Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-13, 06:09 AM  
Diana3271

Question AWT Question

I have been reading the replies from the Cathe/heavy weights thread. Several people mentioned about their body responding better to AWT. Are all the Firm workouts AWT? What are your favorite NON Firm AWT workouts? TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:15 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

All the classics are AWT.

Anything described as circuit is usually AWT. I love Cathe's Low Impact Circuit, Cathe's Cardio and Weights, Keli Roberts' Step it Strong.... anything that has intervals of cardio and intervals of weights, where you heart rate stays up a bit while you're doing the weights. I love Cardio Sculpt from BSS1, Leslie's original Walk Strong... Jessica Smith has a good one on Youtube but I forget what it's called (~~open another window~~) --OH, it's Cardio Dance Sculpt.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:23 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

How do you rotate this? I mean do you them back to back since they are lighter weight? Also, is metabolic conditioning is just another new name?

Cathe metabolic workouts just uses weight to keep HR up without all the impact. i.e. Superset, Afterburn, etc. I don't think it's a circuit where pure cardio/wt is alternated. And I don't think all muscle group are worked. So is this AWT too?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:30 AM  
Diana3271

Susan Thank you for your post. I saw your post in the other thread and that peaked my interest. I just took out my BSS1 DVD with Cardio Sculpt to look at it. Yesterday I did Project You Full Body Circuit, but it doesn't seem AWT. Any thoughts on this? I am thinking about picking out an AWT workout and doing that a couple times a week. I will rotate that with cardio since my body seems to prefer cardio.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 04-05-13, 07:36 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

OH, PY Full Body Circuit counts as AWT to me! The point is that you want the weight segment to be short enough, or intense enough, that your heart rate doesn't drop into the basement during them. Definitely doesn't happen to me during PY: FBC!

HDW, in the original Firm 90 day rotation, they have you doing "Hare" workout (AWT with an emphasis on cardio and lighter weights) with "Tortoise" workouts (AWT with an emphasis on weights, using heavier weights) back to back. I did that 90 day rotation about 15 years ago. I'm 49 now and wouldn't do it that way at this time.

I alternate cardio and AWT, and when doing the AWT I will modify down the cardio segments if necessary in order to be working my hardest with the weights, because I am doing pure cardio on my in between days.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:41 AM  
Diana3271

Susan My heart rate was up most of Project You. I used #10's. I have hamstring DOMS today. I am thrilled about this. I have done a variety of rotations and programs in the last year but didn't get DOMS. I just got wore out, achy, and bloated.

ETA: I'm not sure what's up with me and weights, but my body just doesn't seem to like them. I have done more weight workouts in the last year than I ever have. I have had other issues going on, though. My thyroid got out of whack due to stress. I finished 30DS last week. Since the weekend I have been doing more cardio and only did 2 weight training workouts. I feel less bloated and more energetic already. Not sure how long this will last, but I am enjoying it right now.

ETA2: I wonder if the problem I was having had more to do with doing weights daily? I felt bigger and bloated with 10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme and JM's 30DS.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 04-05-13, 03:49 PM  
PrairieGem

If we're defining AWT like it sounds--where you lift weights at a pace/intensity that keeps your HR up--then my two all-time favorite workouts would qualify: Cindy Whitmarsh's Ten Days to a Better Body, which alternates 1 minute of weights with 1 minute of cardio in two 35-minute workouts (UB/LB), and Amy Dixon's Women's Health Ultimate Fat Burn, which has 4 longer circuits (cardio/strength/cardio/strength). It's a nice mix of low-impact building to HIIT cardio, plus fun compound-move weights. I did both UFB and Breathless Body (modified) this week (not on the same day!), and I actually think I got a more intense workout from UFB!

I think the classic Jillians (30DS, etc) would also qualify.

Now, could somebody tell me what a "metabolic workout" is supposed to be? That seems to be the hot new buzzword these days!
Old 04-06-13, 08:17 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
If we're defining AWT like it sounds--where you lift weights at a pace/intensity that keeps your HR up--then my two all-time favorite workouts would qualify: Cindy Whitmarsh's Ten Days to a Better Body, which alternates 1 minute of weights with 1 minute of cardio in two 35-minute workouts (UB/LB), and Amy Dixon's Women's Health Ultimate Fat Burn, which has 4 longer circuits (cardio/strength/cardio/strength). It's a nice mix of low-impact building to HIIT cardio, plus fun compound-move weights. I did both UFB and Breathless Body (modified) this week (not on the same day!), and I actually think I got a more intense workout from UFB!
I have both of these workouts! I need to try them out again.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 04-13-13, 06:04 AM  
Diana3271

I tried the BSS1 Cardio Sculpt workout last week, but didn't like it. I have done Project You Full Body Circuit a couple times now and seem to enjoy it. This is big for me since I hate weights. I think I have been confused with the whole AWT/Circuit terminology. Then you add in the Firm's other wording like 4 limb, etc and it really confuses me. I think I was thinking that AWT = 4 limb movement using only light weights, throughout the entire workout.

Are there any other workouts like Project You Full Body Circuit? I like it that Kathy has a good amount of cardio in there, too.

TIA

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 04-13-13, 10:05 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I consider most of Kelly Coffey-Meyer's weight training workouts to be AWT--my HR definitely stays up for these! She is generally using moderate to heavy weights, yet moving quickly, and she often adds in brief cardio "rest" between the weight work that continue to keep your HR rate up.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote