Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-17, 08:43 AM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Jez - sending gentle hugs. I hate this disease.
Back at you, Pat. It's certainly been a learning experience.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 01:50 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Hazel, best wishes for a successful surgery. I remembered something else from my bunion surgery recovery -- I cooked my way through all the recipes in Denise Austin's Tone Your Belly Type book.
Thank you, Cynthia! Second opinion is tomorrow, then hopefully I can get this scheduled sometime in the next two weeks. Now that I know it's happening, I'm ready to get on with it.

Very impressive that you were able to do all that cooking on one leg!
Old 01-16-18, 08:53 PM  
JezthePuff2

Hazel:

Just wondered if you had your surgery? If so, how are you doing?

I had a check-up yesterday (almost six weeks since surgery), and my doctor cleared me to do a little walking as long as I had my walking boot on. While I'm far from zipping around, I'm doing pretty well! I'm still working remotely, and that's been a real blessing.

Old 01-17-18, 10:21 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
Hazel:

Just wondered if you had your surgery? If so, how are you doing?

I had a check-up yesterday (almost six weeks since surgery), and my doctor cleared me to do a little walking as long as I had my walking boot on. While I'm far from zipping around, I'm doing pretty well! I'm still working remotely, and that's been a real blessing.
Jez, you are so sweet to check in with me! I had the surgery one week ago (January 10). All went well -- the doctor said I had really great bones, which was great to hear! I had my first post op checkup Monday and he was very pleased with how it looked (I thought it was pretty frightening myself). Stitches come out next Monday. I don't have a cast -- just dressings and an Ace bandage -- but I am supposed to wear the boot any time I'm up and about.

I feel fine during the day -- no real pain to speak of -- but have had trouble sleeping. Thursday night when the nerve block wore off was agonizing! Then I had two decent nights of sleep but last night and the night before I was up every hour in pain and Percocet doesn't touch it. it's odd but I'm hoping only temporary. I'm hoping I'll be able to sleep on my side again once the stitches come out but for now that makes my instep (where the fusion is) ache so I'm doing my best on my back.

Not sure exactly how long I'll be non-weight-bearing -- he said anywhere from 2-4 weeks, the another 2-4 weeks in the boot, although be use I've also got a pin the the second toe, I'll have to walk on the heel for at least six weeks so it doesn't bend and send me back for revision surgery.

I'm glad to hear you are getting a little more mobility -- that must feel good! How has walking felt? I'm hoping once the stitches come out I can do some seated upper body, floor legs, and maybe some core work. But we'll see -- as hard as it is to sit here doing nothing, I definitely don't want to do anything to set myself back!

Thanks again for asking!
Old 01-19-18, 11:23 AM  
JezthePuff2

Glad to hear you are doing well. You know, I had a very similar experience with the pain. The second day was tough, but I took the Percocet and got through it. I was okay for a couple of days, but then the fourth night (I think), I couldn't sleep because my foot was throbbing. The Percocet didn't help. I was considering waking my husband so we could call the hotline they gave me, but I eventually fell asleep. The next day was fine. Weird!

I wasn't allowed any weight until almost the six week mark. Walking in the boot is liberating, but still kind of uncomfortable.

To be honest, I've been a complete slug. No exercise whatsoever! Hopefully I'll be getting some in soon!

Hope you continue improving rapidly!

Old 01-19-18, 01:59 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had a modified bunionectomy? My doctor and I decided to add that on to my surgery next week. He said no screws or fusions will be required.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote