Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-19, 02:09 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I have had rosacea, but no flare-ups in years. I have used a variety of day lotions, sunscreens, night creams -- always mixed half and half with plain (not colored green) aloe vera gel. Years ago, the Rx facial stuff didn't help, and I switched to aloe vera gel and cleared up.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 02:25 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I have had rosacea, but no flare-ups in years. I have used a variety of day lotions, sunscreens, night creams -- always mixed half and half with plain (not colored green) aloe vera gel. Years ago, the Rx facial stuff didn't help, and I switched to aloe vera gel and cleared up.
Thanks everyone for input, so far.

I have some clear aloe vera gel that I bought at Vitacost but it has other things added to it. Therefore, I'm afraid to put it on my face (I've become paranoid about making it worse). Were you able to find any without additives?

This latest flare up is the worst I've had in years. I think it's the result of washing w/only water and a washcloth (over aggressive use of the latter, to my own detriment), and not using any lotion/sunscreen on my face due to a bout of perioral dermatitis that the dermatologist insisted was chellitis (i.e., extremely chapped lips and extremely dry skin adjacent to lips, gave me a steroid cream that I will not use). My face got really dried out and voila, here I am! It feels better since I started washing with very gentle facial cleanser (Aveeno and Vanicream) and using the lotion I mentioned in my original post. I've read that Soolantra can make things worse before skin starts improving, so I'm being patient.

I've invested in some good sun hats---baseball caps probably will no longer cut it.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 02:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I try to avoid using sunscreen on my face unless it’s absolutely necessary. I wear a baseball cap or wide rimmed hat as much as possible. Most sunscreens can cause my chronic perioral dermatitis to flare up.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 02:49 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Thanks everyone for input, so far.

I have some clear aloe vera gel that I bought at Vitacost but it has other things added to it. Therefore, I'm afraid to put it on my face (I've become paranoid about making it worse). Were you able to find any without additives?

This latest flare up is the worst I've had in years. I think it's the result of washing w/only water and a washcloth (over aggressive use of the latter, to my own detriment), and not using any lotion/sunscreen on my face due to a bout of perioral dermatitis that the dermatologist insisted was chellitis (i.e., extremely chapped lips and extremely dry skin adjacent to lips, gave me a steroid cream that I will not use). My face got really dried out and voila, here I am! It feels better since I started washing with very gentle facial cleanser (Aveeno and Vanicream) and using the lotion I mentioned in my original post. I've read that Soolantra can make things worse before skin starts improving, so I'm being patient.

I've invested in some good sun hats---baseball caps probably will no longer cut it.
Fruit of the Earth aloe vera 100% gel. Readily available in drugstores; I've also bought trial/travel size of it at Target. I use a gentle soap, Basis Sensitive skin bar (white, not the brownish one with vitamins) available at drugstore & mass retailers, about $2.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 05:00 PM  
suzannaerin

That’s the aloe gel I bought. I’ll do some research on the few preservatives in it, they are probably a small percentage. Thanks!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 05:33 PM  
donnamp

Suzanne - you mentioned vanicream and I do like their cleanser, it is one I forgot to list above. You could also try their Lite Lotion as a facial mosturizer, it didn't work well for me but I think it works well for some. It was a bit too heavy for me.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, rosacea