Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-14, 11:30 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpotcat View Post
I know you didn't mention this, how about RKS? There are 16 workouts and the longest one is about 30 mins. Also, they all use single bells. Currently it's 79.95 in Amazon. Skogg system is currently 74.95 at Amazon.
I'll have to look into those. I've seen a few threads saying they aren't so beginner friendly.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 11:58 AM  
katmom

I purchased the RKS system first and felt somewhat lost regarding learning kettlebell technique. Before going any further in the RKS rotation, I purchased the Skogg system and felt better prepared for RKS after doing a rotation with Skogg.

Now, when I return to the Skogg system, I start with about week 5 or 6 and do a couple of weeks with it.
Old 07-22-14, 12:22 PM  
Castella

My perspective comes from having purchased over 10 kettlebell workouts, including Anthony's intro clinics, and never getting past the tutorials to doing an actual workout. I have the same problem with dance DVDs--no patience and limited time to work out, so I want my tutorials to be challenging enough to count as a workout.

With Skogg System, I was able to go through the relatively short tutorial which includes practice, and start the rotation and become comfortable with kettlebells. I think it is a good system for beginners who want to learn at home. I discovered that the form that Skogg uses doesn't really work as well for me as the form taught and demonstrated by other instructors, and the form pointers didn't help me target the muscles I want to target (I get this more from Anthony), so I've pretty much moved away from Skogg. (also, trying to think of an inoffensive way of saying this...he talks way too much about things that have nothing to do with the workout for my taste, I don't enjoy his jokes, and have a strong preference for instructors who stick to business). Not only does he go over 6 basic moves, you also learn how to combine moves and structure a workout, which is pretty darn useful. Many days I just put together a workout with what I consider a selection of balanced moves that are interesting and challenging and low risk for me.

With the at-home DVDs, the camera work isn't always in synch with his instruction, so you aren't necessarily seeing what he is talking about. This is really annoying is he is introducing a new move and you can't see it. He also isn't doing the workouts himself (which means more talking!), and I'm not fond of those kinds of workouts.

I highly recommend the system for getting started. What you do from there depends on your own goals and taste in at-home workouts.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 03:30 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
My perspective comes from having purchased over 10 kettlebell workouts, including Anthony's intro clinics, and never getting past the tutorials to doing an actual workout. I have the same problem with dance DVDs--no patience and limited time to work out, so I want my tutorials to be challenging enough to count as a workout.

With Skogg System, I was able to go through the relatively short tutorial which includes practice, and start the rotation and become comfortable with kettlebells. I think it is a good system for beginners who want to learn at home. I discovered that the form that Skogg uses doesn't really work as well for me as the form taught and demonstrated by other instructors, and the form pointers didn't help me target the muscles I want to target (I get this more from Anthony), so I've pretty much moved away from Skogg. (also, trying to think of an inoffensive way of saying this...he talks way too much about things that have nothing to do with the workout for my taste, I don't enjoy his jokes, and have a strong preference for instructors who stick to business). Not only does he go over 6 basic moves, you also learn how to combine moves and structure a workout, which is pretty darn useful. Many days I just put together a workout with what I consider a selection of balanced moves that are interesting and challenging and low risk for me.

With the at-home DVDs, the camera work isn't always in synch with his instruction, so you aren't necessarily seeing what he is talking about. This is really annoying is he is introducing a new move and you can't see it. He also isn't doing the workouts himself (which means more talking!), and I'm not fond of those kinds of workouts.

I highly recommend the system for getting started. What you do from there depends on your own goals and taste in at-home workouts.
Excellent review. I appreciate your comments.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 04:01 PM  
akaAnnie

I love Skogg's system and had great results with it. I don't think it's only for beginners (I wasn't) and even though it was only 6 moves I was never bored with it.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skogg