Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-16, 11:40 PM  
primrosecat

How to sell songs

I know this is a long shot. But it is indirectly fitness related. I am retired, and my only income is Social Security. I want to earn money writing songs, so I can afford to buy fitness items I can't afford now. But, I have no idea who to trust 'Out There', who do send my songs to, the legal side, etc, etc. I know this sounds weird, but I am serious. No, I can't sing, I only write them. I would really appreciate everyone's input!!!
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 12:04 AM  
Cybersparkle

I don't have any answers, just wanted to wish you good luck and to not give up & have fun going for it!

I am a late creative bloomer too. I plan on launching an online visual art business that I have been working on for several years now. I will be 49 this year and feel I have been waiting all my life to do what I "really" want to do.

I hope someone responds here, but if not - I have always been a big proponent of self help books on the subject. They are a place to start, at least. Amazon has a lot of honest reviews & the feedback can help you decide what books are best for your needs.

Try & learn as much as possible before signing any contracts with anyone, that much I can say for sure. Get info straight from the horses mouth - call the official copyright agency in your country & get as much info as possible so you can properly protect your work before you start sharing to the public. Don't let anyone steal your stuff!

I also like to read books on creativity that inspire. Like "The Artists Way" by Julia Cameron. It helps to motivate me & clear creative blocks. Books by Barbara Sher are good to, she helps with creative career solutions & has lots of online support groups.

As you gather more info on your journey, perhaps you can find an online discussion group of like minded song writers or maybe even us "meet up" and connect with others in real life.

Enjoy your exciting new journey, I'm routing for you

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 04:21 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

if you know of any performers in your city, you could speak to several of them and ask for a referral. they may have someone they'd be willing to refer you to for representation and you can compare/interview the candidates and decide. see if they have any complaints registered with the BBB or license regulating agencies. another way would be to go to the local university and speak to one of the music professors. many of them do their own compositions and might have referrals for you.

you might also want to join ASCAP. it's a very reputable and well-established organization.

back in the 80s, my brother's friend was a "ghostwriter" who wrote and then sold the song rights to famous singers/performers. he lived here in Hawaii but had an agent. of course you could also retain the rights to the songs.

i'm a musician myself, and a couple of my friends have written and recorded their own music. none of them have sold their songs, though - they just perform it themselves at gigs.

to get a copyright you can register it with the US government. there's a fee.

meantime, there's several books available - check amazon and then see if your local library carries it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 05:00 PM  
primrosecat

Thank you both!! Cybersparkle~I'm behind you all the way, too!! What you are doing sounds so interesting, as I am into anything creative. And thanks Bzar, your background inspires me. I found all of the info really helpful, now I have some avenues to follow.
Old 05-29-16, 07:26 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I have no info about your question, but I just wanted to offer my support. I really enjoy music but have no ability to write it. Truly musicians amaze me (you too Jeannine .) Good luck with your endeavor.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 09:41 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi! I am intrigued! What types of songs do you write?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 03:53 PM  
primrosecat

Thanks for your support!!! As far as what I write, love songs, funny songs, feel good songs. I love writing poetry, so writing songs is just a step in another direction. Here is poem I wrote for my dh when we lost our daughter,
Sorrows come and sorrows go
Like the foot prints in the snow
Ever there until the day
Sunshine melts the snow away.

Thanks for your interest!!!
Old 05-30-16, 03:57 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Thanks for your support!!! As far as what I write, love songs, funny songs, feel good songs. I love writing poetry, so writing songs is just a step in another direction. Here is poem I wrote for my dh when we lost our daughter,
Ever there until the day

Thanks for your interest!!!
That's beautiful! What style of music do you write?

I am a singer, so I am very interested!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Here is poem I wrote for my dh when we lost our daughter,
Ever there until the day
i am so sorry for your loss. writing is such a good way to express ourselves and very therapeutic.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:09 PM  
primrosecat

I guess I don't have a style. Something just pops in my head, and I go with it.
Wow, you are a singer?! If I could pick a talent, it would be that! (Or maybe it would be to look like Angelina Jolie)

Tags
off topic, writing songs