Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-13, 01:57 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm not sure why in the heck they're holding on to the DVD-rs. They'd be money ahead if they just tossed them all.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 09:46 PM  
deneise11

I would love to hear a response on how the 5 DVD's compare to the Original
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaispice View Post
I am embarrassed to say that I still haven't broken the wrapper on my set yet.

I have 2 questions:

1. What's the diameter of the "playground ball" that these workouts use? I was wondering whether I could buy any ball that is that size, instead of getting a specialized Pilates ball.

2. How would you compare the intensity of the original vs. the new Fusion workouts? I just did the original this morning and it was exhausting as usual. I had to take lots of breaks.

Thanks in advance for your input!
deneise11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 11:19 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneise11 View Post
I would love to hear a response on how the 5 DVD's compare to the Original
I would say that Fusion Mix or the first 20 mins of Barre are most like the original in pace and choice of exercises. The pace is a bit slower (just a bit) and of course no testimonials, which makes a big difference.
After using the series for a while (maybe 4 weeks or so) I revisited the original and it was SO much easier and I was a lot stronger. So they are comparable in intensity on the whole, in that using them was great preparation for improving greatly at the original workout.
I haven't been using these for a few weeks at least, and while I definitely made huge improvements they never did get easy!
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 06:57 AM  
hotncmom

OK, today is the day. Tabata and Toning. I was so worried about this workout last night that I decided to preview it. The first 10 minutes looks tough with the gliders and then there's a side lunge/burpee move that looks really hard (plus I don't do burpees) and there's a lot of those. But the rest of the workout looks good to me and I think it looks like one of the better workouts of the series and I will eventually "enjoy" it (as much as one can enjoy a tough workout).

Honestly IDK how Bikini Bootcamp made the cut for this series. Maybe they wanted another cardio workout in there but all that frenetic punching did nothing for my arms and I even used 1 lb. weights the entire time. Maybe some of the lower body stuff in the first part of the workout was good but I don't remember because all I remember is trying to keep up with that frenetic punching. I did like that they did a dedicated floorwork segment at the end for a nice change of pace.

Well, there are going to be very few workouts that we just love all the way through. I took a live class recently developed by a former ballerina and while some of it was good, there were definitely parts I didn't like and thought were awkward. I'm definitely spoiled by the choices at home and the ability to piece together parts of workouts.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 07:00 AM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Honestly IDK how Bikini Bootcamp made the cut for this series. Maybe they wanted another cardio workout in there but all that frenetic punching did nothing for my arms and I even used 1 lb. weights the entire time. Maybe some of the lower body stuff in the first part of the workout was good but I don't remember because all I remember is trying to keep up with that frenetic punching. I did like that they did a dedicated floorwork segment at the end for a nice change of pace.
I thought the punches were wild, too, mostly because they were going so fast and their form was so terrible. I eventually did my own punching thing (for example, I stayed with one or two-move combos that seemed more logical to me) because I felt like I could get better control that way. I thought the lower body work was really good in BB, so it's definitely worth another try.
Old 05-17-13, 07:04 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
OK, today is the day. Tabata and Toning. I was so worried about this workout last night that I decided to preview it. The first 10 minutes looks tough with the gliders and then there's a side lunge/burpee move that looks really hard (plus I don't do burpees) and there's a lot of those. But the rest of the workout looks good to me and I think it looks like one of the better workouts of the series and I will eventually "enjoy" it (as much as one can enjoy a tough workout).

Well, there are going to be very few workouts that we just love all the way through. I took a live class recently developed by a former ballerina and while some of it was good, there were definitely parts I didn't like and thought were awkward. I'm definitely spoiled by the choices at home and the ability to piece together parts of workouts.

I agree with everything you said! I think you'll like Tabata and Toning - it was my favorite one of the series, even though it was tough. And I completely agree about Bikini Bootcamp! It's by far my least favorite, but I'm going to try to work with it
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 07:09 AM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
I thought the punches were wild, too, mostly because they were going so fast and their form was so terrible. I eventually did my own punching thing (for example, I stayed with one or two-move combos that seemed more logical to me) because I felt like I could get better control that way. I thought the lower body work was really good in BB, so it's definitely worth another try.
I was thinking of doing Tonique Premier instead. You would get the variety of lower body work plus using light weights for the upper body in a more intuitive (for me anyway) pattern. Plus floor work at the end. I would have to sit out half the reps for sure, though because the first time I did it I was sore for 3 days. I was also thinking if there would be a way to add light weights to Bum Bum that would be good too, and add H&T or any other DVD with floorwork to it.

While I did get through BB without Joni O'ing it, I did sort of Joni O it in my mind, I guess. I'm not sure I want to give it another chance.
Old 05-17-13, 07:15 AM  
lavna

Quote:
I agree! BB is not my favorite, but I'm not a fan of kickboxing anyway. My legs were not very tired at the end of the standing section. Maybe it was because it was my first try! I liked the floor workout very much but it was tough!!!

Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 10:23 AM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
At the beginning of BB, the instructor says "this workout if very form oriented" or something like that. I remembered that comment and laughed because it was nearly impossible for me to get good form while trying to follow them going at warp speed. lol
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 10:32 AM  
hotncmom

Taking break from T&T. Want to complain about the cuing once again. They completely missed a set of exercises on one leg! She cued to the same side twice. They worked their own side twice (I am talking about the squat/forward kick in the first 10 minutes). I thought they were doing 2-3 rounds on the same leg but when she switched to the other leg she skipped some exercises.

Aaargh!!! I have just started burpees. She had better not screw up and have us skipping sides on this one, cause I HATE burpees! I am only doing them for the sake of this workout set.

Tags
death by workout, dream body, flailing limbs, fun workouts, yippy chihuahua