Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-20, 09:47 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Wow, Mary, that is some pretty impressive de-cluttering, especially after last doing it just a few months ago!

The past few days I've de-cluttered the area that I'm using as my home office (now that it looks like I'm going to be here longer...). It was mostly re-arranging, but I also trashed a few "why am I holding onto this?" things.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 04:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i feel ok with what appears to be my staring at the screen, but i'm actually looking at people's homes in the background! and because our home is cluttered, when any of us need to videoconference, we set up in front of the piano (back to the piano, laptop pointed toward the piano). it's one of the clutter-free spots in the house and provides a nice backdrop.

i was inspired to smile more because at a recent meeting, my co-worker was smiling a lot and it was refreshing. he wasn't just smiling, he looked amused the whole time.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 05:04 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I did a huge purge late last year and into Feb this year to prepare for a move....that is no longer happening. Long story there, but I’m good with staying put for now. It felt good to get rid of stuff I wasn’t using. That being said, I have acquired a few fitness toys now that I’m pretty much strictly working out at home.

I’m teaching Essentrics & doing other instructor’s Essentrics & yoga classes on zoom so I also bought a few new colourful workouts shirts & capri leggings. I love colour and it feels good to make an effort. I’m retired, but I do frequent zoom chats with friends and my Essentrics study group & it’s nice to make an effort appearance wise....dress up a bit & wear a little make up.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 05:09 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i feel ok with what appears to be my staring at the screen, but i'm actually looking at people's homes in the background! and because our home is cluttered, when any of us need to videoconference, we set up in front of the piano (back to the piano, laptop pointed toward the piano). it's one of the clutter-free spots in the house and provides a nice backdrop.

i was inspired to smile more because at a recent meeting, my co-worker was smiling a lot and it was refreshing. he wasn't just smiling, he looked amused the whole time.
I am not going to lie, when I am in Zoom meetings I am always looking at the background to see how houses are decorated, painted ok and yes, maybe even cluttered. If I Zoom from home it's in front of a blank wall in my dining room for that reason alone.

I feel good about my kitchen but it has only encouraged me to do more. Like I said it's really small and honestly I don't cook for large groups much anymore so might as well let others have my stuff. My next project is a closet. But I do stay on top of things but becoming a minimalist is gaining speed on me quickly. Stay well.
Old 08-11-20, 08:13 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Jeannine, when DH & I watch the news these days, we are constantly trying to make out the names of the book titles on people's shelves! It is hard to find a good backdrop. Since my basement workout room is now also my home office, I have had to try to angle the computer where the light is best and where the view of exercise stuff is minimal!

Pam, I thought I saw that your place is up for sale--is the move back on? When I have filmed my YouTube yoga and meditation videos, I have made an effort to fix myself up a little more, although of course I'm still not wearing my usual professional clothing.

Mary, I like seeing little details from people's homes in the backgrounds, like their artwork, a plant, or even a pet. I find it very humanizing!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-11-20, 08:25 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Beth, our city condo is up for sale. It’s very small & right in the downtown core. Very busy there, harder to social distance, etc. So we are staying in our house about 2 hours away from the city. We had planned to move to the condo, sell this house, buy a smaller house in the city, & then sell the condo. With our DS2 back on the island for his medical residency, a major bonus as he could have ended up anywhere, the house is nicely situated between our two boys and big enough for family gatherings.
So....no move....

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 08-11-20, 08:46 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Ahh, Pam, I see. The pandemic has certainly wreaked havoc with many best-laid plans!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-12-20, 02:33 PM  
BunnyHop

Does anyone have some advice to share on downsizing to move?

I'm still in the home I shared with my dad, but my goal is to move to a smaller place, elsewhere. So. Long distance move with a good bit of downsizing.

I'm stuck at overwhelm, but have managed to completely clear out one bedroom and bathroom of everything that must go. Mostly I see that now as extra free space to use for temporary storage of stuff I want to keep long term while I clear out another section of the house.
Old 08-12-20, 02:42 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

I'm still in the home I shared with my dad, but my goal is to move to a smaller place, elsewhere. So. Long distance move with a good bit of downsizing.

I'm stuck at overwhelm, but have managed to completely clear out one bedroom and bathroom of everything that must go. Mostly I see that now as extra free space to use for temporary storage of stuff I want to keep long term while I clear out another section of the house.
It's tough! My *only* suggestion is to remind yourself that if you get rid of it you don't have to pack it, move it, and unpack it.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 03:01 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

It can be a daunting task for sure! I purged late last year for the move that never happened. I found it easiest to focus on one room at a time & empty all the drawers & closets. I would have a keep pile, a sell pile, & a donate or free pile. It’s amazing what people will pick up if it’s free! Facebook marketplace & the VarageSale app have worked great for selling & giving away. Also it’s overwhelming to look at it as one huge task IMO, more manageable to look at one room or even one closet at a time. Take a few days off in between when you need to catch your breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
It's tough! My *only* suggestion is to remind yourself that if you get rid of it you don't have to pack it, move it, and unpack it.
Yes, that is definitely motivating!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Tags
de-clutter, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, minimalist, minimizing