Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-18, 02:19 PM  
sherry7899

Donna-we now have two Wawa locations in our town. Our son is very happy about that!

I will likely skip most of the canned goods at Aldi. We belong to BJ's, so I can get organic canned tomatoes and name brand canned kidney/pinto/chick peas for cheap there. The price for large containers of Greek yogurt are cheaper at BJ's also.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 03:04 PM  
monkapotapus

I love Aldi!
Our store is small, but clean.
The produce is generally in great condition (unless it gets frozen on a truck, which happens sometimes here during WI. winters)
The turnover rate on goods is extremely fast - I think they have deliveries every other day, if not every day now!

Aldi is one of my primary stores for groceries (very inexpensive) and then I go to Walmart for the rest. The other stores in my area are way more expensive then these stores (the nearest TJ is 1 1/2 hours away).

At Aldi I have bought (though my husband and I are transitioning to Vegan this month, so a lot of those things will drop off my list):

Almond milk (either unsweetened, or sweetened vanilla)
Plain Greek yogurt
Eggs
Avocados
Celery
Different lettuces (not the cut up bagged versions)(Romaine hearts/iceberg (taco salad)/artisan lettuce/organic spring mix)
Spinach
Carrots
Tomatoes (fresh and canned organic)
Potatoes
Mushrooms (fresh and canned)
Lemons/limes
Fresh fruits: Pineapple/mango/grapes/kiwi/apple (org)/oranges/cuties/strawberries/raspberries/blueberries/blackberries/etc
Canned beans
Organic dried lentils
Whole wheat tortillas
Ciabatta rolls
Whole wheat bread
Family packs of fresh chicken
Frozen shrimp (popcorn and coconut)
Frozen fruits/veggies
Fresh deli style pizza
Black olives
Spices
Organic Olive oil
Organic turbinado sugar
Nuts/seeds (raw versions and salted ones)
Granola bars (many varieties)
Crunchy granola raisin bran
Cheeses (their sharp cheddar block is one of my favorites out of even name brands)
Gluten-free brown rice spaghetti
Regular pastas & specialty ones (german ribbon style)
Jar pasta sauces (organic)
Organic broths (chicken/beef/vegetable)
Cocoa powder
Peanut butter
Organic coconut oil
Organic juices
Canned soups
Cottage cheese
Sour cream
Different chips/crackers (the organic blue tortilla ones were a favorite)
Special buy type items (I have gotten pictures/body pillows/poop emoji slippers/etc)
We recently purchased some of the new Vegan burgers, but haven't tried them yet
....the Vegan cheese tastes gross to us....

& Probably more things I have forgotten

I actually prefer a lot of Aldi version foods over name brand & a lot of them do not have crappy ingredients.

There are a few things I do not care for from there
Albacore tuna (low quality when I tried years ago - haven't bought it since) & sugar snap peas (too stringy)

Aldi saves us tons of money on groceries!!
If you have different stores in your area, I would check them out - they might have different foods available!
monkapotapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 04:29 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for the list. I am hoping the produce will improve. I am totally spoiled by the produce from Wegmans so I am really picky. I may buy cashew butter next time. It was a good price.

Old 01-16-18, 04:41 PM  
wendug

Sherry- Glad you made your first trip to Aldi and enjoyed it! I can't do all my shopping there, either, but definitely worth the trip for some items!

What is Wawa? I've never heard of it before!
Old 01-16-18, 05:07 PM  
sherry7899

Wawa is a convience store with really good coffee, sandwiches and pretzels They also have good wrap sandwiches , breakfast items and healthy choices also. They used to mainly be in Pennsylvania, but they now have stores in multiple states.

Old 01-16-18, 08:56 PM  
sherry7899

Has anyone tried Aldi's coffee which is sold in cans? I'm asking for my husband. He does NOT like strong coffee. He prefers medium roast and breakfast blends.
Any opinions on the canned coffee, please? Thanks! There were two types at the Aldi's near us.

Old 01-16-18, 09:33 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Sherry, I've tried a bunch of their coffee pods, but not the cans. It isn't very flavorful, but that might be just right for your husband.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 07:00 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

I have tried the coffee in bags, it was ok - I don't remember loving it or hating it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 07:14 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you Donna and Lynn. Hopefully someone has tried the coffee from the cans

Old 01-17-18, 03:23 PM  
desderata

As others have said, the local Aldi has a poor selection of produce and most of it is way past its prime. The dark chocolate is very good and I once bought an excellent spiral cut ham there. The selection is small and not reliable - it doesn't always have the same products. My sister likes it but since 80% of what I buy is produce, I go to a store with excellent quality fruits and veggies.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aldi