Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-11, 07:34 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

Blissology - Questions

I've read through all the raves for Blissology, but I'm still not sure if I want to take the plunge and buy it. Hopefully you all can help me decide! Here's the deal:

I am seriously stressed out, to the point that it might be causing me physical symptoms. (It's kind of a TMI thing, and I'm not 100% sure this is the cause, but it seems likely.) I think that doing yoga daily would be really helpful.

I Eoin's Pure & Simple Yoga, especially the Zen track. He says just enough to get you into the appropriate pose, with little or no extraneous talking. I also like Power Yoga for Happiness 1, although not nearly as much as P&SY. His silly metaphors about licking ice cream off your body don't really bother me in this one, although I could do without them.

However, I had his original Power Yoga video for a while (the one that looked like it was filmed on a beach in British Columbia). I couldn't stand it because he seemed kind of nervous and wouldn't shut up. I got rid of it.

I currently also own Power Yoga for Happiness 2 (Surf Edition). I want to like it, but I don't. During tabletop pose, he says something about a "rude boy thrust" motion and I just want to scream at him to shut the %^@* up. I'm not a prude by any means (I have a severe case of potty-mouth ), but that is NOT what I want to be visualizing while I'm trying to chill out. Also, I think he does way too much forward bending and not nearly enough back bending in this one. I guess that would be appropriate if I were a surfer, but I'm not. I spend most of my day bending forward; I need more back bending to counteract that.

And one other complaint I have in general is that sometime's Eoin's comments about the advanced version of a pose being "highly overrated" (and other similar comments) just irritate me instead of making me feel OK about whichever version I'm doing. It feels like he's passing judgment on me for being able to do more than the basic pose or for even aspiring to it. I realize I could afford to tone down my type AAAA personality, but I think a life without goals would not work for me at all.

OK, so there's my critique of Eoin's DVDs. Here are my questions:

(1) Where on the continuum of P&SY Zen track to PY4H2 rude-boy comments is the Blissology instruction?

(2) What is the level of intensity? I intend to keep doing my regular weights and cardio workouts, so this would be something extra I'd be doing each day. I don't want to go crazy with the intensity to avoid the dread factor and overtraining...but it doesn't have be super-easy, either. Basically, if I'm going to need a shower when I'm done, it's too intense! Some mild warmth in my muscles is fine.

(3) Is the forward/backward bending fairly balanced over the course of the week? This isn't a deal-breaker, but it would be nice.

(4) Is there any way to see/hear an actual clip of any of the workouts? I saw the trailers on Eoin's site, but that doesn't give me an idea of whether he's going to drive me nuts or help me chill out. I'd really love to hear a bit of the actual instruction.

Thanks!!
Tonya
TonyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 07:54 PM  
Orlita

Hi Tonya,

I can't answer all your questions, because I have been on a Pure Barre kick lately & haven't done Blissology in a bit. However, I am also a big fan of Pure & Simple Yoga (esp. the zen track), didn't care much for the first DVD (I don't hate it but he sounds like a Valley Boy on it; his delivery has much improved over the years), I don't do the PY4H or Surf editions hardly at all (not because I disliked them but because I just didn't do them enough to form an opinion -- the ones I did do were I guess too demanding for me to return at that period in my working out).

I love the new Blissology set. The practices were just challenging enough for me, which is probably what you're describing -- a bit of a sweat but not grueling & the weekend practice is very zen. The delivery is very nice -- not a lot of filler talk, imo. The music is great. I love the format of it all. The PY4H sets had a lot of really long practices, it seemed to me; Blissology has one long & one (abbreviated) shorter for each of 6 days, plus meditation.

Really, it's a lovely set. I took to it immediately.

Let us know what you think if/when you order!
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 08:11 PM  
buffmama

Here's what I can answer: The level of intensity is probably good - no shower needed. You'll feel stretched out, relaxed, and worked out without a sweat. They seem to work well for evening or morning practice which is nice. I don't notice an excessive amount of forward bending in the earlier part of the week (I only did up to Thurs so far). Tues is front openers, so backbends. You do get a great hip stretch everyday (again, at least up to Thurs).
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 08:36 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

Thank you - sounds good so far! I'd still love to hear other opinions, but I feel myself caving in...
Old 04-05-11, 09:42 PM  
laurajhawk

I am thinking it would be good for you, Tonya. The only day that's likely to require a shower is Friday, especially since there's a quickie option for each day. I think the forward bend/backbend balance is pretty good. I find him much more relaxed in these than in PY4H 1&2 (I don't have P&SY). I don't recall any suggestive comments (I really don't like the rude-boy thrust comment either). ALSO, especially if you are not now practicing meditation, his daily 10-minute meditations are a nice starting place and might help you with the stress.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 10:19 PM  
momofcha

I have no basis for comparison on the videos you're mentioning. I was a non-yoga fan before this set and now I look forward to ending my day with it. It calms me and centers me in a way I desperately need. I mentioned in another thread the he--ish divorce I'm in trying to get child support and this actually relaxes me, and reminds me to live in the moment and helps me to appreciate all I have. And believe me, despite what I sometimes think - I have SOOO much to be grateful for and this definitely helps.

Friday is my favorite day, followed by Thursday. But I do enjoy them all.

hth

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 04:19 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Based on what you like & don't like about his other DVDs, I think you'll like this set.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 07:59 AM  
Denise

Hi Tonya, I just Love Blissology. I have PYFH and POHH also.

I love Eoins instruction on Blissology. He helps with alignment, encourages you to do what you can while giving good instruction on how to take a pose to the next level if you wish to. He makes me feel good about where I am on an giving day and helps me go further.

Monday is an All Around Yoga (27 or 45 mins) Works the whole body a good mix of standing and seated poses.
Tuesday is Front Body Stretches (34 or 55 mins.) Mostly standing poses
Wednesday is Side Body Stretches (26 or 45 mins.) good mix of standing and seated with a core section.
Thursday is Restorative (35 or 43 mins) Slow moving caravan is how Eoin like to put it. I find this the slowest and holds the pose alittle longer. I love Thursday!
Friday is Strenght and Stretch (33 or 45 mins) I find this the most athletic. (You might need a shower after this one)
Saturday is Metta Yoga (27 mins) A moving meditation which I find just perfect.

You can find the breakdown here:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ght=blissology

I think the forward/backward bending is balanced.

This set has helped my stress level like nothing else. It has lingering happy chill quality to it. Somedays are more intense than others but they all leave me feeling good, stretched, worked out,and loving life. The meditations are nice too. I highly recommend Blissology to help with stress.

Good luck in your decision making.
Denise
Old 04-06-11, 12:22 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

I just ordered it! I think I'm going to really like it. Thanks to everyone who gave their opinion!

Tags
blissology, blissology project, eoin finn, power yoga for happiness, pure and simple yoga, py4h 2, yoga