Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-14, 01:13 PM  
Lorelai

Modifying Workouts for Pregnancy (Ellen B, Jessica S, etc)

Hi everyone! I don't post all that much, but I do still pop in from time to time and glance through threads. Also, when I have this kind of question, I feel quite certain that this is the best group of people to ask!

So I am currently 18 1/2 weeks pregnant, and I've been feeling much less nauseous overall for a couple of weeks now. However, I've still been combating the low energy and tiredness. My blood pressure is on the low side, and I fight symptoms from that too - I get lightheaded and have to sit or lie down before I faint, that kind of thing. I do have clearance from my midwife to exercise, and I know I need to get going again. Moderate exercise might help my blood flow issues which might in turn help my blood pressure, plus, I'm planning a natural home birth and will need muscles and stamina for that!

I have some prenatal workouts from the library - a couple of Suzanne Bowen's and one of Tracey Mallet's, both instructors I like. However, when I think about exercising, I want to reach for old loves like Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith. I know Jessica has done some prenatal workouts for YouTube but I currently have no way to get them on dvd - sad.

Anyway, who has done Ellen's workouts (like FBF, SlimS, G&G, etc) while pregnant? If you modified, how did you modify? I love Jessica's walking workouts but she does tend to twist a lot (standing ab work), the twists are pretty quick, and I'm not sure how much of that I should do or not do. Same with ab work. There is a lot of controversy over direct ab work and pregnancy and I think I need some anecdotal evidence from experienced exercisers and experienced mamas, since this is my first pregnancy and it's all new to me.

Any insight would be appreciated!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote