Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-20, 02:29 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Monday- ta hip 2.2 day 8 + 20 min cardio
Tuesday - raquel welch yoga
Today - TA hip 2.2 day 9 no cardio

buzzer - I had to look up westernaires - it looks like a drill team, very cool. Pony club is mostly english riding disciplines as well as horse & stable management - kids take written/oral/riding exams to achieve certain levels (lowest level is very basic, highest level is 3'7" jumping, re training horses, all aspects of care, pretty tough). You are right to be on the watch when she is around horses that are not under control (like in a pasture) cause stuff happens! Glad you found some leather boots. Steel toed shoes have fans and then again non fans (my first eventing coach had a steel toe boot clamp onto her toe when a horse stepped on it and bent it onto her toes yikes!) But leather, low heel is the way to go, anything like that is good choice.

ebianco - I think you're right about the 30 min mark - I've got lots of classical stretch/essentrics, flat belly barre all at 30 min that work as well or better. Although I love FP lean and crunch time that run around 40 but it's a different vibe than fusion flow.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 11:12 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Good afternoon,

Today's workout was another new Cathe DVD Low Impact Series Athletic Training (this one: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cat...inin-p/579.htm) and it was great!! I mentioned yesterday about avoid knee repeaters and the initial athletic step cardio step had tons of them, so I just did my own thing. But once we got past that 8 minute cardio warm up bit (and my heart rate was high!), then it was all strength and she cycled through each muscle group, shoulders with legs, chest, biceps with some legs using the glider, triceps with one set using the gliders, legs with the fire walker (which I know I will feel tomorrow), back with the band, and just a tiny bit of abs to finish. It is definitely my favorite of the ones I picked up so far! Years ago I also purchased Afterburn from this series, so now I know I need to pull it out. Wow I will be so sore tomorrow!

Tomorrow definitely an active recovery day, some kind of cardio and yoga or stretch, not sure yet. Then Firm on Saturday, I think I may revisit Firm Tortoise, then run and barre on Sunday.

Eventmom Yes 30 minutes is just so much more doable mentally than 45 minutes!! I love those Fitprimes too and agree they are a totally different vibe than anything from Ellen.

Buzzer Waves!
Old 08-13-20, 02:42 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA 2.2 day 9 planned to do cardio then the hvac repair guy was coming so I quite after MS. This repair has been difficult. The thermostat (which probably we didn't need) was turning on the a/c during the high cost electric period and it took major help to get that stopped. So no cardio!

We're pretty excited - DD just got hired for at least 7 weeks on a pretty big film - the pay is much more than she's ever made or that we hoped. She'll start in Sept. Maybe sooner. She interviewed quite a few weeks ago - did not get the first job but this job actually pays quite a bit more.

ebianco - not sure what it was about ellen, it was okay but sort of like, hey see it's okay to exercise, rather than fitprime hey we love exercising!

buzzer - waves!
Old 08-13-20, 10:45 PM  
Buzzer

Day 4 of rest... DONE.

I really think I needed this. I was having trouble recovering from injuries, had all sorts of aches and pains. I just felt like I was limping and my legs were always sore. Now on day 4, the pain in my right ankle from twisting it is gone, the pain in my knee is almost gone, I am moving without groaning and grunting too much, and I can actually go down stairs without wondering if I am going to fall head over heels and have my kneecaps pop off!!

I think my body is healing a bit now. I plan to get back on track on Saturday, I'm not sure if that means a yoga or getting into my week 2 of block 3 of Body Beast, but I am starting again on Saturday. I have definitely focused more on the gluten this week, and my diet. Plus drinking more water. This has been a good week for me, and I have needed it!!

LB's swim lessons are done as of tomorrow, at least until about October. I am buying her a helmet tomorrow before horse training. I was in contact with my cousin who has a horse rescue and I think the new boots and a helmet would be a good idea for making me feel better about her being with the horses. Not that the horses themselves are dangerous, but things happen. I would like her to continue helping train, and between me being closer and the helmet and boots, I can see myself letting her do it.

Today we had swim, then violin and both the instructor gave her more time so she got wiped out. It's like 85 degrees up here, which never happens. We usually have one or two days of 85 then it's cooler. There are fires around the state, thankfully no more near us!! Let's keep it that way!!

Hot hot summer.

So, this is more rest days than I think I have taken since probably right after I got married!! (besides sick days) about 13 years! It's good for me though. It's making me refocus!

Eventmom: I am excited for your DD! Her career started earlier than you were comfortable with, but to have it end with the lockdown was a disappointment I'm sure. I'm glad she wasn't forgotten and now has this great opportunity!! I am proud of her for being hired for this big project!! That so great!!

Thanks for the advice on shoes. I have now both boots and steel toed boots for her. I liked the steel toed so her feet are more protected, I hadn't though of it being able to be bent!! So much to think about and learn.

Ebianco: So you fry veggies in the air fryer??? That sounds amazing!!! We'd eat a ton of veggies that way!! That might be a good selling point for DH. Hmmm... I have been in an off again/on again war with sugar. I don't eat near as much as most people, but I can't resist an occasional Kit Kat or Almond joy. I avoid sugary drinks, ice cream (I can never taste it after the first bite anyhow, my mouth is frozen, so it seems like a waste to me), and pretty much anything with sugar I am good with not having. I am more of a savory craver anyhow. I do need to do better on watching the sugar from processed food though. I agree, they need to not make things so good!! Once I'm off sugar and processed food I'm good, it's just staying off that is hard!!

I did get in the water on Tuesday with LB and her friends. It's a reservoir so it was freezing. That did help my legs feel better! It was gross water, but that cold felt so good.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 09:22 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

athletes intense stretch

buzzer - I think steel toe shoes clamping on your toes is pretty rare, but it was interesting listening to one person swear by them and the other person talk about it clamping on their toe. Good on the helmet -make sure you get a riding helmet, as bike helmets aren't designed for the same kind of impact. good on getting in recovery no point in being sore and tired all the time.

hi ebianco!
Old 08-15-20, 09:39 AM  
Buzzer

Day 1 of block 3 Week 2 Body Beast Bulk Chest... DONE!

I decided to pick up where I left off. Chest bulk. It took me about an hour because between sets I was organizing my homeschooling stuff for the new year! I kept a lot of the activities we did last year when I was a tutor, and I decided since she starts the next level next year, I wouldn't need those same activities for last cycle (year). So, chuck it into the recycleabin.

I went up a bit on some sets, stayed the same on some sets from last time I did the workout. I rested a lot, but it was a really good workout. I skipped the airplane to cobra move, I have no idea what it is supposed to do. Maybe a stretch? I rested and organized instead.

LB had her last day of swim lessons, then I ran her up and she helped train the horse. Less instances this time of close calls. LB did get her foot stepped on, but she barely felt it with the steel toed shoes on. The horse is big and heavy (ie she's chunky because everyone in the neighborhood brings her treats) and LB was all impressed she barely felt it!!

She was quiet like something was bothering her afterwards. I had to remind her to thank the lady helping her, which I never have to do. She was kinda staring, like when something is bothering someone and they are thinking about it. I kept asking her if she was OK, if something was on her mind. She kept saying "No." We got home, she was still bothered. She took off her shoes while I was in the kitchen, and she exclaimed all proud "Hey! My foot isn't broken!!" I said I know honey! you would know if it was!! I think she was worried she would take off her shoe and her foot wouldn't be there or it would be mangled or something and she didn't know. I love the mind of a kid, but it can be torturous when you don't know something!! HA! Her foot was fine, even with a big heavy horse stomping it!

Those steel toed boots worked for her. I'm very happy!

My left knee is still bugging me, I think it's a combination of always being my weak knee and the twist from the dog after a good leg day. It was weak, and his pulling and twisting didn't help. Tomorrow is leg day, so I might have to modify some of the exercises. I might also wrap it and tiger balm it like I used to and see if I can get it back to close to normal again. I dug out my leg extension part of the weight set I have, and I will probably use that tomorrow. Get some strength into that knee with something besides squats!!

LB had 2 friends over yesterday (sisters from up the street) and they had a blast. They watched a movie in the camper, played in the mud and water, and the puppy was out with them for the first time since his injury and he had a BLAST. He went into the pool (which is a dog pool that we use as a kid/dog pool) and was soaked. They were shooting water at him with the water squirters, and he was in heaven. He loves the water!!! This morning he met me after my workout and was soaked already. He's been in the pool already

Today will probably be clean and organize. I haven't had a day to do that in a long time, so I think today is that day. LB won't like it, but if someone calls to play she can go play. I need to clean and organize!!

Leisurely morning too, which is nice after 5 days of get up and get going all day. No horse work, no swim, just practicing violin is our only real scheduled thing.

Eventmom: My sister has her old riding helmet somewhere, so she is going to see if she can find it and give it to LB. I sent her with her bike helmet yesterday just for the pasture, I figured it was better than nothing until we get her a horse helmet. I laughed when you said "not a bike helmet" because that's what I did yesterday! HA! I told DH I think I need to just get moving boxes and move out of the house and move back in. I always went through things when I moved, and we've been here 15 years and haven't moved, so things get put away and left away. I really kinda want to do it!! Move out, move back in and just put in the house things we really love/need/want like you do when you move. Give the rest to charity or sell it.

Ebianco: have a good weekend!! Now I really want an air fryer to fry veggies. Maybe my family will eat more of them!!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 08-15-20, 04:02 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

kathy smith cardio and 20 min Caribbean aerobics yoga then a riding clinic

buzzer - glad those boots helped! and not to be the party pooper but if your sister's helmet was made > 5 years ago (there will be a date in the helmet) throw it away! really, it's not good anymore. Sorry to be the bee-ach but it's your kid's brain.

budget: but meets all safety standards:
ttps://www.statelinetack.com/item/troxel-sport-schooling-helmet/SLT650530/

not budget: but exceeds all current standards has best most up to date brain protection:
https://backontrackproducts.com/prod...xoCcN0QAvD_BwE

I here you on moving stuff to get rid of stuff, our house is way cluttered.

hi ebianco!
Old 08-16-20, 09:42 AM  
Buzzer

body Beast (kinda) legs, block 3 week 2 bulk... DONE!

I did a kinda body beast legs because I modified for my knee. I think all the squats were bugging my knee too, and since it doesn't feel 100% yet, I did the first set of lunges front and back with no weights/5 ea/8 ea, then leg extensions (slow, light and focusing on my quads tightening), then leg curls (again slow, light and focusing on my hamstrings), then I went back to the leg work for leg presses on the machine with focus, the ez bar stationary lunges, and alternating side lunges with abs in and outs. I know you don't care to read that whole thing or memorize it, but it's probably good for me to write it out!! HA!

I didn't feel my knee at all. So that's good! I don't feel so knee worn out, and all the focus with lighter weights I think is a good step back to get my muscles back in business and strengthen my knee. I know knee extensions would be one I would take out for anyone with knee pain when I was training, but I really felt like it would be good for my knee so I kept it super light (25 pounds total) and went for it. This workout was really good. So I did part body beast/part Buzzer.

I have worked so hard to take gluten out of my diet, and so far it's been great! I feel less bloated at the end of the day... actually, no bloat at all. Now I just am fat! HA! I am still working on that piece, however today I am going to try to start working on sugar too. I think I have switched my brain for no gluten fairly well, so I am going to pile on the next piece. I know I have a lot more to do after that, but if I can get those two big pieces under control I think a lot of my aches and pains will be gone. I kinda feel like taking out the gluten made me go more to sugar, and that's why I need to start tackling that one. I can't believe the difference taking out gluten has caused.

DH chopped down 2 trees a year ago? Maybe longer ago. All that wood has just sat in our yard in like 4 or 5 piles. We finally have a guy in the hood who is taking all of it!! It's great burning wood. He can have it! I feel like our yard might get a little cleaned up now. he's coming back for more of it probably today. So between waiting for him/helping him load, cooking lunch and dinner, getting my face painted which seemed like the "artist" (LB) took forever, and getting distracted by various other things, I didn't get much of the house cleaned. I did get around my rocker and LB's chair done, but that's it. Hopefully today I can work more on it!!

DH bought the most glorious air cooler I have ever seen yesterday. He saw it at the hardware store, and said when he stood by it, the air was so cool and felt so good. He got a discount, so he did it. I have to admit, it's amazing. It's huge and cold and blows air at 37 miles an hour. I never would get it, but I will NOT complain that he did! The heat has been unbearable and I will be happy to put on a jacket and sit by this thing!!!

So today we will probably be on our deck basking in the 37 mph breeze of coolness. I am so excited!!

Eventmom: I don't care if you are a b***ch or not! I love the tips, and appreciate the links. I am more worried about her brain than her feet, and I was pretty worried about her feet!! I'm sure my sister's helmet is over 5 years old because her horse passed away probably 15 years ago. Good to know on that one! I will check out the links today. Thank you very much!!! Seriously. I totally appreciate it!

Ebianco: I was >this close< to doing a Firm today. I actually considered the hard leg one... I can't remember what it's called. the one everyone dreads. Then I decided since my knee is kinda precarious to do my own thing instead so I could be sure to protect it. I am missing my Firms. I used to do one or two a week... they were my standby if I couldn't go to the gym, or if I didn't want to run that day. I did a lot of Saturday morning Firms!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 08-16-20, 02:13 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

FP weights first original with Tracie. So my notes were at first I thought it was so so but liked the music. I'd say this time I liked it. Tracie cues better for me on this one, and I could go a bit heavy and be done in 55 minutes.

buzzer - honestly I'm concerned the person who is helping LB doesn't know this stuff. She should not be on a horse without a decent helmet - it's just not safe. I have a good friend who had ridden at the 4* level (5* being the highest level) was riding, no jumps, in a ring, her own horse and no one knows exactly what happened but she doesn't remember the helicopter flight over the wasach mountains. thank god she was wearing a helmet or ???. Glad you are getting her a helmet.

hi ebianco!
Old 08-16-20, 03:45 PM  
Buzzer

just jumping on since I was reading your post while I ate lunch... LB isn't riding. She is actually helping the lady catch the horse in the pasture that has 2 other horses, taking her to an arena and training the horse. LB is basically using a flag to help train the horse commands and the horse goes in circles. So she is basically helping the lady train the horse. She's mostly learning how to train the horse, signals the horse gives, how to communicate with the horse, and how to use the cues they've trained to get the horse to do things. Then they let the horse back into the pasture and feed them all. Sometimes the horses are too excited for food and I don't want them to trample her! They are all nice horses and wouldn't mean to hurt her. She got her foot stomped when she was helping teach the horse to go in a tight circle (I think without her back feet moving? Or just one not moving? So a super tight circle).

So would those helmets still help even though she isn't riding? I am mostly concerned about a horse getting keyed up and bucking or when they kick at each other, as the horses have before. I know things happen, I just want to limit the damage!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14