Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-15, 06:12 PM  
wendug

Sherry- Glad your son was able to make it to the punk rock flea market. Even if you weren't a punk rocker, I'm sure it would be interesting to check out!

Haven't seen Whiplash yet, but saw that it is available on one of the movie channels. I saw a review of the movie, I think on CBS Sunday morning, and apparently J.K. Simmons is fantastic in the movie. Maybe I'll watch it over the long weekend. It's really too hot and humid to do much outside, so this will be on my watch list!
Old 09-11-15, 05:25 AM  
sherry7899

We watched "Whiplash" last weekend. That was a very intense movie! The word "enjoy" does not come to mind, but we did like it. I read up on it afterward and found out the writer based it on his experience with an elite Princeton jazz band.
I had wondered if they were using the school in the story as Julliard without calling it that since the movie was based in NYC. I caught that the father of the main character was a teacher in Pennington and wondered if that was Pennington, NJ and I was right about that. J.K. Simmons was excellent-it is scary if there are real teachers like that, though!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 06:51 AM  
sherry7899

For fans of The Who-they filmed a concert in London in June of this year, and it will be shown in US theaters on one night in October (8th). Here is a way to check if it is playing near you. Why do they always have these things on weeknights? I hope they release this as a dvd:

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/the-who

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/th...e-info/details

Sherry

Old 09-17-15, 10:21 AM  
sherry7899

Kate Bush fans-the publishers of the Kate Bush Fanzine "Homeground" have released all of their issues in two volumes. The price for volume two dropped from $55.00 to $12.00 on Amazon, so I snapped one up. The first volume still shows up on my wishlist as available, but when I search on Amazon, it says it is unavailable.

http://www.amazon.com/Homeground-Mag...sh++homeground

Sherry

Old 09-24-15, 11:15 AM  
TinierTina

Totally off topic off off even this off topic - Carly stuff

http://theslot.jezebel.com/carly-fio...ina-1732601296

No matter whether you swing red, blue or purple, gotta love this (and Carly Rae Jepsen, ftw ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-15, 07:23 AM  
sherry7899

bumping

Adele is releasing a new cd next month. I am very excited for that. Chris Isaak is releasing a new cd as well. I do not have titles for either.

Old 10-04-15, 02:59 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Lately I've been ordering CDs by classic country artists. They are new releases, but ones that you don't hear much about because the singers are no longer producing big hits. I recently bought new CDs by Dwight Yoakum, Jim Ed Brown, Don Williams and T. Graham Brown. They are all very good and I'm practically obsessed with the T. Graham Brown CD - it's FANTASTIC.
I LOVE Don williams!! Not a huge country fan, but i was raised on him!! I used to collect his stuff. I miss that type of country or I'd go back to listening.

On a side note, I am 40 and going to my first REAL rock/alternative concert in November!!! Squeee!!! So excited. (I went to one concert many years ago because a friend won tickets and it was very lame, so I don't count it). Probably noone here is fans, but it is the Shinedown/Breaking Benjamin concert!! I am a big fan of both. Lame question, but what do I wear to a rock concert at my age? I'll probably be the oldest female there, lol, and I don't want to look out of place, but also don't want to look like I am trying to be 18, lol. What do you guys wear? (and if it is out of place to ask all this here, just PM me please, or let me know and I'll delete my post). (PS: I love ALL kinds of music, but am in an alternative phase at the moment, so y'alls likes are still very relevant and I always look!!)

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 08:28 AM  
sherry7899

Jenilu-have a fantastic time. I'm sure wearing jeans and a shirt is totally fine! I am sure you will not be the oldest person there! At our show last night (see below) we saw kids (like six years old) up through people who had to be close to eighty-I'm not kidding!

Speaking of concerts, we saw the band the Zombies last night. They were fantastic! Colin Blunstone's voice was so powerful. His speaking voice is such a big contrast to his singing voice-very soft spoken, with a lovely lilting British accent

Does anyone else have concerts coming up? Between now and the end of the year, we are seeing Loreena McKennitt, Squeeze and Sarah McLachlan. We missed Sarah's last tour, so we are excited to see her again. Our music tastes are all over the place.

Sherry

Old 10-12-15, 11:30 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Jenilu-have a fantastic time. I'm sure wearing jeans and a shirt is totally fine! I am sure you will not be the oldest person there! At our show last night (see below) we saw kids (like six years old) up through people who had to be close to eighty-I'm not kidding!

Speaking of concerts, we saw the band the Zombies last night. They were fantastic! Colin Blunstone's voice was so powerful. His speaking voice is such a big contrast to his singing voice-very soft spoken, with a lovely lilting British accent

Does anyone else have concerts coming up? Between now and the end of the year, we are seeing Loreena McKennitt, Squeeze and Sarah McLachlan. We missed Sarah's last tour, so we are excited to see her again. Our music tastes are all over the place.

Sherry
Oh my goodness! Seeing Loreena Mckennitt would be amazing!! I have loved her for, i want to say 15 years? Close to that anyway. I love her. I love Sarah too. I'm so excited for you!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 11:48 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks! We have been seeing Sarah live since 1992. That show was in a small club. She chatted with fans afterwards and was incredibly sweet. She and Loreena put on wonderful concerts.
I first heard Loreena when her cd "The Visit" was released.
I was lucky to hear her on a college radio station.

Tags
music, music geek