Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-04, 03:08 AM  
Debbie M

Talking Warning: Do not open if you are sick of "de-bulking" and "leaning legs" threads!

The following is not scientific study data by any means, but then the experience of others is equally if not more useful.

This month's Oxygen had two Q&A pages that caught my attention because of all the recent scientific debate regarding training without gaining size or "de-bulking".

The first was a Q&A for Victoria Pratt involving how she changed her workout routine from that of a fitness model to that of a TV/movie actress. Victoria's responded that she was too buff for TV at first and did indeed have to change her routine to reduce muscle. (BTW: In my personal opinion she was one of the models who never looked overdeveloped to me, but TV calls for a much leaner look.)

She posted the following before and after workout schedules, pointing out that kickboxing had really whittled her waist and that she spends little time on weights because her supersets only take 20 minutes to complete.

Before:
Day 1: back and abs (4 exercises, 3 sets), 45 minutes cardio
Day 2: chest and abs (4 exercises, 3 sets), 45 minutes cardio
Day 3: legs and abs (6 exercises, 3 sets), 30 minutes cardio
Day 4: off
Day 5: shoulders and abs (4 exercises, 3 sets), 45 minutes cardio
Day 6: arms and abs (4 exercises, 3 sets), 45 minutes cardio
Day 7: off

After:
Day 1: kickboxing class, 30 minutes cardio
Day 2: upper/lower body supersets and abs, 45 minutes cardio
Day 3: kickboxing class
Day 4: 1.5 hour hike or Rollerblade
Day 5: kickboxing class, 30 minutes cardio
Day 6: upper/lower body supersets and abs, 45 minutes cardio
Day 7: 60 minutes cardio

So, she basically took her muscularity down by; replacing focused one body part strength training with rapid full body supersets, increasing cardio and adding kickboxing.

The second Q&A was asked of Jamie Franklin, fitness competitor. A 5'3" 140 pound athletic woman who was proud of the muscular body she had built wanted advice on how to lean out her legs to achieve a "less thick" appearance.

Jamie, surprisingly said that the best option would be to be proud of her muscular legs, as some women strive for years to develop muscle. She then admitted that as a competitior, toning down her legs has always been her biggest challenge. She worked with a personal trainer with the specific intent of bringing down the size of her legs, while adding shape and muscle tone.

The following are her recommendations:

1) Cardio split into two daily sessions of 30-45 minutes, 6 days a week.
2) Do a variety of unweighted lunges (at least two types per leg workout).
3) Do not use weights for any exercises unless they target the glutes and hamstrings specifically (such as butt blaster, leg curls, stiff leged deadlift). This helps keep the butt shapely without over developing the quads which is common.
4) Do plyometric movements (such as jump lunges, jump squats) as they add shape without any bulk (she recommended incorporating at least one plyo move per leg workout).
5) Keep your leg workouts fast paced with short breaks.
6) Healthy diet to provide the proper fuel for this intense traing schedule.

All in all, nothing earth shattering, but more evidence of the usual advice.

Deb

Last edited by Debbie M; 09-26-04 at 04:23 AM. Reason: typos
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 07:26 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Just chuckling at your thread title!

Wondering whether to continue with all those weighted leg presses! Cathe and The Firm load up their workouts with those. I always feel those work my quads like cracy, but at the same time, I like what they do for the glutes.

I'm not anti-muscle at all, I just want to be able to fit into my pants without my quads tearing through the fabric.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 07:43 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Very interesitng! Is this in Sept Oxygen or current one at newstand which might be Oct or November. Thanks.
Marie
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 09:25 AM  
Dawn
VF Supporter

Thanks so much Deb. I gave up on heavy weights for the lower body a long time ago because my quads get way too muscular. This will give me some great ideas for new rotations.

Dawn
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 09:39 AM  
Seabush

Once a week I use gym equipment to do leg presses, leg curls and leg extensions. I like seeing myself progress to heavier weights. I only do three sets. I don't think that's very much. However, it seems to be enough to get measurable improvements in strength. Other than that short workout session, I don't use weights during lower body workouts.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 10:31 AM  
RovinUSA
VF Supporter

Thanks Crystal! This is very helpful. I'll be looking for Oxygen at the newsstand today. Which issue is it?

I have had a similar experience. Though I am still overweight and working to lose fat, my legs look so much better now that I am not using any tallbox or weights for lower body. Instead I am doing ramping and short sessions of unweighted lower body moves like deadlifts and lunges and plie squats and rear leg lifts. It took a long time to debulk my thighs though - many months. Sometimes less really is more!

Shelley
RovinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 10:32 AM  
Sunshine

Smile

Interesting! I find that weighted lower leg work thins out my thighs and hips.. I use weights as much as possible because of the slimming effect.

I do the squats, lunges and pliees with 36 lb barbell and lately with 40 lb barbell.
and I do abductor and adductor and floorwork with an 8 1/2 lb ankle weight per leg.

but then I'm curling 20 lbs per hand and I still don't have that bicep bulge on the arm either.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 10:45 AM  
Seabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinUSA
Thanks Crystal! This is very helpful. I'll be looking for Oxygen at the newsstand today. Which issue is it?

I have had a similar experience. Though I am still overweight and working to lose fat, my legs look so much better now that I am not using any tallbox or weights for lower body. Instead I am doing ramping and short sessions of unweighted lower body moves like deadlifts and lunges and plie squats and rear leg lifts. It took a long time to debulk my thighs though - many months. Sometimes less really is more!

Shelley
Shelley,

I haven't eliminated tall box work. I love step-ups. I just don't do lots of sets. I try to do 2-3 10-15 minute routines each week that involves plie squats, deadlifts, step-ups, and one-leg squats. Lunges don't agree with my knees. I substitute one-leg squats for any move that involves lunges. I find one-legged squats to be particularly effective in working the thigh.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 12:45 PM  
Daphne M

Thanks, Debbie

I build muscle easily, especially in my upper body. I don't like how I look when my upper body beefs up. I lean out pretty well by doing cardio and also by doing the kind of weight workouts described above.

Surprisingly, the other workout that gives my upper body a more streamlined look is Cathe's Slow & Heavy series. I am not sure why this type of workout is so effective for me, but it is. I am guessing that the very slow moves with light to moderate weights activate the muscle fibers differently.

Or maybe I'm just a freak!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 03:12 PM  
Debbie M

November Issue

It is the November issue that just hit the stands on the 19th of September. It has a whote cover with a girl in light blue workout wear.

Sunshine: You are one of the women that Jamie is referring to who works to add the muscle! We are all different and this advice would only suit those who need to work hard not too gain too much muscle! Even then, all bodies respond differently. Just some ideas.

Deb

Last edited by Debbie M; 09-26-04 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling of advice!
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower body results, oxygen, rollerblades, thigh slimming