Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-16-16, 01:27 AM  
ElisaB

Hello everyone!

I was looking for a fitting check-in... I hope you ladies will have me :-)

I am in recovery from autoimmune CFS, and I am working my way back to regular exercise. Cardio is out for the most part, except for some light rebounding and walking, so I have to carefully pick my workouts.

I started doing yoga in the morning just after waking up again, a modified Sun Salutation B flow that wakes me up and gets my blood going a bit :-)

Yesterday I added the lower body segment of TBM Fat Free — enjoyed the workout, even if I didn't love the instruction style. Oddly, very placid instructors actually stress me out
I would like to stay with barre though, so I'm thinking of trying Pop Physique today. I'm a bit scared. I don't want to go too fast and then plunge into several days of no energy. However I also want to continue...

My husband is returning from a trip tomorrow and I have to pick him up at the airport, which means I will likely skip my workout tomorrow, so I want to make today's a good one! (While still avoiding over-exerting myself; still have to be parsimonious with my energy "tokens")

Have a great day everyone!

“You don't have to be perfect to be AMAZING
ElisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 09:39 AM  
PennyK

Yes, Laura the Essentrics challenge starts Monday and I'm really excited to begin. I have all of the dvds and plan to do the beginners challenge so I can try their newest releases. I definitely think Sahra's two newest ones would be a great place for you to start with from what I have been reading.
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 10:03 AM  
Kitten

Morning Ladies

Today I wasn't really feeling it exercise wise.
I still did a brief warm-up & my P.I.N.K workout. So, I'm a little shy of my 30 minute goal, but I should get some steps in today with the errands I have to run.

Welcome, Elisa

Laura, Leslie's repetitiveness is what works for me. I grab my ipod & my earbuds & listen to a podcast while I walk with her. Her one move where you step side to side & reach your arms bothers my back for some reason . I just leave my arms down. It's weird though, such a simple move, but my back is just like nope! not happening.

Gymmom, congrats on 6 days. As far as Leslie's chatter, see my reply to Laura. That's how I deal with it. Her moves are simple enough to do it that way.

Tina, my father decided a few years ago he was tired of all the medications he was on. So he started walking & eating right. Not only did he lose weight, he's no longer on most of his meds.

Waves to everyone else! You are all doing so well!
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 02:00 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaB View Post
Hello everyone!

I was looking for a fitting check-in... I hope you ladies will have me :-)

I am in recovery from autoimmune CFS, and I am working my way back to regular exercise. Cardio is out for the most part, except for some light rebounding and walking, so I have to carefully pick my workouts.

I started doing yoga in the morning just after waking up again, a modified Sun Salutation B flow that wakes me up and gets my blood going a bit :-)

Yesterday I added the lower body segment of TBM Fat Free — enjoyed the workout, even if I didn't love the instruction style. Oddly, very placid instructors actually stress me out
I would like to stay with barre though, so I'm thinking of trying Pop Physique today. I'm a bit scared. I don't want to go too fast and then plunge into several days of no energy. However I also want to continue...

My husband is returning from a trip tomorrow and I have to pick him up at the airport, which means I will likely skip my workout tomorrow, so I want to make today's a good one! (While still avoiding over-exerting myself; still have to be parsimonious with my energy "tokens")

Have a great day everyone!
Welcome Elisa! I totally know what you mean about wanting to start without overdoing it. I'm kind of either a non-doer or a classic over-doer with exercise, so I have to be careful. Have you looked at Jessica Smith's YouTube channel? She offers a whole range of gentle exercise from lighter cardio (walking at various intensities, I know you said cardio is pretty much out, maybe watch the one called "Sunset Barefoot Walk" and see if that's doable or appealing) to stretching to barre. She has one called "Barre for Beginners" that I haven't tried yet, but it might be good for you. I her personality and instruction, and maybe you will too. I've never really given Bar Method a chance because the instruction bores me even in the clips, and I think the tuck would just be inviting me to tweak my lower back. I like a neutral, natural spine. Pop Physique looks intriguing but really challenging! I'd kill myself trying. Though I do think I should find Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt with the little ball, because I think she has a segment that targets the backside and legs, and I need to work on my strength there...

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 02:30 PM  
susand

hello laura! and everybody else.
today was not so tough aerobics mix, aka light aerobics. an oldie firm parts.
then did the floorwork part of vol 2. ( I was feeling inspired) I may stick with that.
vol 2 always seems so daunting to do from start to finish. this way felt a lot better.
I am hoping others can post some combo's that they like.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 08:56 PM  
Lorelai

Hi ladies!

Today I did Jessica's YT Cardio Ballet plus 10-15 minutes of my own stretching, which I should really start clocking. In case anyone is interested, it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r45YhhswIdw

I CB! It's definitely up there on my list of favorites. Yes, I do have to modify, but I feel thoroughly worked out, was sweating and shaking by the end, but yet, my body felt looser and the movement felt great. Jessica is really good at making whatever muscle group she's targeting feel like it's going to give out with the pulses, and then moving to a larger ROM that keeps everything from getting too tight. I feel amazing. I think I'm going to keep adding my own stretches at the end of each workout, because then I can do my favorites and target the areas I feel need it most.

Penny, I'll definitely have to look into those Essentrics dvds. If/when they're available on Amazon I'll request them through my library to try them out.

Kitten, sometimes I feel that way with arm/ leg combinations, even Jessica's. I think it might have something to do with me not concentrating enough on my core and throwing my body, however slightly, either forward or backwards instead of holding steady, and therefore tweaking the low back. That's my theory anyway. So sometimes I'll really modify the arms or leave them out all together. My brain just can't focus on all those things at once sometimes.

Susan, I don't know quite what you mean about combos? Are you talking about a specific dvd or set of dvds?

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 09:41 PM  
susand

Hi Laura, I meant short workouts put together or dividing up a longer one. I am pretty old school (started in 1987) so I don't have much newer stuff. Anybody do Leslie's basic stepping?
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 10:23 PM  
sherylb

Today's workout:

JS 360 Abs
CS 1010

Planning on doing the CS rotation starting Monday. I only have the seasons and not any Essentrics DVDs, so I will have to do some substitutions.

I also like the simplicity of Leslie's workouts, they just keep getting better. Love all of her newer releases
sherylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 01:20 AM  
gymmom

My daughter had a cheer competition today - and it was a planned rest day. I dropped her at the coliseum at her meet up time, and then drove to a nearby mall to park so I could avoid the $10 parking fee. Got in a 1.5 mile walk each way - and somehow avoided a crazy Portland downpour each direction (seriously started pouring right after I arrived, and right after our return to the car!). Unfortunately we ate lunch at Chipotle and I have been dealing with some serious gastro distress ever since. Hoping it is done by morning since this is a two day comp and I will be there all day tomorrow. Feeling good that my fitbit is at 8000 steps all things considered. My daughter is worried I have e-coli! Hope not!

Lorelai - I have not tried Jessica Smith - I will have to figure out how to do that. My husband just moved his XBox 360 into my workout TV - I think I can stream u-tube to the TV using that so I will need to check that out. Leslie is a double edge sword. I've never been good at muting, or using the music only option, but may need to. Even Stephanie's constant "You only have 20 minutes" and "Listen up" is beginning to bug me.

sheryl - what do you teach? I am an elementary special education teacher.
gymmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 07:35 AM  
Footballnut

Yay!!! This check-in seems to be taking off.

Elisa, I am with you on the whole CFS thing. My doctor diagnosed me with it a while ago, but I am definitely feeling better than I was. Unfortunately, I have to be very careful with exercise too. No puking in the bucket workouts (not that I ever will anyway). Those days are long over for me.

Penny,I am going to be doing the Essentrics challenge too following the beginners rotation. I can't wait. It's been a while since I have been consistent, so I am looking for this to give me a little consistency without wearing me out.

Laura, I was wondering about the barre techniques that encourage so much tucking. Can they be done without tucking and still be effective? I am not so sure I can handle all that tucking either. There is a some tucking in CS/Essentrics, but it doesn't seem to bother me too much.

Have a great day everyone! Gotta run. Off to shower and get ready for church.

Tags
beginner, low key workouts, mirabai holland, restarters