Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-11, 11:51 AM  
Carb8985

Yes! That is my favorite part of NYC. Just being able to walk everywhere and get fresh air and physical activity (it's not fun in the rain or snow, though!). I've been busy at work this week and, just this morning, I found myself power-walking to the subway without even thinking about it. Bam! Cardio done for the day
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:22 PM  
kariev34

Ok, now I want to know what you all were doing before doing barre and what made you decide to give barre a chance?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:57 PM  
marissajd

Before barre, I was doing a little bit of everything -- Firm, Cathe, Slim Series, Jillians. I'd already begun to gravitate away from heavier weights and equipment-heavy workouts. Can't remember why I started w/ barre...had the original LBM set for years but never clicked with it. Wasn't until I took a live class that I really fell in love w/ barre, but looking back, I can't remember what it was that made me decide to march down to TBM for that first class. Hmmm... that wasn't very helpful, was it? LOL.
marissajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 08:53 AM  
Carb8985

Before barre, I was doing heavy weights, almost exclusively Cathe. However, I did dabble in P90x and a few others. Eventually (and I don't know if I can blame it on those types of workouts), I developed a muscle imbalance that led to knee pain (in both knees). So, after correcting the knee issues through physical therapy (and foam rolling), I was determined to get back into exercising.

It was at this time that I decided to give barre a try, mostly because it seemed "gentler" and I really liked how Burr Leonard emphasized that she worked the knees from all angles, thus avoiding the very type of problem that I had developed. Well, after my first few months of barre (mostly The Bar Method and Fluidity), my knees were MUCH MUCH better and I had fallen in love with the technique.

From there, I moved on to more advanced, faster-paced workouts like P57. I was officially hooked after that.

I've stuck with it because of the results: No more knee pain. A tighter, lifted seat. Muscular, but lean quads. Sculpted, but not bulky arms. All this, PLUS a level of flexibility that I've never had before. Can't really beat all of those results. Plus, the workouts are fun and not at all dread-inducing for me.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 01:10 PM  
LauraBella

Wow.... "Before barre." That was way back when my collection was mostly VHS and fit on one shelf! I was doing Firms (BSS1&2) and some Crunch's and QuickFixes. A little yoga. Mostly the Firms and I felt I was getting bulky thighs from it. I stumbled onto Bar Method FF and DS on ebay. Dirt cheap. I had a vague memory that people at Collage boards (which I had just discovered) really liked them. I wasn't at all sure what to expect, but I was hooked at the first workout. I remember telling my mom (mid-workout) that, "this is harder than it looks!"
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre results