Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-14, 01:50 PM  
kenda

Hurt my elbow from weights?

I'm hoping someone can tell me what kind of injury I have. Two Sundays ago I was doing Burn Sets bis & tris. I haven't been lifting that heavy lately, but everything seemed fine. The next day my elbow felt sore to the touch and hurt to straighten it, but bending it was fine. It was sore all week, but seemed to get better as the week progressed. Stupidly, I did Burn Sets again this past Sunday, and that seems to have really aggravated it. There is a specific spot on my elbow that hurts to touch and the whole thing just feels really stiff. I can bend it, but straightening hurts and using my hand for pressure-related things (like using a stapler) hurts. Obviously I'm not picking up any weights until it goes away, but does anyone have any idea what I may have done?
kenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 02:05 PM  
ponytail

Sounds like it could be tennis elbow.

Tread lightly. I had it, kept on lifting, and now it seems as though it is permanently damaged. Haven't been able to lift weights in over two years. It hurts all the time.

Be careful!!

Lay of the weights and if it doesn't get better, see a doctor right away. Take care.
ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 02:12 PM  
horsemom2

Outside elbow is tennis elbow
Inside elbow is golf elbow.

I got golf elbow from weights and still have to be careful several years later.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 03:23 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
Outside elbow is tennis elbow
Inside elbow is golf elbow.

I got golf elbow from weights and still have to be careful several years later.

Barb S
This. I got tennis elbow from something unrelated to working out. Took a year to heal. I re-injured it last fall doing a lot of power yoga and Tone it Up stuff. It's still off. Since I had the problem, I can't lift much over 2 10 pound weights (and nothing near that now) without re-flares. So definitely be careful with it. (((HUGS))) It can be really painful.
Old 01-23-14, 04:10 PM  
kenda

Hmmm... not really what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the answers though, I will take it easy and hope it goes away.
kenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 04:15 PM  
ponytail

Yes, it could be golfers elbow too. Sorry; wasn't sure of the area of your elbow that's sore.

My friend has bad tennis elbow and has never picked up a dumbbell in her life. I got mine from doing boxing, dumbbells only (too much gripping), and pull ups. Dang it, I soooooo wish I would have taken more rest days back then!!!! Now all I do is take rest days.
ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 07:36 PM  
bee1forfitness

But what causes it anybody know???
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 07:45 PM  
videofit

Tennis elbow tendonitis -- wear an elbow strap when you work out and use a blue ice pack for about ten minutes afterward. You could switch to lower weights. Listen to your body. I had this and fixed it this way on the advice of a personal trainer who said you want blood flowing to the area to heal it.
Old 01-23-14, 10:38 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I got a case of elbow tendonitis (golfers elbow in my case) after attempting chin ups two days in a row. This was right after Christmas and I haven't lifted since. It is on my dominant side so even though I am trying to use my other arm as much as possible it is taking a long time to heal due to the activities of daily living.

A few weeks ago I went to Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health for a yoga workshop and doing down dogs and chutterunga's were problematic. While there I got Positional Therapy on my elbow and shoulder and purchased a book called "Live Pain Free without Drugs or Surgery" by Lee Alpert who teaches Positional Therapy at Kripalu:
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Pain-With.../dp/0983138311

I used the techniques last weekend and had absolutely no pain on Monday. However yesterday I shoveled snow and now the pain is back.
I have been walking and doing yoga but I really want to get back to lifting asap. I won't lift until I am pain free for at least one week.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 10:39 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1forfitness View Post
But what causes it anybody know???
Muscle imbalances and overuse.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote