Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-04, 04:24 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
As for why the advanced video market is shrinking, perhaps Father Time is to blame. The first vidiot generation and its instructors are heading full steam ahead into middle age. Our spirits may be willing, but our flesh ain't getting any younger! I know I've cut back a lot in the last couple of years, especially after having 2 kids, and I'm more conscious of my knees and back. I bet a lot of our high-intensity heroes and heroines are ready for a break, even though it's hard for them to admit it. (At least Greg T. came right out and said his hi-lo days are behind him.)
Great point, Sue!! I am more conscious of avoiding injury now that I'm over 40, so I am no longer doing high impact for aerobic workouts. I would like to see some tougher strength workouts being released along the lines of Cathe's Slow & Heavy. The good thing about all of this is that if you can't find what you want on DVD, you can always just devise your own workout. That will save you money, too.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 06:24 AM  
crookedhalo_grl

you all have great points!

I'm a rather new vidiot. A lot of what I'm doing and trying is because of all the wonderful recommendations and reviews here. I hear about something new or something old that a lot of people like and I do my research to see if it's something I should invest in. If it weren't for VF I wouldn't have heard of half of these instructors or workouts. That could be because I live overseas and don't get infomercials. But really, how is the marketing for these workouts? If it were more "mainstream" then it'd open up to the new generation. As is, I think word of mouth is producing sales.

Right now di*ts and gyms are popular. There's LA weightloss, Curves, WW, Bally and 24hr fitness. You see comercials about those all the time. Maybe better advertising would result in better profits. I also believe in progressive workouts and series. It starts you easy but works you up. I tried Firm when I was a beginner exerciser and just couldn't do it. I gave up and lost faith in videos for a while. With more progressive type series they could appeal to beginners while still keeping advanced customers.

JMHO,
Angel
crookedhalo_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 07:32 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan
So, anyway, the reason why I was thinking about this is because I just got my free Body-B-Fit DVD. She made all these DVD's herself on a very low budget, right? Could this be a new trend? I was reading something about this phenomenon in the music industry - musicians make their own CD's on their home computers, package them up, and sell. New instructors could come onto the market with minimal expense. Advanced workouts could be created for a smaller market without losing money. Anyway, just something to think about.
Interesting Point Megan!!! And I have to agree. I heard on the news that Starbucks is going to be offering a "Make your own cd" ... where YOU pick the music and make your cd of only the songs you like!!!! Their production quality will be up to par though.

If the advance market (which I must emphasis: IS A BUSINESS and LIVLIEHOOD for these instructors!) ..... goes that way, it will prove very interesting. I'm not a big one for production quality ... I can live with older tapes, (think Spinervals) and quirky ones (think FitPrime.....) ... but I know a large number of VF'ers will not be satisfied. Then again, it will give us something to talk about!

And the market is not necessarily growing. I think we are aware of it as we are so INTO it. I for one, have a collection that is quite satisfactory at this point in time.I can wait for reviews and see what people are offering (except for no-brainer-for-me presales --- Cathe, Spinervals!) ..... And wait till some go retail (FIRM!) ...... I like new tapes for a reward or pick-me-up, but I can go on my shelf and pull off some oldies-but-goodies that I haven't done in moons and get the same satisfaction while saving money!!!!

Someone pointed out to me (thank you!) when I was whining about VF changing .... that perhaps I have changed and the more I thought about it, the more I realized they are correct. Maybe after 5 years, I've found my niche (which can/will/does change!) ..... I don't have the need to go to conferences or buy new tapes ..... but I still do look for the gatherings. For me it's all about the people. (stop straying Cleda! Focus! Back on topic please....... ... So I think the instructors are right in going to more basic, easy-to-teach and catch on choreo, and the BUSINESS aspect of it........ Even 4 years ago when I belonged to a gym, I was VERY Disappointed in their live classes as they just were too basic for my taste.
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 07:40 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Edington
That's true, Carol, but neither the Step Co. nor Cathe would have gone in that direction if they hadn't been aware that there was a need in the market for beginner/intermediate workouts. My guess, and that's all it is, is that Cathe will do this again, if only to continue to introduce more into her workout family at the beginner level and thereby develop a larger potential customer base for her advanced workouts.
I think you're right Martha -- and it's a good idea to get to a larger audience.

There are more and more instructors out there and the competition is sharpening. Lots and lots of beginner vids, lots and lots of intermediate. Cathe used to be more or less by herself with advanced strength (I consider the Firm to be intermediate) and now there's BeachBody. The emergence of BB as a viable marketer belies the shrinking advanced market theory of course because P90X is certainly geared for that market.

I think Sue B is onto something with the pioneer vid users growing into their "maturity". I don't do high impact anymore, that's for sure (but I never liked it much). However, my strength/yoga/pilates needs are more advanced now (at 59) than they were at 37 (when I started). But as I advance in those areas I find I don't need much fresh vid material -- I just adapt what I have or develop my own routines. I find I don't need to do very many strength workouts a week since after over 20 years, my foundation is pretty solid. I have no patience (or time) left for new routines that are more gimmick than iron.

Still need fresh complex choreography though for indoor cardio -- although most days I prefer to take it on the road.

I think for us old-timers our horizons are broader now, our lives are more complex and we know what works for us and what we need -- and sometimes what we need is less.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 08:37 AM  
KathAL79

I think it takes instructors a while to become "known," so I'm not too worried about the lack of under 30 instructors. (Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how old Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Billy Blanks, etc. were before they became household names?) I know there are some superstars out there waiting for their moment, but, with what seems to be an explosion over the last decade or so of the home video / DVD market, they could easily get lost in the crowd. I know Minna Lessig has the potential to be big, for example, but she's taken herself out of production for a few years to have children, which is another issue for women instructors.
I'm suprised and thankful that so many of our star instructors--who aren't getting any younger--haven't toned down the intensity, complexity, etc. a lot, and it's to their credit that they forge ahead with the advanced routines.
I was wondering yesterday if Cathe, Christi, and the like are training people to whom they could pass the torch. I would be surprised if there aren't some people out there learning from these instructors and waiting (perhaps out of respect) for them to step down so they can step up. I know I would be intrigued by a Christi protege . . .
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 09:04 AM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
I was wondering yesterday if Cathe, Christi, and the like are training people to whom they could pass the torch. I would be surprised if there aren't some people out there learning from these instructors and waiting (perhaps out of respect) for them to step down so they can step up. I know I would be intrigued by a Christi protege . . .
During our visit to Sedona, Christi mentioned training a Japanese gal who she met on a recent trip to Japan. I'm pretty sure she mentioned the possiblity of having her lead a workout video. Anyone else remember that discussion at Christi's house?
Mary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 09:08 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
Smith is just over 50 now I believe and, as I remember, she was beginning to be known in the mid-80s.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 01:35 PM  
RovinUSA
VF Supporter

Megan wrote:
"So, anyway, the reason why I was thinking about this is because I just got my free Body-B-Fit DVD. She made all these DVD's herself on a very low budget, right? Could this be a new trend? I was reading something about this phenomenon in the music industry - musicians make their own CD's on their home computers, package them up, and sell. New instructors could come onto the market with minimal expense. Advanced workouts could be created for a smaller market without losing money. Anyway, just something to think about."

And Helen wrote:

"So maybe Wendilee's plan is the wave of the future."

You may both be right. I have seen the same thing happen with books... it used to be that in order to get published you had to convince a book publisher that they will sell enough copies to make it worth their (considerable) investment to print the book and market it. Now, anyone can self publish an ebook for next to nothing and sell it through their website. This is good and bad - it means that a lot of good books that just didn't have a big (read profitable) enough market can now be made available for a reasonable cost. But it also means that any crackpot can publish a book, no matter how weird or poorly written, and possibly sucker in potential buyers, especially if he markets it well.

Vidiot buyer beware, is all I can say...

Shelley
RovinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 03:07 PM  
janetb
VF Supporter

Great points all around! A lot of good observations about the video market!

I just wanted to add that one reason that the market for advanced videos is currently limited is that there is still the widespread myth that exercise videos are only for wimps; that you can't get a serious workout using exercise videos. Hey, I used to believe it until I tried exercise videos a couple of years ago. The problem perpetuates itself when they only available videos advertised on infommercials and available in stores are geared towards the sedentary/couch potato population. Beginners may still be the largest potential market for videos, but I do believe that many more already fit exercisers would turn to videos if they realized they could get a great workout with them.

As an advanced exercisers, I find myself content with the choices. More advanced options have emmerged recently besided Cathe; theres P90x, TLPs, Mindy, and many others. Of course, vfers will always be be hungry for more; we're never completely satisfied.

Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 05:10 PM  
Dabbadooey

I have never understood why Leslie Sansone did not make at least one series for the "advanced walker". I guess she feels there's no market for it. Right now I'm awaiting the release in January of the first installment of Wendilee's walking venture.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote