Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-20, 08:29 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies-In Winter Things Go From Magical to Miserable. It's Called January 1/19

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 08:39 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It's a cold (for us) gray day. I'll probably hunker down today, although I do need to hit a grocery store, so we'll see.

I've decided that one of my issues in finding a job may be my resume, so I'm investigating LinkedIn's resume builder.

Everyone have a good day.

Paula - It's good that the places are healing. I hope this coming week has more positive stuff in it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-19-20, 09:40 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Thanks for getting us started, Laura! Your proposed titles worked out very well .

Yesterday's snow managing was miserable - it's freaking cold and windy outside, the blower kicked up snow into my face, where it melted on my skin and the cold made me utterly miserable. I came in a while to get my skin warmed up again and get feeling back in my hands - it was close to skin burn from the cold (frostbite). Then back out later to shovel off the back stairs and porch. No dog walk done yesterday. Street plows should be coming through sometime today. I'm hoping I'll be able to walk Gus at the park today - hope they shoveled their walks!

Dede, My shoulder is out also and I can't do good snatches and pushes overhead. Now with the hip and ankle out now and not as much bendy direction in the replaced knee, I think I'm out for kettlebells . At least there's a store here that will take kettlebells secondhand.

Bee, I'll try to get to a skin screening clinic our doctor's practice does every spring to get my areas checked out. At least eyes more used to making judgements about skin lesions would look at what I have. Do you know what midwest state your sons will be in? At least most of the college students live in apartments or dorms and someone else does the shoveling.

Laura, I hope they do make another Downton movie, but it was hard to get the cast together for this one. At least with the series, they'd have a commitment for the season. I'm glad I haven't had to get my resume updated for trying to find a job in these days!

Paula, I remember records were available for exercising from as a kid. Some my parents got for me and some were used in gym class at school, but there were some they supposedly used also.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 11:16 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Good morning! Thanks for getting us going on another week, Laura. Loved the title choices!! Today I did Cathe's Total Body Giant Sets. I'm thinking this may be the first time I've ever done it -- not like me to not try a Cathe as soon as I get it, but I think maybe I acquired it during my PT phase or something. Not sure. At any rate, I scaled it way back and liked it that way, and still I feel spent. Hopefully I will not be exhausted this afternoon.

Brrrr on all that snow work, Anita! Wow! I had to go out in hail the other day and that was bad enough. As to where my boys will land..... the older one will hopefully be in Wisconsin (Madison). The younger one is still getting acceptances in and we need to tour, but high on the list is Wooster, OH. It's in the middle of nowhere and I do worry that he may get bored there. He loves the outdoors, particularly the beach, so that could be a tough adjustment for him.

Paula, when I was in high school my parents lived in Westlake Village (Ventura county) so I have some roots there, too. But I've lived in northern CA essentially since 1980.

In anticipation of our empty nest, I have insisted we have a family brunch together every Sunday morning -- it's the only time we are all able to be together -- so I'm off to start cooking. Enjoy your day, ladies!
Old 01-19-20, 09:25 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Only workout this morning was the PT routine. We went to Dana Point and did some walking around the marina and had lunch with friends. I nice day.

Laura, hope you made good use of the gray day to work on your resume.

Anita, your description of yesterday's snow was just miserable. One of the guys we had lunch with is visiting from Bismark, ND. He said Bismark has ore moderate weather than Minnepolis. Dry snow, more blue sky and sunshine. My feeling is I'm sticking with CA in the winter. Hope you and Gus got a walk in.

Bee, I do believe Anita used to live in Madison. I know where Westlake Village is - very nice area. I retired from CSU, Long Beach and live in Orange County. Brunch with the family sounds nice.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 07:51 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC, giving Gus a walk, and running some errands. Yesterday was more shoveling after the plows cleared our streets - I had a big pile at the end of my driveway .

Bee, yes, I did my undergrad and vet school at UW-Madison and came back after my PhD in Champaign, IL, to work at the veterinary diagnostic lab. I've spent about 15 years there total. Loved it! My family was in the Milwaukee area so pretty easy to get home to see them regularly. Madison has lots of parkland with lakefront and woods, so maybe your younger one would like that? I've thought about moving back there after retirement, but frankly am staying put and looking in the Twin Cities right now.

Paula, yesterday was miserable with the snow and wind, but I did get stuff done outside. Definitely looking forward to moving somewhere where someone else would be clearing snow! I wonder if my neighbor is having some aging issues also as he keeps putting off the snow removal till evening - wonder if his son comes over after work to help. I'm starting to do my assigned PT for my ankle also - taking your persistence at your PT as motivation for me.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-20-20, 10:23 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Good morning and Happy Monday! Hopefully it's a holiday for most of us. I actually am retired, too. My husband and I had a small software company -- long story short, the free software people copied our product and it eventually was too hard to compete with free. I am not sure I really want to be retired. When my boys are gone I'm sure I'll find something more to do with myself -- not that they need me much at all these days, but I like to be available for whatever.

Paula, my boys both played travel roller hockey, so we often went down to Huntington Beach and/or Irvine for tournaments. Orange County is nice, too!! We also had to go down to Corona sometimes, too. That always seemed like such a haul.

Anita, my husband went to Madison and his dad was a physics professor there. We thought about relocating there when our kids were young, but we couldn't leave the bay area. My younger son was going to apply at Madison too, but in the end he decided he wanted a small school. Madison is beautiful with all that water! I'm sure you must have that now, too, though I've never been to Minnesota!

For I'm not sure how long now when I do more intense workouts, I get really sleepy in the afternoons. Sure enough, yesterday after that Cathe, even though I scaled it back, I fell asleep for a while. Back to Paula today. If ever you are looking for a quick recovery workout, Day 8 of her weight loss challenge fits the bill -- it was 20 minutes of walking and dynamic stretching -- felt really good.
Old 01-20-20, 11:52 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good morning. I went to the YMCA this morning and did an interval cardio workout on the treadmill and then did several rounds of cardio moves with a strength component. It was a good workout. Later, I'll take DH to his PT appointment. I also want to work on a blog post and set up the stuff I got for Christmas for filming - the lights and backdrop.

Yesterday, I got my LinkedIn profile redone and my resume redone. We'll see if it makes a difference in my search.

Anita - Ugh. I'm glad that you got out yesterday regardless of the weather. I can imagine that pile at the end of your driveway. I chose 3 possible themes because I thought the other two might come in handy later in the winter.

Bee - My husband retired a couple of years ago from the federal government and we moved from the DC area here to NC. I've found that retirement is just a new phase to life. It can include work; I feel like I retired from my career, but I still want to bring in money. Enjoy this time with your kids. Other choices wll still be there.

Paula - It sounds like a nice day. It's good you could get together with friends. The thing about ND for me is that there doesn't seem to be anything there. I've never been there and I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's my perception.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-20-20, 09:22 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Chair Cardio and Strength followed by my PT routine.

Anita, glad you can keep up with the snow. Sounds like lots of hard work in hard cold weather. Hope you and Gus are keeping warm and keeping happy.

Bee, I'm retired so the holiday didn't make a big difference to me. Actually I live in Irvine. Not sure where your kids would have gone for a roller hockey competitions but our townhouse is not far from Woodbridge High School.

Laura, good for you getting in to the YMCA. The Pahla B workout I did was sort of a HIIT workout - but an easy one - just my kind of Hiit workout. ND never sounded like an interesting place to me too. Now I know someone who lives there - it sounds nicer and more interesting.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 09:06 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on putzing around and giving Gus a nice walk today - park paths are plowed - yay! Also planning on working at the circus tonight.

Yesterday was a day of observations. The long nail on my middle finger had broken off and I noticed it was lots harder to feed earthworms to turtles as I use that nail to grab them. Just a weird observation - not something that affects most people . Later on in the grocery store I was behind a family in the checkout line - they bought lots of ingredients (chicken legs, yams, potatoes, onions, carrots, eggs, etc.) - everything I had in my cart was already prepared foods that were basically heat and eat (pizza, soups, frozen meals, etc.). What a difference! I used to cook lots more, but no longer... Another observation of change. Also found the the rear bumper of my car is cracked - I don't remember hitting anything or getting hit - I must've been hit in a park or something...

Bee, I love my retirement. Now I feel like my days have value to life volunteering at the Wildlife Rehab Center and also keeping Gus happy on walks. I enjoy my secretarial position at circus also keeping me in a group with friends. I am so glad to be away from the work I used to do. I can't remember the name of the physics professor I had when i was a student in Madison, but I do have a friend that became a physics professor (now in KY) based on the influence of that excellent department.

Laura, nice workout! I never was a fan of LinkedIn - glad to be gone from work now to not have to do it - work wanted us to have our profiles out there. I remember doing a draft copy and just putting nonsense out there to see how the form filled out, but guess some people did find it . I was a poisoning queen in the form . I think everything's been deleted from there now...

Paula, Taking care of snow is a workout! I might not do much on the video side of things, but I sure end up doing lots of yard work and snow work all year round. I used to love HIIT workouts, but now seem to have only one pace for everything - S...L...O...W...

Waves to alL!

Anita