Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-19, 07:03 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm sorry for your loss, but what helped me after the death of my dear old cat, was to remember that he'd been REALLY sick for more than two years, and that his quality of life was so low that there really wasn't any way for him to get better.
Old 12-29-19, 07:06 PM  
geojill

You made a really hard decision, but it was, I have no doubt, the right one. We had to make that same decision with our dog two days before thanksgiving. It is hard, but what is worse is to let them endure pain and suffering because you don’t want to let go. Vets are not quick to recommend euthanasia, and if your vet recommended it, it was because it was the right thing to do. Hugs to you, as it is never easy, even when it’s expected. When it is sudden, that makes it even harder.
Old 12-29-19, 07:09 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupam View Post
This month I lost the senior of my 3 cats. On December 1 he started kind of wondering around aimlessly. I had him in the vet's office the next morning and was told he was blind and had suffered a stroke. I knew he had chronic kidney disease and he was treated with meds and daily fluids for that and some chronic constipation. The vet said this can happen when kidney disease is very advanced and after further examination he recommended putting him down. This came out of the blue and I miss him terribly. Do you think I did the right thing? Sometimes I wonder if the vet was wrong.
I am so very sorry for your loss. I have been through it as well. It is such a difficult decision.

I think you did the right thing. My MIL had a cat with kidney disease that was really suffering. The vet told her it was time for the suffering to end, but my MIL would not listen and brought the cat home for another week before deciding to let her go. She said later she felt terrible for prolonging the cat's pain and it was selfish of her to do that.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-19, 07:56 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please don't feel bad for making the kindest although hardest decision.

Cats in particular are notorious for hiding discomfort and pain, and it's not uncommon that disease has progressed to critical levels by the time symptoms are noticed. My family has seen this in many of our feline companions over the years, and we've had quite a few of these unique and precious creatures. There have been a couple of our babies who had cancer that surprised even the vet since it wasn't detected until ultrasound and x-rays showed tumors. All the blood work and exams were normal to that point.

It's so very difficult to let them go. We love them. We help them by caring for them as best as we can for as long as we can while they have a good quality of life. They rely on us to know when it's time to say goodbye. Please take comfort in knowing that your baby isn't in pain anymore.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 05:23 AM  
suzannaerin

My deepest sympathy on your loss. Giving your beloved kitty a dignified, peaceful passing was the most unselfish, loving gift. Please don't second guess your decision, comfort yourself with memories of the great life kitty shared with you. Kitty was a very lucky soul to have you as a mama.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 09:10 AM  
owltx

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You did the right thing. It is so very hard to lose our beloved pets.
Old 12-30-19, 09:35 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I agree with all the posters. It's a terribly hard decision to make, but like someone upthread said, vets don't recommend it lightly. I had some second guessing after I had to let my precious Sophie girl go in September of 2018, but when I get past the emotion of losing her, I know it was the right decision. Prayers for your peace ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 10:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hugs to you!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 12:22 AM  
psupam

Thank you all for your very kind words. I know it was the right thing to do--it was just so unexpected. One of the reasons I posted here is that I know there are many pet lovers on this site and others do not always recognize that losing a pet is a real grief. Jake was rescued from a life on the street after he was abandoned by a former owner, and I adopted him. I had him over 15 years and when he died I contacted the wonderful woman who rescued him to begin with and thanked her.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 12:35 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

((((Hugs!)))). You did the right thing but it's so very hard!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote