Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-19, 11:45 AM  
donnamp

Suzanne - no advice for you, but best wishes! Try not to be scared, I know it is hard, but I have known many people who have been through this and come out fine and I'm sure you will, too!!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 11:48 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne63 View Post
Hi I will be have a heart cath to see if I need a heart stent.has any one had this surgery and what exercise is recommended after I heal my surgery I am very scared about this.
Please don't be scared and keep us posted on what is happening.

Sending you peace vibes 🙏

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 12:04 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

No advice here, but I do wish you all the best for a rapid recovery.

I applaud you for being concerned about when you can exercise again. A co-worker had this surgery and then refused to follow doctor's orders about lifestyle. Let's just say that was a dumb idea.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 08:25 PM  
cyana

Suzanne - good luck to you with your upcoming procedure. Perhaps after your procedure is complete and the doctor has your results in hand you can ask for more specific guidelines on physical activity. Some doctors are still so vague on their recommendations - I've experienced that even with an ortho MD! Maybe you need to press a bit and say something along the lines of "These are the types of work-outs I normally do (with a description). Are these safe, or do you have specific recommendations on how I should modify these and for how long?" You're paying for a service - don't be timid about pushing to get questions answered to your satisfaction.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 09:28 PM  
nschultz

If you have a stent placed and insurance will cover it, cardiac rehab is a great way to get back to an exercise routine without overdoing. You’ll be monitored initially on a telemetry unit which will ensure a regular heart rhythm with exercise and no abnormalities. You may be prescribed new medications and the staff in cardiac rehab will check your heart rate and blood pressure regularly to make sure you are tolerating them. There’s also an education component which focuses on risk factors and learning new habits.

If no stent is placed, depending on where the angiogram site is (wrist or groin), the usual recommendation is to take 7-10 days off and not lifting more than 10 lbs. Of course, like previous posts mention, check with your doctor for further guidelines.
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 11:04 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

Meditation that helped me a lot

I had very extensive surgery in December 2017. Boy was I nervous! I used a meditation on iTunes that helped a lot. It’s called Guided Imagery to Promote Succesful Surgery by Belleruth Naperstak. I listened to it before and after surgery in my hospital room. I highly recommend it.

I did Pilates after my surgery but I kindve rushed it. I also did seated Tai Chi. You can get that on YouTube for free.

Best of luck! You will be in good hands I’m sure.
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 01:06 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschultz View Post
If you have a stent placed and insurance will cover it, cardiac rehab is a great way to get back to an exercise routine without overdoing. You’ll be monitored initially on a telemetry unit which will ensure a regular heart rhythm with exercise and no abnormalities. You may be prescribed new medications and the staff in cardiac rehab will check your heart rate and blood pressure regularly to make sure you are tolerating them. There’s also an education component which focuses on risk factors and learning new habits.
I was going to mention this. My dad has THIRTEEN (!!) stents in his heart and usually is sent to cardiac rehab for six weeks after and insurance pays for it. He loves it....it's like having a free personal trainer.
Old 12-31-19, 07:47 PM  
suzanne63

Thank You very much everyone for answering me.You all seem so nice.You made me feel better.
suzanne63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 09:49 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Sending you thoughts for a quick recovery, Suzanne. My aunt had heart surgery and was sent to a rehab center at the hospital for weeks afterwards. She was monitored there by staff while she exercised on various cardio machines and afterwards, she was in the best shape of her life.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardiac rehab