hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Mum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post
I noticed that, too.

Maybe they watched a lot of British tv shows or cinema? All it took was a year of watching British shows for "bloody hell" to become a permanent part of my vocabulary (among others). I say it no less than 10 times a day.

Maybe they have/had British relatives/heritage? Some families just have their own particular lexicon.
Another possibility that came to my mind is that the IAAF has always been based in Europe, and the IAAF site uses "British" spellings elsewhere ("honours," "programmes"). "Mum" may be another example. I wouldn't know right now, though, why "mum" appears on that page.

(I did quickly visit Kate Grace's Facebook and Twitter pages just to see if she'd mentioned her "mom" or "mum" recently. I didn't find any obvious very recent examples.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 07:47 AM  
Rhonda

I seen the race on TV but never knew it was her daughter. How cool for Kathy and Kate. I don't see any resemblance but I am sure there is something there.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 07:57 AM  
muggle

All it took was a year of watching British shows for "bloody hell" to become a permanent part of my vocabulary (among others). I say it no less than 10 times a day.

That's friggin hilarious! I love it!!!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 10:45 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I found her at instagram talking about Mom and Mamma. Maybe she just likes to rotate.

There's also a picture of her with her dad.

https://www.instagram.com/fastkate/?hl=en
Old 07-07-16, 10:59 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I saw the article about Kate Grace winning the qualifying race, but I didn't realize it was Kathy Smith's daughter (the article talked about the "wreck".) This is awesome...thanks for posting.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 01:49 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

This is great!! Congrats to Kathy and Kate!!
Old 07-07-16, 02:03 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
That is so cool. I just posted a couple of days on another thread that I often wonder about what happened to the kids born to pregnant women in workout videos and if they picked about the exercise habit. Now I know! Her mom must be so proud.
I thought of your Sharon Twombly thread when i read that Kathy was pregnant with Kate in her Pregnancy workout.
Old 07-08-16, 06:47 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Another possibility that came to my mind is that the IAAF has always been based in Europe, and the IAAF site uses "British" spellings elsewhere ("honours," "programmes"). "Mum" may be another example.
^^This.

Also, from my own experience being interviewed, unless it's a print interview or they're transcribing a recording, journalists often paraphrase those quotes. I've often been quoted saying things where the essence of what I said was there, but using words and phrasing that weren't like me at all! LOL
Old 07-08-16, 01:25 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
^^This.

Also, from my own experience being interviewed, unless it's a print interview or they're transcribing a recording, journalists often paraphrase those quotes. I've often been quoted saying things where the essence of what I said was there, but using words and phrasing that weren't like me at all! LOL
It's also possible that she said mom but it sounded like mum to them. I'm from the south so no one could mistake my saying mom (mostly because our words are more drawn out; we can make one-syllable words sound like two-syllable words) but for others it might actually sound like mum, especially if that's what you are used to hearing.
Old 08-16-16, 08:45 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Kathy Smith's daughter, Kate Grace, wil be running tomorrow morning in Heat 5, lane 7 of the 800m. This is one time I'll be rooting for an American to do well!

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kate grace, kathy smith, olympic, olympics