Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-12, 12:47 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmouth View Post
Basically, it stated that Hiit 3 mins (1min per day:3x's per week of 20 sec duration) was shown to produce reduced insulin levals within the body. Also the genectic test they had refined could oredict if a person would respond to training like an olymplic athlete (massive aerobic threshold). The test subject did have a family history of type 2 diabetes and reduced his insulin levals as a result of the Hiit. The genectic test predicted he would not increase his VO2 max and the final result when retested showed no incease in the VO2 uptake.
And from THAT, they came up with a headline that implied, 3 minutes of HiiT a week is "enough?" Never mind the "enough for what, exactly?" question.

Clear illustration of why there's so much confusion about exercise among folks who don't have the time/inclination to do their own research.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 12:54 PM  
Keepfitgirl

I don't think it was particularly confusing. They were saying that you can maintain the same aerobic fitness using this system, and in some cases improve it. As someone has already posted, the presenter did this for a month and reduced his insulin levels, which was a problem for him, so it obviously had a benefit.

They did also advocate that our non-exercise activities are important for burning calories and that by moving, rather than sitting for an average 12 hours a day, you can burn 500 extra calories a day.

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 05:38 PM  
woodmouth

Delivery of the programme was clear and direct. Horizon is viewed as a social education programme. The message was to educate the general public. The results were backed up by the research they had carried out. BBC have to work within guidelines. It was educational. I did not learn anything new but I enjoyed the programme as it was informative. They ran the tests, backed it up with the scientific evidence. Having an active job (waitress) had actually more health gains and calorie burn than a desk job, going to the gym for an hour 3/4 x's a week. That was where they had to produce the evidence. Conclusion maybe we do not require as much Hiit to see health gains as is preceived. I am still going to exercise, mix it up and get Hiit once a week but maybe play around with it and see how it goes.
woodmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 01:11 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepfitgirl View Post
I don't think it was particularly confusing. They were saying that you can maintain the same aerobic fitness using this system, and in some cases improve it. As someone has already posted, the presenter did this for a month and reduced his insulin levels, which was a problem for him, so it obviously had a benefit.

They did also advocate that our non-exercise activities are important for burning calories and that by moving, rather than sitting for an average 12 hours a day, you can burn 500 extra calories a day.

Emma
My point was the HEADLINE was confusing because it grossly overgeneralized the study. People grab snippets like headlines and run with them as exercise fact, rather than read the article and see for themselves what the study was about and evaluate the information for themselves. It would not surprise me at all if a thread popped up somewhere on the interwebs asking, Is 3 minutes of HiiT really enough?

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiit, michael mosley, pbs, the truth about exercise