Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-11, 07:47 PM  
BurnRN

new Bar Methods

Got this email tonight:

SUPER SCULPTING DVDs
COMING SOON

Sign up now for our newsletter and receive an exclusive invitation to pre-order your copies of the Super Sculpting DVD series featuring
The Bar Method founder Burr Leonard.

BE AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED INTO OUR DVD GIVEAWAY.

YOU COULD WIN ALL FIVE OF OUR NEW DVD TITLES! Enter Now>>

http://blog.barmethod.com/Super-Sculpting
BurnRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 02:31 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

"five" !!??
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 03:19 AM  
Orlita

There's a new thread about this here. Very exciting!

The five refers to the last 3 that came out earlier this year (or late last year?).
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 06:40 AM  
FitForever

Really looking forward to these. I enjoy Burr's teaching. I'm always left calm, worked out & stretched after I'm finished. I guess it's safe to say I'll be getting them!
FitForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:52 AM  
JP44

I've bought 4 of the last 5 Bar Methods and sold all of them. (I didn't bother getting the Beginner one). I'll pass on these upcoming ones & save myself the trouble. IMO, she charges too much for what she delivers. The interminable set up time for FF, DS, CYB, AC--ugh. The repetitiousness & lack of variety on DB. Yawn.

There are too many better options out there. I find it hard to believe that this time, Burr will finally deliver what they teach in class & the dvds will match her blog descriptions.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 09:05 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post

There are too many better options out there. I find it hard to believe that this time, Burr will finally deliver what they teach in class & the dvds will match her blog descriptions.
I've taken classes at Bar Method Soho here in NYC several times and I think Dancer's Body is very similar to the live class experience, although the music is maybe less familiar on the DVD than in the live class. In fact, the structure and exercises of one of the classes I took was exactly identical to Dancer's Body. I know that wasn't Burr, but I'm hoping that Burr does do a better job of emulating the class experience. Dancer's Body definitely did.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 09:39 AM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
I've taken classes at Bar Method Soho here in NYC several times and I think Dancer's Body is very similar to the live class experience, although the music is maybe less familiar on the DVD than in the live class. In fact, the structure and exercises of one of the classes I took was exactly identical to Dancer's Body. I know that wasn't Burr, but I'm hoping that Burr does do a better job of emulating the class experience. Dancer's Body definitely did.

Dancers Body did not emulate the experience I had w/ Burr trained teachers at her CT studios. This was around 7 years ago though so maybe Burr's method has evolved in the meantime?? Yes, we did the "up an inch, down an inch", "hold in your tremble zone" but there was so much variety in the moves!

When I took classes, we used the balls in nearly every class and I took the intermediate ones! We always did 3-4 different types of thigh work (diamond, plies, parallel, thigh dancing, waterski, front leg raises, tip toes, low toes, flat feet) 3 different kinds of butt work (standing seat, standing pretzel, seated pretzel, rear leg lifts, back dancing), flat back abs, c curve abs. I'd be dying during the UB work from all the reps. My butt would be ON FIRE from the back dancing. (We often from used the ball during these--like Tracy E. does in Squeeze)

DB just went on forever w/o enough variety in moves. Just not for me at all.

Joan
Old 03-25-11, 11:32 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:

When I took classes, we used the balls in nearly every class and I took the intermediate ones! We always did 3-4 different types of thigh work (diamond, plies, parallel, thigh dancing, waterski, front leg raises, tip toes, low toes, flat feet) 3 different kinds of butt work (standing seat, standing pretzel, seated pretzel, rear leg lifts, back dancing), flat back abs, c curve abs. I'd be dying during the UB work from all the reps. My butt would be ON FIRE from the back dancing. (We often from used the ball during these--like Tracy E. does in Squeeze)
Yes, I do agree that live classes have more variety, in general. I think this is because you can fully utilize the wall-mounted barre so this opens the door to different positions that a chair wouldn't be able to accommodate. That said, though, Dancer's Body does work the thighs in wide plie, narrow diamond plie, parallel, and water ski. That's plenty enough for me. My thighs are burning by the end

Also, Burr mentioned on her blog that she uses a mini-ball throughout the workouts, so perhaps these DVDs just *might* appeal to you!

p.s. - The classes you took sound great. The ones I took definitely didn't have ALL of those moves bundled into one class! There wouldn't have been time!
Old 03-25-11, 12:56 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
Yes, I do agree that live classes have more variety, in general. I think this is because you can fully utilize the wall-mounted barre so this opens the door to different positions that a chair wouldn't be able to accommodate. That said, though, Dancer's Body does work the thighs in wide plie, narrow diamond plie, parallel, and water ski. That's plenty enough for me. My thighs are burning by the end

Also, Burr mentioned on her blog that she uses a mini-ball throughout the workouts, so perhaps these DVDs just *might* appeal to you!

p.s. - The classes you took sound great. The ones I took definitely didn't have ALL of those moves bundled into one class! There wouldn't have been time!

Trust me, my thighs were seriously burning (& shaking!) in DB!! It's definitely advanced!! The only LB part I thought was 'light' was the back dancing, but the rest of it was plenty hard. It just wasn't as much fun as the live classes I took or some other barre workouts that I find equally challenging. Does that make sense?

The instructors were awesome at the classes I took. I think they really tried to push everyone to their max, even the more advanced students. The set up time was just what you needed, then boom, go. Cueing re: form, continued through out the exercises. The instructors demo'd the moves, then would walk around the room correcting (or complimenting) on form. Demo the next variation or move, then boom, off you go. No wasted minutes. No water breaks. (You took one if you needed it, but they didn't stop class for any) 60 minutes, every single class. i guess that's why they got so much in.

Joan
Old 03-25-11, 01:04 PM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Trust me, my thighs were seriously burning (& shaking!) in DB!! It's definitely advanced!! The only LB part I thought was 'light' was the back dancing, but the rest of it was plenty hard. It just wasn't as much fun as the live classes I took or some other barre workouts that I find equally challenging. Does that make sense?

The instructors were awesome at the classes I took. I think they really tried to push everyone to their max, even the more advanced students. The set up time was just what you needed, then boom, go. Cueing re: form, continued through out the exercises. The instructors demo'd the moves, then would walk around the room correcting (or complimenting) on form. Demo the next variation or move, then boom, off you go. No wasted minutes. No water breaks. (You took one if you needed it, but they didn't stop class for any) 60 minutes, every single class. i guess that's why they got so much in.

Joan
I definitely understand what you mean. Live classes will always have a more fun feel and Dancer's Body doesn't really capture this aspect of the live class experience. P57 definitely manages to, though, so maybe TBM eventually will, too. Even if it doesn't, I still like the method enough to buy the DVDs and use them in my rotations. I'm just hoping that Burr doesn't waste a lot of time with set-up and explanations. That really bores me and gets in the way of a good workout, IMO.

Tags
bar method, bar method live classes, tbm, the bar method