saying at the time.
Old 03-23-20, 01:52 PM  
Donna D

I'm thankful my hairdresser has a few clients she does in her home salon. I had mine highlighted and cut on Saturday.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, ellen barrett, going gray, gray hair, grey hair, hair