Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-11, 10:57 AM  
Orlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw3 View Post
You start to see results pretty quickly. Within a few weeks. The best part is that you CONTINUE to see results. I have been at it for six months and the benefits keep showing up. I'm excited to see what the next six months bring!
I just started live Pure Barre classes ($100 unlimited 1-month intro special) & am eager to see what happens this month. I did 3 classes last week & may try to get 4 in this week. They are killer, but I still look forward to them. It's only been 1 week, so no visible results yet (I have maybe 10 lbs to lose but lots of tightening needed, esp. to my pancake butt & apple belly -- mmmm... apple pancakes!). But I am more flexible & my tolerance has been building a bit.

I'm also eating more & more raw, which I'm enjoying. But I was never into junk food anyway, so my diet hasn't changed a whole lot.

I'm inspired by all the great results VFers have had!

(I do have tons of barre DVDs , but I needed to shell out for live classes & have a set deadline -- use it or lose it -- to get my arse in gear).
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 11:16 AM  
kenda

Do you all have a barre bar, or do you just use a chair? Or something else? This thread has me excited to give barre a shot (I'm a little behind the times!)
kenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 11:17 AM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenda View Post
Do you all have a barre bar, or do you just use a chair? Or something else? This thread has me excited to give barre a shot (I'm a little behind the times!)
I actually use Cathe Friedrich's pullup bar. Works great. Sometimes I will use a chair. Either one works great for me.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 02:00 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenda View Post
I used a chair until a co-worker found a Fluidity barre for $10 at a used store. He bought it since he knew that I was looking for one. I should have paid him extra for it but I wasn't sure how much more to give.
Old 03-13-11, 03:06 PM  
Carb8985

I saw results from barre pretty quickly. I definitely noticed visible changes in my seat and thighs after a couple of weeks. After a longer period of time (maybe 3 months), I noticed changes in my abs. I think this was because it took me some time to really learn how to do c-curve abs and also how to engage my core throughout all of the other movements, especially seat work. As far as arm results, I'm just now noticing great definition since I've gotten really good at on-my-toes push-ups (a year since I started barre). For the record, I do not do any cardio, but do barre about 5-6x/week. Also, living in NYC, I walk around quite a bit and at a good clip, but I would never regard this as cardio.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 08:35 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
For the record, I do not do any cardio...
I'd be interested to know why not!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 09:58 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I'd be interested to know why not!
I really dislike doing cardio and find that as long as I'm including workouts like P57 and Booty Barre in my weekly rotation, then I'm getting enough for my needs right now. Since I live in NYC, I walk at least 1.5 miles per day to/from subway, work, grocery store. On the weekends, the mileage is much more. Plus, my workout time is limited (only an hour a day) and the thought of not being able to do barre during that time is just dreadful
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 10:03 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
I really dislike doing cardio and find that as long as I'm including workouts like P57 and Booty Barre in my weekly rotation, then I'm getting enough for my needs right now. Since I live in NYC, I walk at least 1.5 miles per day to/from subway, work, grocery store. On the weekends, the mileage is much more. Plus, my workout time is limited (only an hour a day) and the thought of not being able to do barre during that time is just dreadful
I had a feeling living in New York was a big factor...I'm sure you get plenty of cardio getting yourself around on your two feet!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 08:22 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
This is the exact reason why I LOVED NYC. I visited for my first time this past september. It was so awsome being able to walk everywhere. I need to do cardio to get my acitivity up a bit.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 01:20 AM  
ramonam

When I lived in NYC, I was in Sales and walked to all of my meetings. Our offices were by Grand Central and I came into/left from Penn Station and walked both to and from work -- if I was late, that sometimes included a jog, occasionally a run, a couple of times a full-on sprint.

I worked for a book printer and often had books in my bag, as well as a laptop, so it was like a weight vest.

I found I didn't need much additional cardio either. I don't miss the stress, but I miss the activity!
ramonam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre results