Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-13, 12:00 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
Hi All -
I launched into the Tabata and Toning workout this morning and IT WAS HARD (for me). I was gasping, not able to keep up with the fast pace and felt like overall it was super tough. It was definitely a "workout" and I was counting the minutes. Did not feel any fun factor, just constant down to business with no stopping - thank goodness it was only 45 minutes or I may have died. I had to stop a few times to huff and puff and gain some composure. I even had to follow the modifier several times!!!

Did anyone else have problems getting through this?
It was tough, because there no breaks. This was not a true Tabata, as there was no 10 second rest and I swear some of those supposed 20 second sections were longer than 20 seconds. I did pause a few times, because I need my water. I think Shammy902 posted that this was the toughest workout of the five.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 12:00 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I think I read these weren't chaptered, so for those who are doing half only, do you have to fast forward the next time to reach the point you left off? Or is there some chaptering within the workout?
I'll have to double-check but I think you can skip to certain sections of the workout. I was FF or RW through Fusion Mix at first, but I believe I started skipping around after that just to see what was coming up.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 12:01 PM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
LOL. I was the same way.

I think I will dive in today though with the "easiest" one, Bikini Bootcamp? I think I read these weren't chaptered, so for those who are doing half only, do you have to fast forward the next time to reach the point you left off? Or is there some chaptering within the workout?
If I do half the workout and plan on finishing it the next day, I just stop it and my DVD player remembers where I left off. If I happen to take the disc out and lose my place, then I do have to fast forward. I can't remember if I ever tried skipping through to see if there are any chapter breaks.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 01:30 PM  
hotncmom

First workout done! I did Fusion with Brooke. That was tough, and I couldn't find my big ball so I used a pilates ring (which only worked for the on the back stuff). Overall I liked it but she doesn't mirror cue and I swear one time she got her sides mixed up, so I'll have to figure out whether to just work the same side as they're working facing me and ignore the left/right cues.

I didn't realize how much I had lost cardio-wise. During the cardio segments I was huffing and puffing. I'm following the modifier for a while until I get used to this. It's definitely harder than I've worked out in a long time.

If I'm not too sore, I plan to do Bikini Bootcamp tomorrow morning.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 02:05 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I'll have to double-check but I think you can skip to certain sections of the workout. I was FF or RW through Fusion Mix at first, but I believe I started skipping around after that just to see what was coming up.

Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
If I do half the workout and plan on finishing it the next day, I just stop it and my DVD player remembers where I left off. If I happen to take the disc out and lose my place, then I do have to fast forward. I can't remember if I ever tried skipping through to see if there are any chapter breaks.
Thanks, Pam and Christine. Good to know.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 02:13 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Thanks so much Sue for doing that! You rock!
Old 05-10-13, 03:33 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
A-bot asked me my thoughts on rating these workouts and I'll give you my opinions - keeping in mind they are MY opinions and everybody differs on what is difficult, etc.

Easiest to me
Bikini Bootcamp - probably because it is kickboxing focused - and I do a lot of Turbo Fire and enjoy that type of workout. There is minimal jumping - in fact you can modify and always have one foot planted on the ground. Upper body is my strength - and that is the focus on this workout. I do the entire workout holding my 1 lb. weights. You could probably use the weighted gloves - but I have never been a fan. This is an hour long workout. The first 40 minutes is standing - focusing on uppercuts, punches, cross punches, your typical moves. There are a few side kicks, but not many. There is a nice series of lunges into a side kick that really targets the glutes nicely. You get a little bit of tricep work when you kick one leg back and do tricep presses.
After the kickboxing section you go to the floor and focus on outer thigh/glute. You lay on one side and do some leg lifts, leg circles, there's a move reminiscent of Firm Vol 1, then you go to your back and do a bridge section. All on that same leg. You do a few ab moves - bicycles, etc. Switch to the other side and other leg and repeat. Wrap up with a stretch.

I don't have time right now to break down all the others, but I will rank them from easiest to hardest.
Bikini Bootcamp
Fusion - Brooke
Barre
Fusion Mix - Darby
Tabata & Toning

Again, these are my thoughts only. I know Caligurl is asking for breakdowns, so there is bikini bootcamp. I'm usually not one for breaking stuff down, but as I do them again I will try and take time to break them down.

hth
Ranking the workouts from easiest to hardest, I mostly agree here. However, I would switch and put barre as the second easiest. The first part is tough (approx 20 mins) but the in second part the intensity is quite a bit lower, especially the ab segment at the end. In Fusion, the intensity remains steady throughout, so I find it tougher on the whole.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 03:50 PM  
Yelly

Wowzers!

Just finished Fusion with Darby, and I absolutely LOVED it!! It was an incredible workout. Not frantic, but it kept you moving. I got really worried near the beginning where you're laying on the ball (the ball is on the shins), and you're suppose to lift your leg up and to the side. I don't know if I was doing it wrong, but I could barely lift my leg up, and they're on the tv making it look so easy! The rest of the moves were really challenging, yet more doable (for me), and really unique. I absolutely loved it. One thing I will need to get is another stability ball. I have the kind that has sand in it, and it was super hard for the moves where you're holding the ball above your head.

There was a lot of screaming in this workout, but it was from me! Definitely challenging, and something I can't wait to get better at

Thank you so much to everyone who recommended these!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 04:19 PM  
edensmom

Also, re: breakdowns, Christine/furmom posted a very thorough review of Fusion Mix in the reviews database, for those who haven't seen it.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 04:29 PM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Just finished Fusion with Darby, and I absolutely LOVED it!! It was an incredible workout.

There was a lot of screaming in this workout, but it was from me! Definitely challenging, and something I can't wait to get better at

Thank you so much to everyone who recommended these!
I did this one today, too! LOL about the screaming! I sometimes curse at other instructors, but I think that with these, I'm working too hard to yell at the TV!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death by workout, dream body, flailing limbs, fun workouts, yippy chihuahua