Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-11, 11:23 AM  
bee1forfitness

What is Metabolic Training???

I was doing a search and found this..but for the life of me I can't figure out what Metabolic Training is, be it appears to be a trend of some sort. They offered a free 10 minute download as an example of the training or this link...but I still don't get it. If anyone can explain it to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 11:37 AM  
Sophie

well, from a quick cruise around their website, they seem to be using it as a term for a variation of high intensity interval training using more-or-less traditional weights, in order to stimulate hormonal release leading to greater fat oxidation, appetite suppression, and EPOC (the "afterburn" effect). These general ideas have been used by other trainers - as to how effective they are, you'd have to experiment and see for yourself.

I am downloading the video out of curiosity

eta: OK, after viewing the video I'm not sure I get it either - it's basic weight training with rest in between, but really short intense sets and really short rests. So I guess it's still HIIT. I'm not sure it looks like fun

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 02:12 PM  
KathAL79

Metabolic training does seem to be a term thrown around without a lot of clarification or definition. Sophie's definition seems to describe what most of the workouts I've personally seen are trying to accomplish. I thought there was supposed to be a strong cardio/get that heart rate up effect to metabolic circuits, so a pretty standard looking weights routine doesn't quite seem like the same thing, but then again with such a nebulous term a lot of things are going to get shoved under it because it's the hot flavor of the month.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 03:19 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I thought there was supposed to be a strong cardio/get that heart rate up effect to metabolic circuits, so a pretty standard looking weights routine doesn't quite seem like the same thing, but then again with such a nebulous term a lot of things are going to get shoved under it because it's the hot flavor of the month.
Kath, that's what I thought too when I saw the actual workout - I'd thought that some sort of cardio effect getting close to 85% HR was going to be a component, with the HR remaining somewhat elevated during the rest period. I'm not sure whether the guy in the video was going to be getting that (though I'm just watching, so what do I know).

I AM sure it doesn't look fun enough for me to want to do.

I too am starting to suspect it's more of a marketing term than something with a clearcut definition.

eta: well, here's an interesting page, in which they explain why their form of Rest based training is different from, and superior to, intervals. Thoughts?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 03:54 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

It's a 2009 marketing buzzword.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 07:02 PM  
dela

I have noticed it too associated with workouts like Peak 10 and Patrick Goudeau's Lean Hot Body, but I could not really define it.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 12:32 AM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Kath, that's what I thought too when I saw the actual workout - I'd thought that some sort of cardio effect getting close to 85% HR was going to be a component, with the HR remaining somewhat elevated during the rest period. I'm not sure whether the guy in the video was going to be getting that (though I'm just watching, so what do I know).

I AM sure it doesn't look fun enough for me to want to do.

I too am starting to suspect it's more of a marketing term than something with a clearcut definition.

eta: well, here's an interesting page, in which they explain why their form of Rest based training is different from, and superior to, intervals. Thoughts?
Okay, base on their explanation

"In rest-based workouts, the goal is to push as hard as possible for as long as possible with no pacing what so ever. And when rest is achieved through failure, rest only lasts as long as it takes to be able to deliver the same degree of intensity once again"

I think I get it, kinda like HIIT, but you workout till failure and then rest till you feel you have your energy up again to do it all over again. I think that calls for a lot of discipline or working out with a personal trainer. I don't have either. I was thinking of purchasing some of their downloads just to see...but I don't like their sample workout
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 06:35 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1forfitness View Post
Okay, base on their explanation

"In rest-based workouts, the goal is to push as hard as possible for as long as possible with no pacing what so ever. And when rest is achieved through failure, rest only lasts as long as it takes to be able to deliver the same degree of intensity once again"

I think I get it, kinda like HIIT, but you workout till failure and then rest till you feel you have your energy up again to do it all over again. I think that calls for a lot of discipline or working out with a personal trainer. I don't have either. I was thinking of purchasing some of their downloads just to see...but I don't like their sample workout
This is how Jade and Keoni Teta describe it and is the way their dvd is set up.
Old 03-30-11, 06:49 AM  
Helen

Here's my understanding - I'm NOT a trained expert, but have paid close attention about this stuff when it's been explained by people who are.

• Your metabolic rate rises when you add muscle to your body as muscle is more expensive to maintain than fat.
• To do that, you need to do high weight/low rep exercise with short rest periods. High intensity interval training is the version of that for your heart muscle.
• Doing longer sessions of lower intensity (steady state cardio, or low weight/high rep) trains your muscles to be more fuel-efficient, which means the muscles learn to use less fuel to get the work done (you burn fewer calories to shift do the same amount of work) - endurance oriented.

So.... fitness training that uses the term 'metabolic effect' is simply aimed at increasing the size of muscles (heart included I suppose), and reducing fuel efficiency so your metabolism is raised - you burn more calories when at rest.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metabolic, metabolic circuits, metabolic effect fitness, metabolic resistance, metabolic training