Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-20, 09:23 AM  
LoveVA

The people directly involved in the scenario are actors. The people doing the commenting about someone's body shape are actors, the person being body shamed is also an actor.

The whole point of the show is to gauge how people witnessing the event would act. Would they intervene? What will they say? Will they say anything at all or will they just ignore the situation. That is why the show is called "What Would You Do?" The show is supposed to make the home viewer think about what he or she would do in that situation.

Conveniently, an onlooker always intervenes and at some point, the host comes out and will reveal that the shamers and the shamees are all actors. The host will then talk to the onlooker to find out why he/she felt the need to intervene.

The acting is bad and, given that it is a reality show, it wouldn't surprise me if the onlookers are also actors.

I only watched the show a couple of times and it all seemed very staged to me, even the intervention of the onlookers. Every episode presents different types of situations. Not just body shaming.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 10:26 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
The people directly involved in the scenario are actors. The people doing the commenting about someone's body shape are actors, the person being body shamed is also an actor.

The whole point of the show is to gauge how people witnessing the event would act. Would they intervene? What will they say? Will they say anything at all or will they just ignore the situation. That is why the show is called "What Would You Do?" The show is supposed to make the home viewer think about what he or she would do in that situation.

Conveniently, an onlooker always intervenes and at some point, the host comes out and will reveal that the shamers and the shamees are all actors. The host will then talk to the onlooker to find out why he/she felt the need to intervene.

The acting is bad and, given that it is a reality show, it wouldn't surprise me if the onlookers are also actors.

I only watched the show a couple of times and it all seemed very staged to me, even the intervention of the onlookers. Every episode presents different types of situations. Not just body shaming.
My husband always turns this show on. It drives me crazy!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 02:33 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I probably wouldn't intervene unless someone was in physical danger. Tempers are short these days. Once at the Y this man came at me because he wanted my treadmill (thought I'd been on it too long). I looked him in the eye and he backed off, but it made me nervous and I left.
Old 08-12-20, 03:24 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post

OK, I understand it better, thanks!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 04:15 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I probably wouldn't intervene unless someone was in physical danger. Tempers are short these days. Once at the Y this man came at me because he wanted my treadmill (thought I'd been on it too long). I looked him in the eye and he backed off, but it made me nervous and I left.
This is why I wonder if the onlookers are also actors. They are too willing to get involved in someone else's business. People in real life are so tightly-wound, that you don't know if interfering will lead to the other person reacting badly.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body shaming, reality shows