Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-16, 04:56 PM  
IceQueen07

Looking for Opinions and Feedback

Looking for opinions and feedback and I find this is THE BEST place to get it.

Today started week three of X-train (shorter timesaver 30ish min workouts). I am getting a little frustrated at this point. I have done a 4 week rotation of ICE, a 4 week rotation of RWH and now I am on the 3rd week of X-Train (won't even mention the 2 1/2 months of STS) and nothing. No losses, nothing, not even an inch. I like Cathe's workouts, but maybe they aren't for me or my body. I have never done rotations where I didn't get some changes. My diet has been very clean this whole time, with the exception of the my one week on vacation. I just don't know what I should do at this point. Keep going or give up - decide that maybe Cathe style is not a good fit for me and move on?

Anyone else have this happen with an instructor and/or workout?

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 05:03 PM  
primrosecat

How much cardio are you doing? Are you getting enough rest? Did something else work better for you before?
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 05:44 PM  
bubbles76

What results are you looking for? Maybe you're eating clean, but eating too much? Not enough? Maybe the mix of what you're eating is off? I know I may be veering too much into diet territory, but it's something to think about. I always get SOME kind of results, even if I'm just maintaining.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 04:27 AM  
IceQueen07

I don't feel that I am doing too much cardio. Normally in these rotations 2 to 3 days are weights and the cardio is either Hiit or shortened, I don't like long cardio workouts anymore.

I am looking to lean out, get rid of the jiggles and lose some inches overall. I haven't gained any weight so I guess I am maintaining, but I am not losing, either weight or inches. I have been very mindful of my food intake to make sure that even though healthy, not too much.

I just didn't know if others just have some types of workouts or instructors that no matter which workout they do don't receive any benefits.

**Candice**
Old 06-29-16, 06:36 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
I just didn't know if others just have some types of workouts or instructors that no matter which workout they do don't receive any benefits.
Yup! All of them!! I gain strength/endurance/cardio capacity, and my muscles feel firmer, but I had to give up on exercise-for-weight-loss-or-visible-results *years* ago! And even when I've been very lean (around a size 6 and 17% bodyfat), I still look soft and curvy.

Instead, I've had to learn to love exercise for other reasons--how it makes me feel, physically and emotionally; the sense of accomplishment; the "me" time; having a hobby that's nothing but good for me; etc.

It took a long time, and finding VF was the last piece of the puzzle for me--discovering how many other women had the same experiences.

Good luck! I hope you do find something that "works" for you, whatever that means to you; but please don't discount all the UNSEEN benefits of working out. If you're enjoying the rotation, why not stick it out?
Old 06-29-16, 07:31 AM  
IceQueen07

Thanks Gem - I do enjoy exercising which is weird to some people, especially my husband, he doesn't get it, but I know people here do. I guess as I get older I still want the results and I am not getting them. Hitting 50 and menopause this past year has really just thrown me for a loop, things are changing (weight and looks). Maybe I just expect too much. For so many years, exercise was how I controlled the weight. Maybe I need to look at things differently at this point, but it is hard to change the way the mind works.

**Candice**
Old 06-29-16, 07:45 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Sounds like Cathe's workouts aren't what you need now.

Lots of people here have reported that they were doing tough, intense workouts and didn't get the results they wanted and/or were fatigued all the time and feeling blah. So they scaled back the intensity, doing workouts like barre, or Classical Stretch, or yoga, mixed with walking, and started seeing the results they were looking for.

Think about doing a rotation like that for a few weeks and see how it goes.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 09:16 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Thanks Gem - I do enjoy exercising which is weird to some people, especially my husband, he doesn't get it, but I know people here do. I guess as I get older I still want the results and I am not getting them. Hitting 50 and menopause this past year has really just thrown me for a loop, things are changing (weight and looks). Maybe I just expect too much. For so many years, exercise was how I controlled the weight. Maybe I need to look at things differently at this point, but it is hard to change the way the mind works.
I think it gets more challenging as we approach 50 and beyond. You could also think about a short kettlebell rotation, if you have bells. I'm currently rotating through Joyce Vedral right now but plan to switch out to barre and kettlebells in a few weeks. My arms have started leaning out from the Joyce workouts.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 12:58 PM  
SueT

Hi, Candice. I wanted to let you know that I've been going through the exact same thing you are. I was so happy to be able to do a Cathe ICE rotation, since I felt like I was getting back into my regular kinds of workouts since having knee surgery in July 2014. I did a one-month rotation, and I felt great. The only problem was that I had no changes at all in my body. So I started a Cathe ICE/RWH rotation, but I kind of got bummed by having to modify so much of the high impact in the RWH workouts.

I then switched to a Firm rotation, which I loved but for some reason my knees didn't. I think my mistake was too many Firm workouts back-to-back, even though I tried to use their cardio workouts in between the sculpting workouts.

My son is 31, and he's been weight training since he's been about 18. About a year ago he switched to total-body weight workouts 3 times a week, and he's getting excellent results. He was doing upper and lower body splits previously, with HiiT workouts in between. He's still been doing HiiT, but he's throwing in more steady-state cardio in the form of running now that the weather is warm.

I'm 54 years old, and I still get my period every month (lucky me!), but I know I'm in peri-menopause. I did many lower-intensity workouts when my knee was healing, like Classical Stretch, but I got no fat reduction from them at all, even though they made my body feel good.

What I've been doing for the last two weeks seems to be finally making a difference in how I look and feel. I've been doing a Jari Love workout 3 times a week, with Tae Bo or Leslie in between. I started with Jari's original Get Ripped workout, did that 3 times, and then switched to Jari's Slim and Lean. Today I'm thinking of doing Ripped and Chiseled. Her first workouts are straight weight work, without any cardio at all.

I think really separating my cardio and weights is giving my body some time to rest and repair from the weights, rather than using weights during the cardio to up the intensity, like the Firm and Cathe do for some of their workouts. My knees also are much happier, as well!

I love circuit workouts, but the stubborn fat on my body probably needs steady state cardio to burn the fat. Maybe at our age stressing our bodies too much just puts them into fat-storing mode instead of fat-burning mode. I'm hoping I can stick to this rotation, because I'm really enjoying it. I'm thinking when I get tired of Jari I can add in some of Cathe's total-body weight workouts, too.

I just thought I'd throw this out there because we're close to the same age and have tried the same workouts.

Hope this helps.

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 03:49 PM  
IceQueen07

Thanks Sue - seems like we are in the same spot and have been doing the same workouts. I did Jari a long time ago, but may have to think about revisiting her. You may be on to something with the whole keeping the weights separate, maybe that will work for me also. I am willing to try different things because I like working out. That is how I ended up going to Cathe, because I really had avoided her workouts for years and wanted to see how I would do.

**Candice**