Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-20, 07:55 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

My mother retired around age 54 and this was pre-ACA days. She could not get anyone to insure her due to being obese although she had never had diabetes, high blood pressure or any health conditions or history of conditions or utilization of healthcare other than regular pap smears and mammograms.

She was finally able to get health insurance through a high risk pool offered by the state of Illinois for people like herself who could not get insured due to pre-existing conditions such as being obese. I think she paid around $300-400/month and never really used the insurance other than preventative care such as mammograms and a colonoscopy.

Finally she turned 65 and was able to get onto Medicare (still pre-ACA). She never has birthday parties or anything like that for herself but upon turning 65 she threw herself a "welcome to Medicare party" to celebrate with friends and family. Each of two cakes had a frosting prescription bottle on the top. They were not fancy cakes though so the frosting Rx bottle shapes aren't all that great IMO, but still kind of funny.

My dad continued to work (had his own business) but apparently could not add her to his own high deductible policy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	medicare_cakes.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	4672  
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 08:36 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Gams, insurance rates through ACA are based on household income. My retired husband worked for over 40 years for a major company and receives retirement income from them in addition to his social security. Our household income is simply too high to qualify for any reasonable rates through ACA. I checked them out and my rates would be the same as those I can find on my own.

Annette, when I was shopping for individual health insurance I went directly on insurance companies websites such as BCBS of Illinois, United Healthcare and others in my state. Cost for individual insurance was basically the same with every carrier. I also contacted insurance broker I know who works with corporate clients as well as individuals and she basically told me I'm not going to find anything reasonable because of my age, and quoted me the same crazy prices as I found on my own. I guess I'm out of luck until I'm eligible for Medicare.
Old 02-23-20, 08:40 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post

Finally she turned 65 and was able to get onto Medicare (still pre-ACA). She never has birthday parties or anything like that for herself but upon turning 65 she threw herself a "welcome to Medicare party" to celebrate with friends and family. .
Adawn, too funny! I'm not into birthdays either but I love the idea of celebrating when I finally become eligible for Medicare!
Old 02-23-20, 09:31 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Annette, believe me, I understand. I left my toxic job when it got to the point that the stress level was affecting my health. I feel lucky that my DH could cover my health insurance, since COBRA at my job wouldn't be effective long enough for me to reach medicare age. I contemplated going back to work, but I think that last job just exhausted me to the point that I couldn't bear the idea of possibly repeating the experience I just left. So 2 1/2 years later I'm still not working. However, I honestly don't know if I would have left if my DH couldn't add me to his policy.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 09:14 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I won't be retiring until I'm Medicare eligible and even then I'll probably continue to work, because I'm petrified of losing my employee health insurance. I might just continue working until they carry me out.

When I do retire, before taking advantage of more time to work out, my plan is to just sleep, nap, and sleep some more.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 09:52 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I still have anywhere from 5-8 years left before I can retire. Healthcare is our biggest concern as well.

My plan is to workout as much as I want, declutter our house, and to travel more (maybe buy a small motor home so we can take our time).
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 12:59 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
We decided to put our home on a home exchange website and as I write this we are in France enjoying our 15th exchange. It has made travel very affordable. We’ve been to France four times, Hawaii twice, Italy, Switzerland, the Caribbean, Ireland, the UK, and a few places here in Canada.
Do you mind sharing the name of the home exchange website you use?

You are living my dream life! I am so ready to move to a downtown condo so I have no yardwork to worry about and can walk everywhere I want to be (shopping, restaurants, theaters). Youngest leaves for college this fall . . . I can't really retire quite yet, but my job schedule is very flexible and humane and I am ready to start seeing more of the world.
Old 02-25-20, 08:16 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I won't be retiring until I'm Medicare eligible and even then I'll probably continue to work, because I'm petrified of losing my employee health insurance. I might just continue working until they carry me out.

When I do retire, before taking advantage of more time to work out, my plan is to just sleep, nap, and sleep some more.
Pat, I love your retirement plan! Sleeping is becoming my favorite pastime but with only the weekends to get so many things done napping doesn't happen often. There was a short span, around 3 months several years ago, I was unemployed. I had never felt so rested in my life!
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 08:32 AM  
Carol K

There was a period of time when my husband and I were both laid off and we got to sleep until we woke up. Preview of retirement.
Old 02-28-20, 08:15 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I'm in the same mindset right now.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement