Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-19, 10:37 AM  
Lannette

Share 2-3 things about your non-Peloton Spin Bike

We’re planning to upgrade our recumbent bike for a spinning bike. We’ve definitely ruled out Peloton. We could afford one but after a lot of Internet research we definitely do not want one.

I’ve actually narrowed the field to a few bikes but value the input of VF so share with me.

Which non-peloton spin bike do you have? What do you like most about it? What do you wish you could change? Do you know the Q Factor of your bike?

I had never heard of a Q (quack) factor (horizontal distance between the inside points of the crank arms) until a few days ago. I’m wondering if it’s more of a marketing buzz word than a serious game changer in choosing a spin bike for casual home use.

It will be DH and especially DS who use the bike. I’ll probably give it a try but I’m not that fond of bikes and almost never use the recumbent.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 11:56 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Do you mind me asking why you've ruled out Peleton? I sometimes think about getting a spin bike -- know almost nothing about them.
Old 12-30-19, 02:00 PM  
Lannette

Sure Bee. It irritated me that Peloton doesn’t transparently provide their bike specifications. I had to do multiple google searches and there are a few findings that disappointed me.

For instance, handlebars only adjust up and down. There’s no forward and back adjustment. For $2,000.00 plus $$ it was surprising that the bike wasn’t more adjustable. The seat does adjust up/down, front/back. It’s probably not a deal breaker unless the rider’s limb and torso lengths fall out of the average. But it still made me ask myself what I’d be paying all that money for. It looks like the big display is the main draw.

I know many love the smooth ride. It does have a relatively narrow Q factor and it is magnetic resistance with a belt rather than chain so it’s really quiet. On the other hand the flywheel is only 30 pounds and the weight limit is 305, both of which surprised me.

In fine print I read that once it’s set up the warranty is voided if you move it. I don’t want to be stuck with a bike in one place if we decide to move it. The warranty isn’t actually all that long unless you extend it.

We live so far from a peloton store that they’d end up hiring outside help to set up and service our bike. Yet, we’d still have the privilege of paying for white glove service. There are some who have internet issues. This would be us for sure but the $$$ for streaming classes would still be due.

I found THIS YouTube video that discussed problems that are fairly common. That’s where I found out about the rural delivery. We’ve actually experienced that with a couple of purchases. No fun.

In the end I realized I can get a bike that meets or exceeds peloton specs for way less. Of course the display won’t come close. If DH or DS want to try their classes they can use the app and cast it onto the gym TV but they’re not too inclined at this point.

I realize that many of my reasons are only issues for someone who lives remotely but they would be real issues for us.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 12-30-19 at 02:53 PM. Reason: To correct an error on my part.
Old 12-30-19, 02:17 PM  
rhbrand

The seat does more forward and backward on the Peloton bike. But the handles do not, just an FYI
Old 12-30-19, 02:51 PM  
Lannette

Rhonda thanks for clarifying that. I’ll update my OP.

Old 12-30-19, 04:05 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I'm a big fan of the Keiser M3i (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LSX8A...v_ov_lig_dp_it ) which may meet all your criteria. One of the differences between the M3 and the M3i is the ability to move the handlebar fore and aft. I think this is a critical component in a spin bike as well. And it is super quiet.
Old 12-30-19, 04:34 PM  
DirtDiva

I'm another fan of Keiser M3i. I've been riding it for over a year, approximately 5 times a week, sometimes more, along with my roomy who rides daily. I did a very exhaustive search last year, one of the main reasons I bought it was for the copious adjustments, height and reach and saddle. Its incredibly smooth, I have it set up by my road bike on a Wahoo Trainer because I use that specifically for Zwift. I wanted the Peloton App because it really does offer quite a bit, but not particularly their bike considering I have a 65 inch TV in my gym anyway. I didn't think I would like Peloton rides that much, since I love Zwift, but I'm fairly addicted to them now. Plus there are NO problems with the Keiser bike. If it matters, its also completely made and assembled in California. I would look at their website also, it will run you through the design:
https://www.keiser.com/shop/cardio-e...3i-indoor-bike

Last edited by DirtDiva; 12-30-19 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added website
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 05:34 PM  
Lannette

Sheepla and DirtDiva, the Keiser M3i is one of the bikes I researched and love. It’s a bit wide for the area where we want to put it. Thanks also for sharing your riding experience. As you may or may not know the Q Factor is about 7.75”. It’s good to know it’s a comfortable ride.

I do want to mention that if someone owns and loves a less expensive spin bike please share. I actually have a couple Sunny Health & Fitness bikes on my list.

Old 12-30-19, 06:52 PM  
IceQueen07

A couple of years ago I purchased at Sole Fitness SB700 direct from them. They were having Black Friday sale. I have had no problems with it. Handle bars move up/down, front/back, same with the seat. I am short (5'2) and find it very comfortable. I switched out the pedals for clip ons. I had also looked at a Peloton and went to the store, but just couldn't justify the amount of money and the monthly subscription. I have streamed the Peloton App to my tv and also SSOD. I have been very happy with my choice.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 08:32 PM  
Lannette

Candice, yours is another excellent spin bike! It’s shown up on several best spin bike lists. Interestingly it also has a somewhat wide Q Factor at 8.0 to 8.2”.

You are all making me feel so much more comfortable about this choice. All the bikes we like had a larger Q Factor and it was making me question whether to rethink the whole thing. Candice, I know you’re quite petite so if you can ride on a bike with an 8” Q Factor and be comfortable we should be ok too.

Tags
non peloton, q factor, spin bike, spin bikes