Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 11-05-08, 03:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

shoes for ballroom dancing - question

do people use non-ballroom dancing shoes for ballroom dancing? if so, what brands/qualities do you look for in using a shoe not necessarily designed for ballroom dancing?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 06:53 PM  
GeminiGLB

To take lessons or dance socially, no, not necessarily. The wax buildup on 'regular' dance floors really gunks up the suede bottoms on ballroom shoes FAST. When I first started, it was recommended to wear a shoe with a leather bottom.

To compete, ABSOLUTELY. To make it easy, you'll see all the shoe vendors stalking the dance competitors at the competitons...
GeminiGLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 04:46 PM  
txgirl

If you end up needing dance shoes, I bought Dance sneakers from Discount Dance Supply and was pretty happy w/the service & price. (Although, I knew what size shoe I was, as I had already tried them through Zappos. I just couldn't justify paying $15 more dollars w/Zappos.)
txgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 06:24 AM  
kat999

I did a ballroom/swing class once that inspired me to get a pair of swing dance shoes. Wore the things once and never again. Sneakers or even just regular street shoes were much more flexible and comfortable. A lot depends on the height of your partner, actually. My hubby is a full foot taller than I am, so I have to wear heels or we wind up not being able to tango comfortably.

If you feel you must get "special" shoes, do a search for "character shoes." Those are shoes you often see chorus line or show choir dancers wearing. They have a small heel and much easier to break in than swing dance shoes, which have a lower arch and simply require more time to become flexible. I actually wore a pair of character shoes for my wedding reception and was able to dance the night away quite comfortably.

Edited to add that I echo the dance sneaker recommendation. I actually use those for aerobics and they're super comfy.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 07:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

hi everyone - thanks for posting. the whole reason i had to ask is that i was selling a bunch of shoes for my aunt. some were leather-soled ballroom dance shoes, others were regular sandals (very dressy) that she used for social dancing.

i asked the question because i was wondering if ballroom dance people ever even consider buying "social" shoes. when i sold them, i did not tout them as ballroom dance shoes based on everyone's replies, since that would be wrong.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 05:09 PM  
killoffsonny

I took ballroom dancing way back in the seventies. I had the special dance shoes with the suede soles for lessons and for competing. But for social dancing I just used shoes that had a leather sole. You have to have a leather sole at the minimum for dancing because you need to be able to slide across the floor easily.
killoffsonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 07:44 PM  
videofit

What is the purpose of having suede soles?
Old 04-29-09, 08:26 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Being able to pivot, twist, etc.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 09:57 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Being able to pivot, twist, etc.
But you can pivot and twist with leather soled shoes. Perhaps suede is less slippery so gives you more control?
Old 04-30-09, 03:16 AM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
But you can pivot and twist with leather soled shoes. Perhaps suede is less slippery so gives you more control?
From my other salsera friends' experiences, suede is by far better for multiple spins. One of my friends had a terrible time learning to spin with leather soles. I've always been a suede gal myself.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote