Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-15, 04:03 PM  
northernlight

Exercise when depressed?

I have been dealing with a long period of depression. At first, I was able to work out; but I often did so in a driven way. I ended up just adding to the stress that was (I think) partly fuelling my depressed mood.

Besides profound sadness and a sense of worthlessness, my depression also includes fatigue, apathy, lethargy and a 'what's-the-use?' attitude. So exercise of any kind seems almost impossible. But I know it could help. So I was wondering if any of you have found particular workouts helpful?

I think that some sort of aerobics would be a good idea as long as it's doable. (I've done next to nothing since May and not very much for a while before that.) I'm also thinking of yoga, of course. Maybe especially yoga.

I do have an excellent psychiatrist but I seem to be treatment resistant, and will be starting something quite different at the end of August. (As part of a drug trial.) In the meantime, and as an adjunct to medical care, I want to do whatever i can to feel better. My doctor has encouraged me to exercise if I can.

I would appreciate any advice, suggestions for vids, etc. Thanks.
northernlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 04:13 PM  
donnamp

Oh, Northernlight, I'm sorry you are dealing with this - my suggestions for workouts that will make you feel better without stressing your body are:

- outdoor walking to the extent possible given weather and other factors (work schedules, I know impact my ability to walk outside regularly as does the weather), but I think the sunlight and being outdoors is helpful and I wouldn't focus on going fast or hard, just moving and enjoying the sensation of being outdoors.

- I also really like fusion workouts for times when I'm feeling down/blue (I don't have clinical depression - so I know what I experience is nothing like what you face) - Ellen Barrett, Jessica Smith, etc.

- If you enjoy dance - some dance workouts - whatever style you like - I really like Petra Kolber - her Liquid Grooves or her BREATHE workouts are very relaxing to me and uplifting.

- Just playing music you like and doing what moves you want to do - dance or other - maybe some step combos you create for yourself

- For some people I think yoga helps, but for others I think it may bring unpleasant feelings up - but if you find yoga helps, I suggest it!

Hope this helps and I'm sorry you are dealing with this and hope the new treatment works.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 04:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

So sorry you are having such a hard time, sending you lots of (((hugs))). Can you round up a supportive workout buddy? I find having someone to do activities with always motivates me. Also are you in or close to an area where you can walk outdoors? Walking in a park or through nature trails can be very relaxing and uplifting, and it's even better with a friend. Yoga is a great idea too, if that is something you enjoy.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 04:58 PM  
Sophb21

I'm so sorry that you're going through all this sending a zillion hugs to you.

I agree with the ideas posted, if you can go for a walk outdoor (if you have a dog it'll help motivate you) or if you like dance style workouts that would be great to do. The important thing is to be kind to yourself and your body and remember that you aren't necessarily working out to get a six pack at this moment but are working out to help get you through this. That's why I suggest do something for you and perhaps something that isn't your usual thing to avoid any dread factor (maybe treat yourself to the new Cize DVD?) or JNL - she comes up with some classic phrases you can't help but laugh.
Sophb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 05:10 PM  
cecififi

I am so sorry you are having a tough time. It sounds like you are trying and/or considering different things to get you back on track which is great. I am an avid exerciser. That said, at times when I have felt really down, I just couldn't motivate myself to work out at all even though I knew how good it was for me.

Although I love weight training, I find a good cardio workout lifts my spirits and leaves me feeling accomplished. Maybe a Jessica Smith online walking dvd could give you a boost if you don't feel like going out one day. She is so encouraging and you feel worked out but not spent.

I am currently listening to an audiobook by Harriet Lerner called Fear and other uninvited guests. I've just discovered her and just think she is fantastic. It's a short book/audiobook. I also live in Ontario (Toronto) and got her stuff (I took out more of her books) from the library. Big hugs to you. I hope you find what works for you.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 05:17 PM  
BunnyHop

As others have said, walking is great exercise. Sunshine and fresh air are also nice, but don't forget that if you have one nearby, indoor shopping malls let you walk in air conditioned comfort.

Swimming is great too, if it's an option. Very good exercise, and cooling in the heat.

Moving your body can be a help, just in itself. Dance around to an mp3 player or something, if you can't get into a formal routine of workouts.

Other things to consider:
Take a look at every form of self medication, to check for yourself to see if they're contributing to the problem. Alcohol, antihistamines, herbal supplements, everything.

For me, even a relatively tiny bit of alcohol makes me tired/achy, and I have to reevaluate my antihistamine use on a regular basis, since they all seem to have side effects the longer I take them.

If you have a tendency towards melancholy, DON'T listen to sad songs, read gloomy stories, watch depressing movies, etc. They can reinforce a dark mood and interfere with your recovery.

Do what you can to reinforce your ability to appreciate beauty, joy and laughter.

What about art or music lessons? (Letting yourself enjoy something amusing and inspiring can be a challenge at such times, but do see if you can manage it.)

Best of luck with your recovery.

(I had great success with a sort of cognitive behavioral talk therapy; it helped me put some of my greatest burdens/unhappiest memories/unsolvable problems in a healthier perspective.)
Old 08-02-15, 05:21 PM  
Bluebelle

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm not sure what kind of workouts you like but something like a feel good fusion instead of a difficult workout might be good, as mentioned above. If you want something new I like the 2 new Joyful Movements by Natalie. She was a background exerciser in some of Ellen's DVDs. Has a nice, ballet feel to them.

Also Jessica Smith - her free online workouts or her more recent walking DVDs are nice. She's enjoyable to workout with. I'm enjoying the 21 day set. Has a nice variety to it.

Classical stretch/essentrics might be good. Those workouts make me feel so nice and stretched out and are relaxing. CS season 10 is nice. It's all standing, all floor or all barre.

I hope you find something that works for you and feel better soon.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 05:22 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Hi NorthernLight,

So sorry you are going through this. Depression is so hard and it can feel like there is no way out. I want you to know you aren't the only one going through it and there is hope. I've struggled with it all my life but have also found many things that help.

1) Several years ago I came across a study reviewed in the New York Times where the followed hundreds of test subjects for 6, 8 and 12 weeks on this and they got results on the order of better than 85% of people eliminated there depression even a year later. The test was on 20 minutes of low intensity steady-state cardio 6x/week. (The test subject walked on the treadmill at 60% of max heartrate.) When I tried it, I did elliptical and after 4 days I had a sort of breakthrough. And I also had some trouble because I was so out of shape. (My first day, I had to take two breaks to get to 20 minutes.) I usually aimed for 5-6x/week, but a few weeks I only made it to 4x/week because I was very busy. When I did this, I also listened to up-beat dance music (Daft Punk .) In the past I had been on medication for severe depression, and this worked as well as medication. However, if you are having severe depression with suicidal thoughts, I recommend you get on medication right away.

2) Recently I have been doing meditation and have been feeling a lot better. It's more subtle and gradual than other things I have done, but I really like the benefit I am getting. I've been reading Tara Brach's Radical Acceptance, and have really been enjoying it. This book also has an accompanying CD (Radical Acceptance: Guided Meditations) of the meditations in the book. Radical Acceptance is really empowering and has really challenged ideas and beliefs I have had all my life about myself and how I relate to the world. It's also so gentle and delicate. At first when I read the book, I would think "Oh, this is silly how can I believe this...how does this apply to me" but then I do the exercise at the end of the chapter, and realize the benefits she talks about. I have also recently (a few days ago) started reading The Wisdom of No Escape by Pema Chodron and the way she describes meditation in this book has really been helping me.

3) You mentioned you are working with a psychiatrist, but have you done any counseling or psychotherapy? This will really help with the negative thinking and also learning how your thoughts affect how you feel. I've worked with a counselor who does a mindfulness-based practice (Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy), and it is really empowering.

Those are some things that have worked for me. I hope you find what you need. *hugs*
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 05:43 PM  
SuzieC

Hi NorthernLight,
I'm so sorry you are going through this and want you to know i can relate. Everyone is different, of course, but I know what it feels like to have recurrent, massive depression. That black dog keeps visiting, but it can be tamed. If you remember one thing, just remember that. Biggest hugs to you.
Exercise helped me to much to get out of the worst of my last bout over the winter.
For me, what helped were short workouts that didn't overwhelm me but made me feel like I've moved my entire body and got the circulation moving.

The two latest Tracy Anderson beginner videos were really great for that (even though I had been in year 2 of Continuity, the fatigue I had only allowed me to do the beginner Tracy videos). They have 3 segments of shorter workouts on each mat and cardio workout. (Tracy Anderson: Cardio Dance for Beginners and Tracy Anderson: Mat Workout for Beginners - both released in 2014). Keep in mind that I really love TA workouts so I naturally ended up doing those because they were in line with what i love. I also did some easier The Firm workouts.

Also, Kundalini Yoga has been tremendous in giving me back my motivation and my will. I would urge you to try some Kundalini, especially if you are tending towards yoga. Kundalini Yoga for Beginners and Beyond, the first segment "Rise and Spine" would be really great for you, I think. If you are on yogaglo, check out Kia Miller's Beginner Series (you can get a free 15 day trial on yogaglo if you want to try this).

Good luck to you, and if ever you want to "chat", feel free to PM me. Sometimes it's just helpful to know that others can relate to what you are going through.

I wish you a speedy way out of this current difficult time.
Suzie
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 05:44 PM  
raeven

Rebounding seems to be a particularly fun way to work out as well! Throw on some good moving tunes or your favorite movies/tv shows and bounce around! Fun and low impact!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote