Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-14, 12:20 AM  
horusosiris
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrazy View Post
Can someone with both P90X3 and P90X2 compare them for me. I have 3 and so far like it and was wondering how it compared to 2. I know 3 are shorter workouts but what else can you tell me? Thanks! Linda
The P90X2 workouts involve tons of core stability and balance work. There are plyo pushups, 4 med ball pushups with your feet and hands on med balls, chest work on the stability ball, bicep curls standing on one leg, triceps work on the stability ball, agility work on one leg, plyometric moves on one leg, stability ball push ups, leg strength move on one leg, upper body work on one leg, etc. There are also many pull up variations that require considerable core strength i.e. pull ups with knee tucks, etc.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 12:35 AM  
catcrazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
The P90X2 workouts involve tons of core stability and balance work. There are plyo pushups, 4 med ball pushups with your feet and hands on med balls, chest work on the stability ball, bicep curls standing on one leg, triceps work on the stability ball, agility work on one leg, plyometric moves on one leg, stability ball push ups, leg strength move on one leg, upper body work on one leg, etc. There are also many pull up variations that require considerable core strength i.e. pull ups with knee tucks, etc.
Thank you that is helpful!
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 08:43 AM  
Mickey12
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrazy View Post
Thank you that is helpful!
I agree completely with this poster. I can definitely see the P90X2 influence in X3, but X3 is a blend of the original and X2. It's not ALL balance/core work like X2 is. I really enjoy the 30 minute format of X3. I also like the variety that mixing balance work and unusual moves from X2 with traditional cardio and weight work gives. I get bored with the same old stuff and X3 has tons of variety.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 09:35 AM  
catcrazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I agree completely with this poster. I can definitely see the P90X2 influence in X3, but X3 is a blend of the original and X2. It's not ALL balance/core work like X2 is. I really enjoy the 30 minute format of X3. I also like the variety that mixing balance work and unusual moves from X2 with traditional cardio and weight work gives. I get bored with the same old stuff and X3 has tons of variety.

Kim
Thank you!
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 02:08 PM  
catcrazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Can someone tell me how the foam roller DVD is in this set? Does it give good stretches to do on the roller? Thanks! Linda
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 12:08 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
I'm about halfway through a P90X3 rotation and loving it - and I keep seeing teaser clips of P90X2 . . .

What equipment is really necessary? I have a whole room full of stuff, but I don't have 4 med balls, nor do I want them! Are they essential? Any other equipment concerns I should be aware of? I'm *this* close to purchasing!!

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 12:23 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter
 
ddj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
If you do the moves as is, four med balls are essential. However, I struggled a great deal to do those moves and realize now that I probably should have just modified. I will say that X2 is much harder than X3 and I feel that they did not always show enough modification in X3 so I would have to be doing a lot of modifying on my own for X2.

I was in much better shape than I am now when X2 came out and I still had a hard time with much of it, but I was more determined then not to have to modify. That's not the case these days so perhaps I could make it work better. Because it was so challenging, I didn't do it very much at all. I don't recall it working very well for going heavy, but it has been awhile since I did it.
__________________
Jumping for joy is good exercise.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 12:30 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
I'm the queen of modifications - I don't expect to be able to do a lot of it! I agree about the modifications in P90X3, BTW.

Oh, so tempted! Especially since someone mentioned in another thread that two of the P90X2 workouts (PAP, maybe?) were very similar to the Complex Upper and Lower that are in the ridiculously overpriced bonus set! I can spend $90 on three workouts or $120 on a whole new set . . . hmmm, I wonder what it will be?
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 01:03 PM  
marmact
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In a plank position
I definitely modified in P90X2, with ZERO shame, LOL. Some of the moves as performed by Tony were pretty advanced. I'm sure there are folks who can do them as part of a workout, but I know my limits (wonky shoulders) and wasn't interested in testing fate. However, I will say that (as far as I can recall), they always showed a modified version.

I did test out the advanced moves on my own at times. For example, I did the four-ball pushups using two basketballs (my med balls are the squishy kind and didn't work for this). I was on my knees (instead of placing my feet on two more balls) and found that it was a terrific balance challenge. Not something I'd do as part of a workout (my shoulders really felt it) but kind of fun to try out.

The only things that I really didn't like about X2 were the excessively long warmups at times and the fact that Tony didn't seem to have close relationships to a lot of the crew members. I mean, he was friendly and all, but the vibe was definitely different than the original X. If you have X3, how would you characterize that aspect? Did Tony bring back more of the original cast or other people that he's obviously friends with off the set?
__________________
"We will dance on their chamois!" ~ Grunter von Agony, Hell Hath No Fury (The Sufferfest)
marmact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 01:31 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post

The only things that I really didn't like about X2 were the excessively long warmups at times and the fact that Tony didn't seem to have close relationships to a lot of the crew members. I mean, he was friendly and all, but the vibe was definitely different than the original X. If you have X3, how would you characterize that aspect? Did Tony bring back more of the original cast or other people that he's obviously friends with off the set?
I love the "vibe" of the P90X3 workouts -- Tony is very charming and funny (disclosure - I have an extremely high "goofy" tolerance level!) and his interaction with the backgrounders is really good. A couple not so much, but overall it's a feel-good workout crew. He's got some of his "work-out" buddies in the workouts and then "grads" from different programs.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
p90x2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness