Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-17, 10:03 AM  
Izzy

I shop at Aldi about once a month to stock up. Their produce can be hit or miss but I have never had issues with it. I have bought their chicken and brats in terms of meats. Their chocolate and coffee is really good. I agree with the wine as well. You can get a lot of name brand items for less than other stores. I buy their paper goods, trash bags, some pharmaceutical items as well. I like that you bring your own bags.

My one advise is avoid Saturday mornings. They are always super super busy.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 10:05 AM  
sherry7899

Izzy-thanks! I avoid all grocery stores on Saturday mornings!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 10:39 AM  
donnamp

I have been to Aldi a few times and at a few locations and it is hit or miss. Some locations are better than others. So, fingers crossed you have one of the good ones!!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 10:39 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Donna. It is newly built, so I hope it is a nice one.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 10:41 AM  
donnamp

in MD we can't buy wine there, unfortunately - we also can't buy it at Trader Joe's, Costco, or Wegman's. Why, Maryland???? WHY?

Donna
Old 11-16-17, 10:47 AM  
PhyllisG

Been there twice. Gave it a second chance but never went back.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 11:23 AM  
cherimac

Sherry, with our situation starting in June, we moved and now have an Aldi and Walmart. Our grocery bill has gone down $150 at least per month, with no significant change in how we eat, or the quality. I really like the ground beef we get from Aldi...we can even afford organic and grass fed there for burger night. The ground turkey is good. Chicken is hit or miss and I usually get that at Walmart.

I love their spices, canned goods, bread(I don't eat that but my husband and son do), nut butters, spinach, zucchini, potatoes(sweet and white), lettuce, apples, (bananas are better at Walmart) and frozen pizza for pizza night for my son. I find frozen fruits and veggies to have more variety and be a better deal at Walmart. I also find quinoa to be less expensive at Walmart.

I haven't bought yogurt or Almond Milk there because I'm picky and have to pick up my favorites, Quark and Califia farms, at Publix.
Old 11-16-17, 11:25 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
in MD we can't buy wine there, unfortunately - we also can't buy it at Trader Joe's, Costco, or Wegman's. Why, Maryland???? WHY?

Donna
Liquor store owners, that's why.

Re: Aldi, click on the tag for a couple previous threads. We go there regularly for milk and eggs, and I love their chocolate and other imported German specialties, especially around Christmas. I've also gotten some good stuff from their seasonal non-food aisle, like workout shorts for around $7. They put out lots of fitness stuff in January like other stores used to do in olden days.

They now accept credit cards, and while you still have to provide your own bags (just like the warehouse stores, yet no one seems to mind that?) they sell large bags with handles for around a buck. At our Aldi's, people will often come up and "buy" our cart for a quarter right after we unload, saving a trip back to the store

ETA: Wednesday is the most crowded day at our Aldi's because they have limited-amount meat deals that day. Every store around here is mobbed on Saturday.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 11:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Grocery stores cannot sell wine in CT or RI either, for that matter - those old puritanical laws are still on the books! You used to have to have all alcoholic beverages leave the store in a "covered bag" (oh the shame) which is why we call them "packies" up here.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 11:45 AM  
donnamp

I moved from one backwards liquor state (Pennsylvania) to another! UGH!

Donna

Tags
aldi