Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-20, 05:27 PM  
Rose

Hello!
Good & Strong Volume 2 Section A Upper Body

Margaret was in her backyard by the creek. There was light music, kinda jazzy.She did one of her dancey warm ups. Then on the mat for pecs. I liked this sequence a lot. She went heavier than normal. It went on for some time. I thought we were done but nope! More moves. The burn!

Then triceps on the mat where she does that push-up for triceps that I've only seen her do. I didn't really feel it except in my elbows. I switched to single arm tricep push-ups from Ballet Beautiful.

Standing for biceps. Again she goes heavy. The moves are slow and controlled. A good bicep workout. Then shoulders. Some different moves. She starts off and works the back of the shoulder, then does overhead presses and more variations. This was a good workout.

Then she goes to calves. I substituted back work on the mat. I'll do calves tomorrow with the lower body.

This was a good upper body workout if you add in back work. The triceps was a no. Other than that, Margaret works you in this one.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 07:34 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

CS 1229 - Body Shaping
Margaret Richard - Unplugged 2025 - triceps, back, calves, inner thighs, abs

Last night before we had a "virtual" college visit - I did a 30 min walk w/ Leslie.

Margaret mentioned in this workout that she was just about to turn 60- these were filmed in 2008. She is still going strong 12 years later!

Gypsy Rose - I have fond memories of doing that workout - it is a tough one!! I love the ones where she filmed outdoors.

Summer Breeze - glad you are feeling better - I have heard there is a stomach bug going around along w/ everything else. Sorry the test was so unpleasant.

Waves, everyone -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 07:51 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi gals!!!

Yesterday was 96 and humid so no walk. I finally got around to MR's Strong & Limber volume 2. I really liked this one. I used drop sets for the back and deltoid work. I put my ankle weights on my thighs like Margaret did and I liked it better this way! Not quite as grueling for some reason. I'll have to remember to use them on the thighs from now on.

PAT, good job with Perfect 10. Maybe I'll do that one next when I do an MR workout again.

DONNA, welcome!! Margaret is a great choice if you want to gain strength but not wear yourself out. I don't do well on rigid schedules either. ETA -- I was typing while you posted. I didn't realize a stomach bug was going around. That makes sense. Good job with your routine so far. Do you find the Unplugged 2000s a bit easier than 1900?

ROSE, nice workout. I have trouble feeling tricep push-ups too for some reason. I usually sub kickbacks or the overhead tricep exercise. How frustrating for your friend waiting so long for a negative result. Since I felt better after one day and didn't have the classic symptoms, I'm really sure it's not covid but you never know.

Have a great day!
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 08:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Morning! Yesterday I did a butt kicking Pilates workout on Glo, did part of Jane Fonda's walking workout, and was too sore for weights when I got home. Instead I enjoyed Mirabai Holland's Moving Free Flexibility, very sweet routine.

Hi Donna, so happy you are joining us! Margaret really has withstood the test of time.

Rose I don't like that tricep exercise on the mat either, it just doesn't feel right.

Summer - I think yesterday was the worst one yet. We need a break already! Good job with your workout.

Stay cool ladies!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 06:18 PM  
Rose

Hello!
Margaret Richard's Good & Strong Volume 2 Section B

The setting is in Margaret's backyard. Several times a strong wind comes through and blows the yellow leaves around. It's really pretty.

All work except quads done on the mat. I had warmed up for 15 minutes before with walking. The first section started with abs- I did my own thing. Then onto inner thighs, where she has both legs out and lifts the bottom up. She wore weights, I didn't, I should have as it was a short workout. Next up- outer thighs this time I wore weights. A medium outer thigh workout, by the end, I was ready to stop but it wasn't excruciating.

Hamstrings up next- she had a ball that she placed behind her knee. The knee was at a right angle the whole time. She had weights, I did not. It wasn't her hardest hamstring work but it was still tough. Instead of doing glutes in between, she continued with the other hamstring. No! I needed the break and went ahead to the glutes. That was the normal lifting with weights on the hip crease. This time the ball was placed between the knees. Okay, again, medium intensity. Then I finished the other glute.

I was tired by this time. I skipped the quad exercise which was done standing, with 5 lb weights in each hand held out the the front of the body while squatting. No, Margaret, just, no.

This is a very good DVD. I will give it an A. The outside setting, the not terrible music, Margaret in fine form...and with this DVD, one can work heavier. Margaret gets right to work, giving great form pointers and really works the muscle. I'll come back to this one many times in the future.
Old 08-14-20, 08:05 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was back to Pahla B- I needed to get some cardio in today since I didn't get anything in yesterday and my step count was abysmal.

I went out to dinner w/ a friend - it was my first time eating out since before the pandemic! We sat outside and we were the only ones on the patio. Inside the restaurant it was well under the 50% capacity allowed. We did see a lot of people picking up take out - so that is good for the business - that they are still able to serve customers through carry out.

Anyway- it was my first time wearing real pants - as in w/out a drawstring or elastic waist since March - LOL - and boy, were they tight. I also had a dr's appointment yesterday which confirmed the 5lb quarantine gain - I blame my diet more than lack of exercise or the "right" exercise - I do snack more mindlessly now so I must stop that. I also found out my HDL is low - although my total cholesterol numbers are fine. So, the recommendation is more cardio - and I also know I should be snacking on nuts, as opposed the junk I snack on.

So, I do have some things to work on - which I wanted to do anyway - more water, less snacking, taking a planned break from work during the day - figuring if I take a 20-30 min break and do some light movement I may be less likely to reach for snacks when I'm frustrated, and trying to improve my diet in terms of getting my HDL higher - so I'm thinking some more fish, nuts, seeds, and healthy oils/fats.

Anyway that is my rambling for the day!

Today was:

Pahla B - Healthy Lungs workout - she set this one up as a "push" day - you do 30 seconds of walking, 20 seconds of another exercise at a faster pace and then 10 seconds of another exercise at a 'push" pace. I felt fairly worked out by the end. I sometimes feel that Pahla's more recent workouts are not challenging enough But this one felt good and I still think she is on to something with her approach to "middle age" fitness - the delicate balance of doing enough w/out over doing and allowing enough rest time. I also really enjoyed her recent video of things that she gave up to be healthier -

Trifecta Pilates - 20 Min Feel Good Pilates

Gypsy Rose - that is one of my favorite MR workouts, I remember a few years ago I did it quite often.

Summer Breeze - agreed - I have been a little sore since starting MR's workouts again, but nothing incapacitating which is good.

Pat - it is good to see you, too!!! That sounded like a good combo of workouts. Are you still taking your beach walks?

Anyway - hope everyone has a good day!!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 08:52 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi gals!

Yesterday I did an outdoor walk and that was it. I'm going to try to get to MR again today.

PAT, nice workout mix. I think *hope* the humidity is slowly starting to lower.

ROSE, another great MR workout and review. I really need to dig this one out soon. I think my next one is going to be Perfect 10 though, hopefully today.

DONNA, nice workout combo. I'm sure I've put on a few lbs since the lockdown also. In my case in addition to probably mindlessly snacking more often it's also less activity overall. I'm exercising more than ever now but I had a very active job in a restaurant, I would easily get over 20,000 steps a shift, so I think that helped keep my weight down too. There's really no realistic way to get that many steps when I'm not working. So I guess it's definitely time to watch the eats for sure. Your healthy plan sounds very sensible.

Have a great day!
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 01:34 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

TGIF!!!

Yesterday I did my back PT, Perfect 10 workout A-2 and some hip openers and inversion. That was a tough one, all standing. I had a medical appointment today and the doctor shocked me by saying I look very fit and he can tell I exercise. I was like, "ME???!!!" I think I function well for someone my age with severe arthritis but never would consider myself to look fit. It was motivating! My Fitbit died yesterday and he totally motivated me to buy a new one. My upgrade is on the way from Costco - a Charge 4.

Summer I'm definitely snacking more since our "new normal." I don't get this "ah so what" attitude but need to shake up this entitled feeling that I can satisfy every little craving. That was a lot of daily steps on your job.

Donna I wore "realization pants" this week too. Oomph, they were loose last summer. Your lunch sounds so nice. It's been too hot for me to go to the beach lately. Next cloudy day for sure.

Rose, it can be awkward to get the ball positioned behind the knee correctly for that exercise, but once you get it, it feels like the perfect hamstring exercise.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 07:11 PM  
Rose

Margaret Richard's Getting Better Upper Body

All exercises are done on the mat or while seated on a chair. Starts off with a seated upper body warmup. Then on the mat for chest. She went on and on with this one. Little pulses near the floor- oh, it kills me.
Triceps on the mat with weights behind the head. Again, this fried my arms. One of her best triceps work.

Biceps while seated. Lots of variation, a very good workout.
Shoulders while seated. Again, she incorporated different moves. She leaned her body forward and worked the back of the shoulders.These are tough for me but I felt them and need to do more of this work.

Back was okay. I did a little more back work but quit as I was tired. Later on, I completed the ab work. She put her feet on her chair to help with the ab work.
Then a seated stretch.

This was a great workout! She kept going and going. I've read that the main part of the workout is the lower body. I'm s cared!
Old 08-14-20, 07:24 PM  
Rose

Hello!

Summer Breeze- Glad you are feeling better. And you did a lot of steps at work. One of my friends worked as a waitress into her 70's and another of her friends worked into her 80s! The work kept them sharp, active, healthy and strong. It's hard to go from that kind of activity to the enclosed life many are living right now. It's good that you have your exercise habits to keep you moving.

Donna- Your diet plan sounds good. You are right that snacking is often due to frustration so substituting exercise instead is a great idea.So Pahla B's new offerings are easier or do you think you are stronger?

Pat That's a great compliment from the Doctor. Congratulations on your hard work! I'm sorry about your arthritis. I thought that stopped people from working out - that you continue to still move - Pat, my hat's off to you.

Enjoy the start of the weekend!

Tags
margaret richard rotation