Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-16, 01:45 AM  
SeekingWorkouts

Barre: More like exercise or practicing ballet moves?

I've had little exposure to barre workouts, but I know they include one or more of the following along with some ballet: yoga, Pilates, light weights. I also know that barre is quite different from many other types of dance-based workouts or dance instruction. Beyond that, my knowledge is limited.

I'm interested in knowing how those of you who do barre feel about it. Does it feel more like a traditional workout to you, or do you feel like you're practicing dance moves most of the time and mixing in some stretching, too (and maybe a little weightlifting)? Does the amount of extra strength and flexibility training vary a lot depending on the video or instructor?

I need to add more non-cardio exercise to my rotation and am drawn to the dance aspect of barre, but I also know that--with a few exceptions--I prefer workouts with a fun factor...Should I check out something more ballet-based instead? Any recommendations?
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 10:32 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi SeekingWorkouts! Well there are ballet workouts, that are more dancey and practicing dance moves like in ballet, and there are barre workouts, which are toning workouts done with little or no weight standing at the barre. I have tried both and strongly prefer barre, for the toning aspects. It seems like more traditional workout to me - at least compared to ballet workouts. It is toning and engaging your muscles with tiny pulses, or with some instructors, larger range of motion exercises.

For ballet workouts, the only one I like (keeping in mind I don't like dancey workouts) is the Sleek Technique DVD set. They are dancey and fun and have nice music, and I use them on travel because they are low intensity and shorter and easy to do in a hotel room. They also have a couple of freebies on youtube - in fact there's tons of ballet style workouts on youtube that you can try out. I think Jessica Smith might also have some ballet inspired light cardio/toning workouts.

As for barre, the amount of stretching does depend on the instructor. The stretching between sets is really supposed to help elongate your muscles, and I do really enjoy it.

For barre with a fun factor I would say try out Physique 57 (P57) as the music is fun and it is fast moving. I love barre but wouldn't say as a genre it has a huge fun factor. It is more quiet and relaxing. I'm interested to see what other people think!

For non-cardio exercise, do you mean you want more toning? For that I would check out barre. If you're looking for something more dancey with a lower intensity cardio aspect, definitely try out ballet.

HTH!
Old 02-26-16, 10:58 AM  
sbh

If you want to do actual ballet, you can check out Kathryn Morgan's beginner ballet classes on Powhow. I've been taking her classes for a year now and I just love them.

http://www.powhow.com/classes/kathryn-morgans-studio

I also sometimes do a Ballet Beautiful workout, or Sleek Technique, or a Barre3. These are ballet inspired workouts. But I found that doing actual ballet has given me more strength and definition.

Kathryn Morgan also has a youtube channel with free ballet classes to try.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ7...aVoaPak9_SwR5A
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 01:02 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Seekingworkouts, based on your post, I'd second ebianco's suggestion to try Physique 57. It is, in my opinion, the most fun barre brand out there. Most barre workouts use very small movements. I found them really boring when I first tried them, but Physique 57 is fast paced and incorporates large and small range of motion exercises. I now love and appreciate the other barre types, but P57 was what I needed when I started out. Their streaming is outrageous, but I think they're still offering a one-week free trial. You could try out the DVDs, which are available to stream from the on-demand service.

If you like it, I'd suggest taking a few live classes with good instructors. The Bar Method is the best for that. Even if you don't go regularly, just a few classes can really help with form and help you get the most out of your home workouts.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 01:08 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
... Kathryn Morgan also has a youtube channel with free ballet classes to try.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ7...aVoaPak9_SwR5A
Thank you!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 01:36 AM  
SeekingWorkouts

Thank you, ebianco, sbh, and Nuggie's Auntie for taking the time to respond!

What I'm looking for are strength and flexibility/stretching workouts that reduce--maybe even eliminate--the dread factor. Swimming, dancing, martial arts, and walking don't feel like exercise to me, so I'm more motivated to stick with those activities. For that reason, I was hoping to find a similar kind of playful vibe in the non-cardio fitness areas. That's why I was curious about barre and ballet-inspired workouts.

I plan to add aqua workouts (with resistance equipment and weights) and circus arts to my future rotation, but those require either hot weather or taking classes. I need something I can do at home until then. I know that some of the things I already do help improve strength and flexibility (belly and hula dancing, Stephanie McMahon's "Fit Series" DVD), but I'd like to add to my DVD collection so I don't get bored or stop seeing results from not changing things up.

I'm going to watch clips of everything recommended, both ballet and barre, and see what clicks with me. Also, I want to know if anyone has done Nicky McGinty's "Ballet Fitness" or Jennifer Gelardi's "Ballet Body"...I thought those two sounded interesting.
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 02:29 AM  
Lorelai

Jennifer Galardi is a really good instructor. I like Ballet Body a lot, it's challenging but the modifier actually shows doable modifications. If you're looking for fun, you might also like Sweating Sexy... I haven't done it, but it's on my wish list! I may or may not be coordinated enough for it.

If you like the dancey fusion ballet type, you might like Tracey Mallet's work. Her Fuse Dance Cardio Lean comes to mind. Tracey incorporates a little bit of jazz into that one, plus Pilates and yoga. ETA: Booty Barre Beginners might be a good one to try too.

Also might be worth considering Ellen Barrett. She's more rooted in Pilates, and her workouts incorporate those principles while standing. She's also inspired by yoga and ballet. I really enjoy her workouts and have been doing them almost exclusively since I restarted 8 weeks ago. My faves are Fat Burning Fusion, Slim/Skinny Sculpt, Fusion Flow, Grace and Gusto, Power Fusion.

If Ellen appeals, then you might also look at Natalie Spadaccino's Joyful Movement Cardio & Joyful Movement Sculpt. I haven't tried them yet, but they are also on my list and my library just bought them! Might be awhile before I can try them, but I'm excited!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 02:52 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
I have tried both and strongly prefer barre, for the toning aspects.
Ebianco, how curious I prefer Ballet for the same reason! // PS. I love your avatar and my 3yo DD too! When she sees it she says... my little pony!!

I like barre and have fun with it. But, I love Ballet and the results they provide (at least for me)! Last year I was doing Element Ballet Conditioning quite often, and my legs looked toned, and my abs was flattening, I was slimming down all over, even my arms looked awesome, and that workout is mostly LB and core. I then started to add barre for variety and fun (some weeks later), and stopped Ballet conditioning, my legs started to look mushy and soft, not happy about that I panicked and went back to traditional weight training.

I do agree that P57 is lot of fun and I like that it uses heavier weights than other barre workouts. Now, for ballet workouts, I def. recommend Element Ballet Conditioning, I love everything about it the music, the workout, the instructor, the setting... I also, love Xtend Barre Lean & Chiseled, and recently tried Ballet Body (Jennifer Galardi), I liked it a lot, but the upper body section wasn't long enough so I'll have to go heavier next time, but it was a nice workout not too hard, but not easy breezy either, and it was fun. I also love Joey Bull's Ballet Workout Total Body Toning and Ballet Workout for Legs, Bums and Tums, she also has a Ballet Pilates and Ballet Steps workouts than I'm dying to try! Also, there is a "Sweaty Betty Ballet Bootcamp" on youtube from the ladies of Sleek Technique which is awesome too.

ETA: How come I forgot to mention Ballet Blast by Jenneé?! That one is great as well, the workout is choreographed to the music, even the stretch! It is challenging, but it is fun, and I love the music!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 03:04 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWorkouts View Post
I'm interested in knowing how those of you who do barre feel about it. Does it feel more like a traditional workout to you, or do you feel like you're practicing dance moves most of the time and mixing in some stretching, too (and maybe a little weightlifting)? Does the amount of extra strength and flexibility training vary a lot depending on the video or instructor?
When I do Ballet workouts, it doesn't feel like traditional workout to me, not like I'm not working hard, because it is definitely more challenging than it looks, but it does make me feel like a ballerina although I'm probably not as graceful, but it does feel great to pretend! And I've fun with it, it is challenging but relaxing at the same time. When I do barre, I do have fun too, but not because I feel graceful or like a ballerina, but mostly because the workout is upbeat and enjoyable, not sure if I'm making sense.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 08:21 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Lots of great recommendations! I also like Tracey Mallett, Ellen Barrett, Natalie Spadaccino, & Barre3. Some other favorites of mine that haven't been mentioned are Balletone and Yoga Booty Ballet. You might check out YouTube as Ellen Barrett, Tracey Mallet, & Barre3 all have freebies. Jessica Smith also has some nice cardio ballet & barre workouts on YT.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet inspired, ballet workouts, natalie spadaccino, stephanie mcmahon workout