Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-14, 10:48 AM  
lorajc

Any Barre Results? Versus TA Results

I keep seeing all of these threads about Tracy Anderson results and I feel that barre workouts are just as effective.......at least they feel like it when I do them, as I've never done them long enough to warrant results. However, I'm so curious.....has anyone here ever seen an article like all the TA ones boasting about great results with barre? or have you had great results with barre?

I know my interest was piqued and I've wanted to start doing barre since I watched Fluidity on HSN last time it was on and I saw the before and afters and this is what made me start thinking......thus the reason of this thread.

Any responses would be appreciated. I've played around with barre, but never stuck with it long enough to warrant results, but lately that's all I want to do and I don't feel like lifting heavy and then I feel guilty as I feel like I NEED to lift heavy to keep the balance. So, if you've done barre for a while and taken a break from heavy lifting.....is that okay also?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 10:59 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I have had absolutely great results with barre. I can't tell you how much better I feel and easier I move since I've been on a steady diet of barre (18 mos. and counting--except for a 10 week hiatus doing Drop 2 Sizes, which I enjoyed but abandoned two week early b/c I missed the limber feeling I got from barre.)

My whole body feels strong and flexible, I feel pulled in all over. After a good barre workout, I feel like I am floating in the most lovely, blissful state... I call it the 'post-barre lalalas.'

I enjoyed the strength gains I got from D2S and after I returned to barre, I resolved to continue heavy lifting, but I really don't like it at all, so I'm back to strictly barre. I do P57 mostly, which involves heavier weights. Not super heavy, but I mostly use 10lbs. for my 'heavy' weights, and that plus the bodyweight exercises seems to be enough for me. I'm better at pushups and planks, so I don't feel that I've lost strength at all. You can read more about my love affair with barre on my blog, if you're interested.

I did TA for a while and got all kinds of aches and pains and plantar fasciitis from the dance cardio. I'm glad TA works well for many, but it definitely didn't work for me. I don't think there is any one perfect type of exercise for everyone, but barre (specifically Physique 57) is my workout holy grail! I also like live Pure Barre classes and the Ballet Physique DVDs.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 11:25 AM  
violingal3

Sounds like me! I like to dabble in TA and barre, but I have never just stuck it out with one method long term because I feel like I should lift weights etc...
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 11:55 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Sounds like me! I like to dabble in TA and barre, but I have never just stuck it out with one method long term because I feel like I should lift weights etc...
It wasn't until I really committed to barre that I saw great results. When I was only doing it twice a week or so, it didn't really do anything for me.

Then I did one of P57's monthly challenges, which is usually 30-90 min. a day, six days a week and after that, I was completely hooked. My PF and all my other aches and pains pretty much disappeared. I also lost pounds and inches, but I was most excited about being pain-free!

Now I do 30-60 min. a day, six days a week. Occasionally I'll do something else for a change, but nothing makes me feel as good as barre.
Old 01-23-14, 06:13 PM  
msladybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
It wasn't until I really committed to barre that I saw great results. When I was only doing it twice a week or so, it didn't really do anything for me.

Then I did one of P57's monthly challenges, which is usually 30-90 min. a day, six days a week and after that, I was completely hooked. My PF and all my other aches and pains pretty much disappeared. I also lost pounds and inches, but I was most excited about being pain-free!

Now I do 30-60 min. a day, six days a week. Occasionally I'll do something else for a change, but nothing makes me feel as good as barre.
Did you do Barre when you had the PF? Did you do it barefoot or with shoes, and if you wore shoes...what kind? Do you think the barre helped your feet....or was it that you did Barre instead of something else that brought or or aggravated the feet? Also curious about your footwear post PF in general.

I've been wearing stiff supportive shoes with orthotics, but I'm at the point where I want to see how my feet will do with a little time each day being closer to barefoot. To transition, yesterday I got a new pair of shoes with a neutral heal and more flexibility...however they can still accomodate my orthotic.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 06:46 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
Did you do Barre when you had the PF? Did you do it barefoot or with shoes, and if you wore shoes...what kind? Do you think the barre helped your feet....or was it that you did Barre instead of something else that brought or or aggravated the feet? Also curious about your footwear post PF in general.

I've been wearing stiff supportive shoes with orthotics, but I'm at the point where I want to see how my feet will do with a little time each day being closer to barefoot. To transition, yesterday I got a new pair of shoes with a neutral heal and more flexibility...however they can still accomodate my orthotic.
I waited until the initial flare up subsided (I taped my foot and wore a splint at night and that got me over the hump.) Then I started with barre. It was still a little dicey, so I started just with my bare feet flat, then worked up to high releve.

Within the first month of doing P57 steadily, my PF was completely gone! I definitely credit barre with curing me. I couldn't do it at first, though, when my foot was really bad. I think the barefoot barre work really helped strengthen my feet. I no longer have ANY pain at all. I can wear any kind of shoe now, though I generally tend to be very Sporty Spice and wear comfortable footwear.

I hope you get some relief from your PF. It's awful!!
Old 01-22-14, 12:05 PM  
Lulu Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I do P57 mostly, which involves heavier weights. Not super heavy, but I mostly use 10lbs. for my 'heavy' weights, and that plus the bodyweight exercises seems to be enough for me.
I didn't realize that P57 even used weights as high as 10s! Using heavier weights with barre seems exciting to me. I have been interested in trying P57 for a long time, but have always stopped from purchasing because I don't spend much on DVDs and they seemed expensive to me. I love hearing about how fun they seem. Maybe someday!
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 12:14 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu Belle View Post
I didn't realize that P57 even used weights as high as 10s! Using heavier weights with barre seems exciting to me. I have been interested in trying P57 for a long time, but have always stopped from purchasing because I don't spend much on DVDs and they seemed expensive to me. I love hearing about how fun they seem. Maybe someday!
Lulu, I am soooooo cheap. Really. My brother says I'm tighter than the paper on the wall! But I'd pay full price for Physique 57 DVDs again in a New York minute. They are BY FAR my most used DVDs.

They use 8lbs. as their 'heavy' weights in the DVDs. I find I do best with 10s. They have up to 10s and 12s in the studios, and a few 20lb. weights, I've noticed. Probably for the handful of men who take classes. There are still a fair number of reps, so I'm quite certain I'd never go about 12lb weights. I'm very challenged with 10s.
Old 01-22-14, 12:23 PM  
momofcha

I am exactly one month in to my Pure Barre classes and I am having results. I took pictures to even compare the results. My arms are leaner and more defined, my butt is more lifted and smaller , my abs are finally moving in the right direction, my legs/thighs are very tight and strong and my hamstrings are as well.

It's a process, but I'm liking what I see so far and I am continuing with my classes. I have been going 6 days/week.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 12:25 PM  
starbelly

I've never done TA, but I have had an on and off love affair with barre for 10+ years. For a long while I did nothing but yoga and cycling, but I missed the barre burn. I also lift (kettlebells, but not very heavy. My biggest bell is 16kg), but I do barre and yoga on my off days. At one point I did it 4 times per week, but 2-3 times per week is my sweet spot. I love what Nuggie's Auntie calls the "lalalas"-- it's a real thing! Being able to stay with the burn really develops what I call "mental fortitude". I had it from yoga, but barre is more intense. My hips have really slimmed out and my booty sits higher than ever, but I have also improved my balance and general outlook.

There are tons of different styles and what works for some may not work for you. See if you can borrow/rent some different DVDs to figure out your type. I was Bar Method at the start (and still need some Burr from time to time) but I am currently using Suzanne Bowen's streaming site along with a Pure Barre here and there. I got the first month for $5 (it's usually $10) with the code Fitin40, but I don't know if that's still active.

ETA: You can get your first month free with the code "liveyourlife". I don't think that you will have to enter a credit card number for the trial.

Last edited by starbelly; 01-22-14 at 12:52 PM. Reason: ETA
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre results, diet, results