Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-11, 10:47 AM  
cowfishpro

Need advice for adding muscle/leaning out. Long.

Hello all,

I'm a huge Kelly fan and go through cycles where I focus on her workouts. I usually do a lot of ballet barre conditioning workouts, but lately, I'm not seeing the same benefits aswhen I was younger.

I'm 46, and my wieght is up about 5 lbs higher than is comfortable for fitting into my clothes well. Having just purchased Kelly's latest workouts, I now I have all of her 30 minute workouts, NYC, The Shape of Things to Come, and Total Cardio Kick Step-Boxing.

I really think I need to focus on adding muscle to my body and leaning out. I am confident that focsing on KCM workouts will help with that process.

I'm really interested in any thoughts that any of you may have to share.

Just a few new notes:
1) I am not interested in "dieting" I do not eat sweets, I do not drink soda-ever, I don't eat a lot of junk food, and I don't eat fast food regularly. In addition, I have food allergies that already restrict some of my eating choices, so I'm not interested in adding further restrictions on my eating. However, I do plan to try to add more protein, as I'm sure I don't get enough in my current eating.

2) I'm not so set on losing weight as much as slimming down and fitting into my clothes better.

3) From experience, I know that my body does not handle KCM workouts more than 3 or 4 times per week. So I already know that I will have to alternate KCM workouts with yoga, pilates, and barre workouts.

4) Finally, I know that I should lift as heavy as I can for weight workouts, but I'm having trouble finding a weight that allows me to go heavy enough to feel the muscle burn without either loosing form or putting a lot of stress on my joints.

Well, I've rambled on long enough. I appreciate any feed back to get me on track for my goal. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-08-11, 12:05 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro View Post
Finally, I know that I should lift as heavy as I can for weight workouts, but I'm having trouble finding a weight that allows me to go heavy enough to feel the muscle burn without either loosing form or putting a lot of stress on my joints.
I'll stick my neck out here and say that this last statement presumes that ther'se only one viewpoint about weight training methods or rather that you only accept that one. Of course, that's what fits with KCM's workouts. It may be that your joints are telling you that it's time to reconsider that method. If you were to reduce your poundage you will still feel the burn but only with more reps, but then you wouldn't be in sync with Kelly's workous.

As regards slimming down, I'm thinking that maybe some slow steady-state cardio added to your program might be what's needed -- it's helped so many other people here and seems to be the one thing missing from what you're doing now.

BTW, I learned the hard way to change my style of resistance training and to go to low weights, high reps because of RC damage.
Old 05-08-11, 12:12 PM  
neatski

You mentioned that you go through Kelly "cycles"- have you been doing her workouts a lot? If not, and you have been focusing on ballet barre conditioning, I think you're making a very good decision to start doing her workouts again. As my sig line suggests, I'm a big believer in changing up your workouts as much as possible to avoid plateaus.

Now, if you're finding that you can't really up the weights high enough to make them challenging without hurting your joints, you might want to find other ways to make your workouts more challenging, or explore other workouts. In Paul Katami's Bootcamp 4x4, for example, the cardio effect is so intense that I can't really go any heavier than 8 lb dumbbells. One way to make your strength workouts more intense is to add cardio intervals in between weight sets. I've found circuit/interval workouts like that to be very effective. I know at least one person on here is going to suggest kettlebell swings , but plyometric drills, pushups or even just simple cardio like jumping jacks could work. Kettlebell swings have the added advantage of working your whole body, though, which will make the strength part of your workout MUCH more intense.

ETA: Dissenting viewpoint on the cardio- I think that short, intense cardio is much more effective and efficient for fat loss than slow, steady cardio.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 12:15 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

Also what might help for weights is use tubing or bands. It allows the muscle to stay fully contracted thru the entire movement without added stress to the joints that heavier weights can cause. At least that is my experience.

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 12:53 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro View Post

4) Finally, I know that I should lift as heavy as I can for weight workouts, but I'm having trouble finding a weight that allows me to go heavy enough to feel the muscle burn without either loosing form or putting a lot of stress on my joints.
Not trying to sound snarky, but how do you know that that's the only or best way to get 'results' with weighted workouts? I think consistency is most important of all. If using, say, 12lbs would be too taxing on your joints but you can handle 8 or 10, do you think the lower poundage will seriously hinder you from getting benefits? In that circumstance I think it's certainly possible that using 8lbs consistently would allow you to strengthen your joints enough to increase the poundage slowly and safely, even if it's only to 10lbs. (I'm obviously just using numbers as an example here.)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 03:13 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I seldom feel a burn when I work out, but I do have muscle development so I don't think it's necessary. I think that some of Kelly's moves are hard on the joints. I got injured doing her workouts and I wasn't matching her in my weight selection.
Old 05-08-11, 03:14 PM  
akaAnnie

Have you considered kettlebells? I've been doing Skogg and it's done what no other set/dvd ever did for me. I've pulled in, gotten way stronger(started out pressing my 13 lb. and now do a few with a 22 lb)and my endurance has increased tremendously.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 03:15 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
Have you considered kettlebells? I've been doing Skogg and it's done what no other set/dvd ever did for me. I've pulled in, gotten way stronger(started out pressing my 13 lb. and now do a few with a 22 lb)and my endurance has increased tremendously.
TOLD you someone would bring up kettlebells!

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 03:48 PM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
TOLD you someone would bring up kettlebells!
I was thinking the same thing!

I also agree with Jane P. about some of her moves with heavier weights can be problematic, and usually that is how I like to lift, on the heavy side. I had a lot of KCM at one point and was really surprised over a shoulder injury doing one of the *cute* moves with my usual weight load. That really surprised me since it was the first time that ever happened. So I unloaded them and stick to traditional moves with heavier weights and no problem. That and kettlebells.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 04:02 PM  
videofit

If you want muscle definition without straining your joints, try Margaret Richard's workouts. Or any endurance workout for that matter. Lighter weights and more reps. Works for me!

Of course, diet is key. I'm in the same boat as you in that I am five pounds heavier than I want to be and my clothes are uncomfortable. Do you know how many calories you are eating and what percentage is fat/protein/carbs? You might want to get a software program like Fitday or similar so you wouldn't just be guessing. You can still get fat without eating junk food or sweets.

I think any kind of cardio would be good just because it burns more calories. Part of my problem is I've been doing far less cardio than I used to out of sheer laziness. I used to walk quickly outside for half an hour but only manage to do that twice a week now and just that little bit makes a difference.

Tags
building muscle, losing inches