Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-20, 01:12 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation VF Insomniacs Roll Call...

I'm reading of other VFers with sleep longtime issues. Current events don't help much.

Instead of counting sheep, I'm counting toilet rolls and oatmeal packets!

If you are not getting enough sleep, here is a good place to vent. Also, to post any advice.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 01:24 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Lol, the toilet paper crisis is ridiculous!

I’m not sleeping well, it’s been sporadic off and on for a long while, hormones or lack there of I suspect... It’s definitely worse lately for sure. This virus is worrisome and my son and his wife are trying to get home from Ireland right now, not an easy task! He’s been going to school there, just graduating from med school in Limerick, had to wait until the school released them. Final exams originally scheduled in April will be virtual, the logistics still need to be worked out. I know I’ll feel much better when they are on Canadian soil, hopefully Sunday. He starts a family medicine residency close to home in July, very thankful for that!

I’ve been getting outside for a walk every day, thankfully we’ve had good weather. I’ve also been doing yoga daily, listening to guided meditations on Insight Timer when I can’t sleep. The meditations do help, they are about 20 min & sometimes I fall asleep before they are finished.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 02:39 PM  
Erica H.

Sleep? What is that? I've given up.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 03:21 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I sleep great when napping but the opportunity doesn't present itself often. Last night turned the light off around 10:20. Was awake at 11:35, 1:26, 3:30 and 4:45. Finally said heck with it and got up. This is most nights.....
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 03:35 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I sleep great when napping but the opportunity doesn't present itself often. Last night turned the light off around 10:20. Was awake at 11:35, 1:26, 3:30 and 4:45. Finally said heck with it and got up. This is most nights.....
This is exactly what my nights are like.

I thought it was from perimenopause, but then I went through menopause and still no sleep.

I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, which kept me up at night. I had the surgeries done and thought that would fix it. Still no sleep.

I had two major surgeries and thought I'd sleep well during recovery...nope.

I can't nap either. At best, I fall asleep for 10-20 minutes and wake right back up. It's like my brain forgot how to sleep.

I've just given up and just accepted it The hard part is when my adult sons are home and they don't understand why I need to go to bed early (for them). No matter what time I go to bed, I'm up early so I need to get to bed early to function.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 04:29 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I thought it was from perimenopause, but then I went through menopause and still no sleep.
Ugh, I’m sorry Erica! I didn’t have an insomnia problem in perimeno, mine started after a forced menopause following a total hyst at 51. I do find some supplements have helped a bit, but we can’t discuss that here. The guided meditations do help.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 05:38 PM  
Jo FitFan
VF Supporter

Breath patterns

The body responds to different patterns of breathing. There are various suggested pranayamas (breathing exercises) in yoga for sleeping (Raviana's AM/PM yoga and Quick Fix dvds each have one that I can think of). Even simpler, here are a couple of non-yoga specific exercises I found last year when googling for breath exercises to help you sleep:

Cover your right nostril, and breathe in and out through your left nostril only. (It may feel weird at first, but you get used to it quickly.) . Try it for a minute or two, or longer.

7-2-11 breathing pattern: Breathe in through your nose for a count of 7, hold breath for a count of 2, breathe out through your mouth for a count of 11 (shape mouth like an O). They suggest doing this 4 times, longer if you prefer.

There are a ton of suggestions on the internet. I liked these because they seemed simple, and I've had surprising success when I remember to use them (usually after tossing and turning for awhile). I don't always fall asleep immediately but there's something calming about them. And hey, it's all natural and doesn't cost anything. . Hope this can help.
Jo FitFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 06:06 PM  
fanofladyvols

Insomniac hand raise!

Been going off and on since peri.

Sometimes it's too hard to go to sleep. Sometimes I go to sleep but can't stay asleep.

Can count on my hands how many restful nights I have actually had in the last year. When I do get to sleep, I feel like a million bucks!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 06:07 PM  
sherry7899

Count me in!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 06:11 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Sadly, me too! Chamomile tea helps somewhat.

Tags
insomnia, sleep, sleep help, sleep issues