Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-05, 01:42 PM  
ksleeth
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2
Barb S
who walks with dh and has to listen to him LOL
Barb - Thanks for the laugh! Every now and again my husband joins me for walks too, so I can certainly relate!
Old 01-16-05, 04:25 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary W
I still, after all these years, like to hear ole Kathy Smith's motivational tips on occasion as well. It's not like she's talking the whole time, and no Megan, I don't think she ever says, "Put one foot in front of the other." LOL
err, I had to quote myself to call myself a liar! I pulled out the Lean Walk I tape today and yes, Kathy does say "Put one foot in front of the other." Well, I still stand by the fact that she has lots more interesting stuff to say too . I do stand corrected.
Mary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 10:53 PM  
chrisjeffnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary W
err, I had to quote myself to call myself a liar! I pulled out the Lean Walk I tape today and yes, Kathy does say "Put one foot in front of the other." Well, I still stand by the fact that she has lots more interesting stuff to say too . I do stand corrected.

OMG Mary! That is so freaking funny!

Lisa and Loretta, thank you for the info on the Nomad. I need to get DH on board with this. And make him think its all his idea!

Sue B, thanks for the info on the Kathy cd. Can you tell if it is the entire Walkfit program or just a sample? I wonder if she's doing that as advertisement for her new Beachbody program?

Tahnks everyone. Especially for the laugh Mary! That really cracked me up!
chrisjeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 01:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

since January 05, i have been collecting all of kathy smith's audios, including PY that i got from a generous VFer, and madeleine Lewis (she has choreographed all of kathy's pre-PY vids).

i used to go running, making my own tapes of dance or rock music. i've done this for years - even before i started using videos to workout with.

fastforward to this year, when i started doing Leslie tapes, then bought a HRM. then thought about walking outside.

i have to say that kathy's and madeleine's walking audios are extremely good. especially kathy's audios, the ones with the intervals on it. remember how everyone is looking for a good interval workout? well, these are correctly designed for it, and by having someone cue you, you can focus on form. now, i know you're probably thinking, "no one needs to tell me how to walk" or "i can check my own watch" and monitor the intervals.

doing these audios (i loaded them into my iRiver) keeps me in the aerobic zone, as evidenced by my HRM. there are many videos/dvds that weren't able to do this in a steady manner. and you do it without overtraining.

kathy talks, but it is not the hyper - Timesaver cardio style that people complain about. she's sitting in a sound-proof studio, probably with a voice-tone moderator, and she's talking in a relaxed but encouraging tone. same for madeleine. and she's not doing the workout with you, so she can't possibly be hyper! the music is scientifically programmed, and her cues come at appropriate times - she does NOT yak non-stop. her cues really help you to focus, whereas before, when i'd go running, my brain would be wandering all over the place.

having to keep up with the intervals using good form gave me DOMS the next day.

i tried the audios using my rebounder and wearing my HRM, but walking outdoors is a slightly more intense workout since it was designed for walking outside. i learned this by comparing my HR from my HRM. walking outside uses different muscles because you are having to push forward without momentum. on the rebounder, i found that i had to add arm movements to get my heartrate up there, whereas walking outside, i was able to do it without modifying. i have yet to try these on the treadmill.

it's a great workout. if you're unsure if something like this would be good for you, your public library might have some walking audios on cassette to borrow - i borrowed a few while waiting for my order from Collage to come.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 02:13 PM  
ooty

OK...I think Bzar said it all...I haven't read it completely

Little bit oxygen deprived brain..so sleepy.
So what do I do..get back on to VF

Two walking tapes I have that are good:

1. GAIAM walking CD
2. Steady strides (Kathy Smith..generously donated to me by Mimi).

I have to confess I have not really used them to walk, but I listen to them all the time (till my children bite my head off).

PS Bzar, just went to your post quicly..which iriver do you have..
ooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 02:17 PM  
ooty

Hey somebody mentioned back pack...

Try walking poles...again I have not done them, but I am on VF so much things get into my brain by osmosis...

I think rD recommended back-pack ..is this an old thread or is he back?

Welcome rD.

Well I told you, I am sleep-deprived and confused..this is an old thread..no rD back yet...
Old 04-20-05, 05:00 PM  
MissTWoods

Hey Ooty....don't forget about Cardio Coach for walking!!! I plan to use my cds for power walks around my neighborhood. I think they'll be fantastic!!!
MissTWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 05:32 PM  
ooty

Horsemom

Don't trade it...it is just great to listen, you need not exercise with it....
Old 04-20-05, 05:43 PM  
sgonzalez

Cassettes to Share

I originally started this thread sometime ago... and a kind VFer (Mary W) sent me some Kathy walking cassettes. I have since got cds to transfer to my mp3.

So - I would like to pass on the love. Would anyone like to try these walking cassettes? Email or PM me.

- Stacey
sgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
special k, walking audio, walking cds