Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-19, 02:34 PM  
sherry7899

Is anyone seeing the Linda Ronstadt documentary that is out in theaters today?
We are going tonight. This is supposedly in "wide release" but even though we have a lot of chain and independent theaters near us, the closest place it is playing is 40 minutes away. Oh, well. We love music movies, so we will travel for it. It is too bad the the two theaters right in our town don't have it. We are really looking forward to it.

Here is the promo clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMYAsu5PvI

I only saw her live once (big regret that I did not go more often) when she toured with Emmylou Harris in 1999. Their harmony was magical!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 03:44 PM  
Gams

I’m going to see Moe Bandy tomorrow. Looking forward to that - I saw him last year and he was great and very nice.

I’ve only seen Linda Ronstadt once but it was not a good experience and I’ve been bitter ever since and won’t have anything to do with her anymore (which I’m sure just breaks her heart). 😁
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 04:19 PM  
Sand

I grew up on Linda Ronstadt’s music. Not just the songs she’s best known for, but a lot of my childhood was listening to Trio and Canciones de Mi Padre.

I have always found it amazing how many genres Linda Ronstadt was able to break into!

Did you see the L.A. Times article?
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...nd-of-her-life
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 04:52 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
I grew up on Linda Ronstadt’s music. Not just the songs she’s best known for, but a lot of my childhood was listening to Trio and Canciones de Mi Padre.

I have always found it amazing how many genres Linda Ronstadt was able to break into!

Did you see the L.A. Times article?
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...nd-of-her-life
That was a great article! Thank you!

I have two older sisters who played Linda all the time, so I grew up with all her music.

It made me smile to see that she likes Sia and First Aid Kit.

Old 09-14-19, 07:06 AM  
sherry7899

The Linda Ronstadt documentary was fantastic! We really enjoyed it. Sadly, there were only four other people in the theater I really wish they could have shown more actual concert footage. Maybe someday more official material will be released.

We wondered about them not interviewing Michael Nesmith, who wrote the song "Different Drum."

There was a lot of interview footage with Cameron Crowe. (Rolling Stone writer, movie writer) We found it ironic that he mentioned how Linda was the first woman of rock and roll (true!) and said something about their not being many peers at that time. He did not mention Heart at all, and he had been married to Nancy Wilson for a very long time. (they are now divorced).

This is a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fInfRe9Qf50

We are curious about the David Crosby documentary and the Echo in the Canyon documentary, but not enough to see them in the theater. We will stream them our buy the dvds when they are available.

There were previews for upcoming movies focusing on Bruce Springsteen and a ZZ Top documentary coming out in October. There are also two dates in October when theaters will be showing a Roger Waters' concert. Also, there is a movie on Judy Garland starring Renee Zelweiger (sorry for messing up the spelling of her last name) that looks interesting coming out soon.

Old 09-14-19, 07:17 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’m going to see Moe Bandy tomorrow. Looking forward to that - I saw him last year and he was great and very nice.

I’ve only seen Linda Ronstadt once but it was not a good experience and I’ve been bitter ever since and won’t have anything to do with her anymore (which I’m sure just breaks her heart). 😁
Enjoy your concert. I'm sorry you did not have a good concer experience seeing Linda.

Old 11-11-19, 05:23 PM  
sherry7899

If you have Netflix, the documentary "Echo in the Canyon" has been added. It is about the musicians who lived and recorded together in Laurel Canyon in the 1960s and 1970s. It was very interesting. Bob Dylan's son Jakob Dylan produced it. He and some current musicians perform their versions of the songs featured. .

We also watched "Bad Reputation" which is a documentary about Joan Jett. We really enjoyed it. I don't think it is available to stream anywhere. We saw her opening for Heart in September and liked her so much we bought the documentary on dvd. It was very well done.

We also purchased the David Crosby documentary. He is a fascinating person, and very truthful about his shortcomings. He still has a very strong voice. There is recent concert footage in the documentary.

Old 01-27-20, 10:06 AM  
sherry7899

Did anyone watch the Grammy awards last night? We made it through the first hour and gave up.

I never get why "best new artist" is almost always someone who has released more than one album. That should be given for a first album. This year it was Billie Eilish, who won five awards. My son saw her and met her twice when she played small venues in Philly a few years ago. Her newest album that won was not her first release. Oh, well.

Sherry

Old 01-27-20, 10:57 AM  
Gams

I didn’t watch the show but checked the list of winners this morning. Was hoping Tanya Tucker won (she did) and Barbra Streisand lost (she did)! 😁
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 05:51 PM  
sherry7899

Good news for fans of Lindsey Buckingham! I am so glad he is well enough to tour. His voice must be restored-woo hoo!

We saw him on I think his last or near last solo date before his heart attack.
If there are any dates near us, we will definitely go.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...0-tour-951139/

Tags
music, music geek