Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-04, 04:04 PM  
RovinUSA
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctfitnut
Looks like it turned a bit nasty....as usual.
I'm not trying to be nasty. I think Wendilee asked for that one. I have never posted on a Body B Fit thread before (though I certainly read them). The thing is, I wasn't angry before, when she didn't have current certifications, and that alone wasn't what made me decide her workouts weren't for me. It was the reviews from other VFers that I trust, and my own observations of her behavior, that factored in that decision. I was almost impressed when I got this email from her, bragging about her new certifications. But then I found out what she had really done, and frankly it disgusted me. I feel like she is trying to pull one over on us. Does she think we are stupid? She oughta know we are going to check up on stuff like that, and who could resist a free online quiz with instant results? I never expected it would be that easy, but when it was, I figured out pretty quick that this is a crock.

Wendilee has to know this is not legit. If she really thinks this is on the up and up, why did she pull the source of her certifications off her website after this thread got 'nasty'?

Shelley
Old 09-20-04, 04:04 PM  
Tait
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabush
I think some probably think that Wendilee can't seem to get a break here. She was criticized royally for not having certifications. She goes out and get some certifications. We then demonstrate how truly easy they are to obtain. Some may think we are mocking her and/or going out of our way to devalue her credentials. IFA doesn't seem to be the leading fitness credentialing organization but they are a member of the National Organization for Competency Assurance (NOCA). I think that gives them some legitimacy.

I could care less about the certification issue. Wendilee is very creative in what she does. The outlines of her workouts are fresh and innovative. If she cut back on the pace of her workouts and did more editing to ensure that any gaffes in form, pace, etc. were corrected prior to production, she would be widely popular and any criticisms of her workouts would be greatly diminished.

Crystal
Wendilee may have other credentials that she will be adding from other places. This may just be the first place that she went. She is trying to address the concerns of her customers by doing this IMO.

I think I would have passed over these and went somewhere else first but we all do things our own way and in our own time. It doesn't seem that these mean a great deal but honestly I never pay attention to anyone's credentials so what do I know.

Susan
Old 09-20-04, 04:11 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

See, I'm not so certain that the form issues are an editing question. I don't think they're lapses. I think Wendliee doesn't comprehend basic alignment principles. This is based on my early encounters with her first DVDs, but is strongly reinforced by the photograph she uses on the opening page of her website - not the one on top - but the "Meet Wendilee" one (scroll down) where she's sitting in a slumped position with her shoulders in her neck. That is not a photograph that Karen Voight or Kathy Smith or any instructor I can think of would use to introduce herself. The same posture is evident in her Reist-A-Band workshop - she slouches, missaligns her shoulder girdle, breaks her wrist when holding the band.

These would not be observations I'd discuss except that she touts herself as a personal trainer and fitness instructor. They aren't editing problems - they're form/posture/alignment problems that will require considerable work with a skilled exercise physiologist, or dance instructor.

It concerns me that it is exactly the people who *don't* see this stuff that she's marketing to. The mistakes she makes reduce the effectiveness of her workouts, and are potentially dangerous.

This problem is compounded by her decision to get certified through less than reputable institutions where, apparently, no one has even had to observe her teach.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Old 09-20-04, 04:16 PM  
MickiV
VF Supporter

Uh, were we talking about Wendilee?

First of all, I've never seen a Wendilee workout... so basically I don't care whether she is certified or not. I've been thoroughly enjoying this thread and the discussion of this certifying organization. (By the way I passed the Fitness Instructor test by randomly choosing answers... very good fun.) I thought this was a useful and interesting and funny thread.

I guess I'm just saying I don't think there's anything nasty about the thread. I'm a professional computer applications teacher. I'm certified by Microsoft in three versions of the Microsoft Office suite. If I tell my students that information, they can feel free to check out that certification and see what it's all about. I don't make a big deal about it. I just tell them it means I passed some tests. But I don't think I could be offended if a student looked up my certifications. I think that's being a good consumer.

The facts of being a professional in any field include accepting criticism and realizing that not everyone is going to love you. It's really ok. If Wendilee is a real talent, she'll learn that and improve.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying I don't think this thread has been "nasty" at all.

Micki
Old 09-20-04, 04:21 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C
It concerns me that it is exactly the people who *don't* see this stuff that she's marketing to. The mistakes she makes reduce the effectiveness of her workouts, and are potentially dangerous.
It seems to me that that's a risk we all take every time we use a workout video. Although we are the "educated crowd," perhaps we should pay a little more attention to the certifications and backgrounds of our chosen instructors. We have all felt the wrong kind of burn when someone criticizes exercise videos as if they were all alike. Perhaps we should be more concerned about those videos that show us in a bad light.
Old 09-20-04, 04:36 PM  
Alan

I think this is the coolest thread to happen at VF in months! Just got my certification in sports nutrition, although I wasn't able to pass by guessing at random like someone else did. BTW, pass rate is 70% for anyone who's curious.

We should start a list of certifications that anyone can get.
Old 09-20-04, 04:39 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I bet BBF has that list...
Old 09-20-04, 04:40 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I think this is the coolest thread to happen at VF in months! Just got my certification in sports nutrition, although I wasn't able to pass by guessing at random like someone else did. BTW, pass rate is 70% for anyone who's curious.

Not only is VF a source of information and entertainment, it's a great source for professional development!
Old 09-20-04, 04:44 PM  
Debbie M

Unhappy Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinUSA
I'm not trying to be nasty. I think Wendilee asked for that one. I have never posted on a Body B Fit thread before (though I certainly read them). The thing is, I wasn't angry before, when she didn't have current certifications, and that alone wasn't what made me decide her workouts weren't for me. It was the reviews from other VFers that I trust, and my own observations of her behavior, that factored in that decision. I was almost impressed when I got this email from her, bragging about her new certifications. But then I found out what she had really done, and frankly it disgusted me. I feel like she is trying to pull one over on us. Does she think we are stupid? She oughta know we are going to check up on stuff like that, and who could resist a free online quiz with instant results? I never expected it would be that easy, but when it was, I figured out pretty quick that this is a crock.

Wendilee has to know this is not legit. If she really thinks this is on the up and up, why did she pull the source of her certifications off her website after this thread got 'nasty'?

Shelley
I don't think this thread was ever one little bit nasty. The first nastiness was calling it nasty! I do admit that there was underlying sarcasm towards the organization and what a farse it is for them to to hand out toilet paper certifications.

I do agree with Shelly that by Wendilee so proudly announcing how she passed these exams and having everyone congratulate her, is in a way leading people on. Most of her followers look to her for personal training and nutritional advice, thinking that she has more knowledge than they do.

I also agree with Jane that form and body aligment are not at all the same thing as production value (which to me refers to the set, lighting, camera work, music, etc).

Wendilee is now saying that she does not do "exercise videos" but instead brings the "personal trainer experience" into your home. On the other hand, those VFers who are reviewing her Slow and Heavy workout have to ignore her, turn the sound off, etc. because of her poor counting and form??

Shelly..I cannot believe that she deleted the source of her certifications from her forum because of this thread? Are you serious? I guess some things never change!

Deb
Old 09-20-04, 04:54 PM  
pipsqueak3211

I'm pretty disgusted myself over these certifications. I was on my way out the door when I posted this morning and didn't have time to check them out. I'm glad some VFers did. I was surprised she used IFA since she used to have ACE certification. I feel she purposely misled people and is now trying to cover it up. Hopefully, she'll take the time to get some real certifications.

BTW I am now a certified Sports Nutritionist. With my newly vested powers, I proclaim jelly bellies a new food group. In fact, since Jelly Bellies come in fruit flavors like pear I mandate everyone eat at least 3 servings a day to complete their fruit intake requirement. Elisabeth
Closed Thread