Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-05, 09:47 PM  
sgonzalez

Walking CDs

Anybody have a suggestion for a walking workout cd?

I am not looking for a dvd to do on a treadmill - but a cd to use outside.

Thanks!
Stacey
sgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 09:56 PM  
Susan

I don't use them, but I know Collage sells quite a variety of them. I know that I bought some a few years ago when I was going to start an outdoor walking program, and I remember I had some by Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Leslie Sansone, and Richard Simmons.

I wonder what I ever did with them... (It was a short-lived program...)

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 10:06 PM  
chrisjeffnick

I've been thinking about doing this too!

The new Kathy Smith Project You set includes a walking cd so I ordered that set. But I would love to know what others like. I think you can hear sound clips at Collage.

I'm also intereted in knowing which brand of cd player people like to use while walking.
chrisjeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 10:12 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjeffnick

I'm also intereted in knowing which brand of cd player people like to use while walking.
I've taken to just cranking up the old boom box now that I have my own treadmill, but I'd think any of the new ones with skip protection would be fine. Of course, now there's all that crazy Ipod technology...I don't know nothin' about that!
Mary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 10:19 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
The new Kathy Smith Project You set includes a walking cd so I ordered that set.
hey chris! I just received your pm,and I'd just like to add...I had no idea there was a walking cd included in Kathy's new Project You set. Now I'm really excited about it!! Thanks for the info!
Old 01-14-05, 10:31 PM  
Megan
VF Supporter

My mom had a few of these and she didn't like them at all. I got her the Kathy Smith set for Christmas last year and she said it was really cheesy and boring. I mean, how do you instruct a walking tape? Ummm.... walk..... walk faster! One foot in front of the other now! :rolleyes: She prefers just walking to her own music.
Old 01-14-05, 10:04 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

My personal favorites are any of Shape's and Kathy Smith's. Kathy talks in hers, but it's very good music and very motivating talk. Shape is just great music. Very high quality. I have almost all of them, and I just today went on a CD bender , so if you'd like to contact me in a week or so...assuming I actually get my new Kathy CDs, I'd be happy to send you the cassettes SASE.
Old 01-14-05, 10:30 PM  
chrisjeffnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary W
My personal favorites are any of Shape's and Kathy Smith's. Kathy talks in hers, but it's very good music and very motivating talk. Shape is just great music. Very high quality. I have almost all of them, and I just today went on a CD bender , so if you'd like to contact me in a week or so...assuming I actually get my new Kathy CDs, I'd be happy to send you the cassettes SASE.
Mary, thanks so much for the information. That was really helpful!

I'm wondering how you decided which workout BPMs to buy? Or did you do what I would do and just go by the songs?

I know it sounds crazy but that walking cd is what pushed me over the edge on the Project You set. I really wanted it!

Thanks again! Chris
Old 01-14-05, 10:36 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Mary, thanks so much for the information. That was really helpful!

I'm wondering how you decided which workout BPMs to buy? Or did you do what I would do and just go by the songs?

I know it sounds crazy but that walking cd is what pushed me over the edge on the Project You set. I really wanted it!

Thanks again! Chris
As Megan points out, they might not be for everyone , but I find them very motivating. The bpms have never really made a difference to me either. I just like the motivating music.

If you don't want to hear someone giving the occasional instruction (abs in, shoulders back, tighten your glutes...all good reminders for me! ) then something more along the line of Shape or Dynamix (I've never liked any Dymanix that I've had, but then again...it's all a matter of TASTE!) with just great music is probably more what you're looking for. It's all a matter of taste.

I walk with mine, I run with mine. It doesn't seem to make a difference what bpm it is. I just feel like going faster when the music picks up!
Old 01-14-05, 10:43 PM  
chrisjeffnick

I can understand not wanting to hear Kathy's cues, but I think they'd help me too Mary.

One advantage these cds have over using your own music is the consistent bpm range. That way you have something helping you keep pace. Similar to using a treadmill, which makes you walk a certain speed. I know that when I walk now, I tend to start off very briskly but then I really start dragging. Since I don't wear a heart rate monitor the music is a helpful guide.

Mary, do you use a rebounder? I think these cds would be really helpful with that too.

Tags
special k, walking audio, walking cds