Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-13, 06:44 PM  
lila_says

Denise Austin, Darby Brender & Stephanie Vitorino are three that I find difficult to tolerate. Luckily I don't actually do any of Denise's dvds. Stephanie's dvd I actually had to sell because her voice/speech mannerisms bothered me so much With Darby I grin & bear it because I quite like Dreambody.

Michael Olajide does have an incredibly sexy voice.
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 06:45 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Z View Post
KCM has an accent?
HA! Love it!

I don't think there is an accent that bothers me, not even the Bronx one. And there is only one voice that I simply cannot stand and that's Bryan Kest. He's like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't know why - and I know others love him. I've heard Travis Elliot compared to him, voice-wise, but Travis doesn't bother me.

Sean O'Malley does have the best voice! But, I like so many others. And yes Michael O's voice is also dreamy.
Old 05-06-13, 07:14 PM  
buttons11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraKate View Post
every time he says "relax" I have an urge to jump through the tv and throttle him! grr!
Now NoraKate, that is just unfortunate for you and scott!!!
But the the tags are a riot & the replies are too. I needed a good laugh, so thanks for that.

I'm not so affected negatively by voices really. But poor Denise Austin has not-a-chance with me. She seems very sweet and I think she has decent workouts. But I remember her voice from so looooong ago from some workouts on TV. Yeeeesh. I have to apply the 'finger-nails-on-a-chalkboard" tag to ms Denise. It's just an involuntary reaction. I saw an interview with her about a year or so ago and she seems so kind, sincere and enthusiastic. So, I listened to a clip of a more recent workout w/hopes of a bit of a change. Eh, there may be a very small change...but still a no-go for me. Just can't explain it...But she is definitely the exception

I do have several that I really enjoy their voice: Travis Elliot [relaxing], Michael O. [genuine, calm confidence], Guillermo Gomez [accent], Jessica Smith [calm confidence], Lalo [accent], Petra Kobler [accent, voice just makes me smile] Bas Rutten [commanding accent]. Apparently, I enjoy an accent .
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 10:18 PM  
Yelly

Oh my goodness - how could I have forgotten Michael Olajide!! Yes, that is one sexy voice. That and the eye patch - oh my my
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 04:10 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I really like Sara Ivanhoe and Stephanie Vitorino and do their workouts but I can see why their voices can be grating to some. I like Sara's voice better in her later workouts than in her early Crunch workouts. Stephanie speaks very articulately, almost too much so. Angie Miller is another one I like but I could do without some of the Kermit voice that she sometimes does. There have been comments about Stephanie Huckabee too, I don't mind her voice too much.

I guess my favorite voices are Tamilee Webb, Jari Love, Cathe, Tracie Long, Minna Lessig. Karen Voight has a nice voice too, there are a few others I am sure.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 07:37 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I can't believe I forgot to add Ravi Singh to my list of yoga voices. His voice is so mellow and encouraging, and his Ravi-isms make me smile and keep up.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 07:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhere2dance View Post
There are 3 people that I can't listen to: Stephanie Huckabee, Meghan White, and Lizbeth Garcia. I stay far away from them.

Kathy Smith sounds really pleasant (when she's calm). I also like listening to Tamilee Webb, Moira Merrithew, Wai Lana, and Jules Benson. I think they have soothing voices.
Oh I love Lizbeth Garcia! Isn't it funny how our tastes vary?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 07:49 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

My least favorite is probably Denise Austin. She almost grates on my nerves just to listen to her, so I personally could never workout with her.

What do you guys think?
Who are your favorites?
Least favorites?
I'm with you on Denise Austin. When she speaks, I feel physical revulsion. Her voice is like nails on a chalk board.

Voice is important, and after that, grammar, and after that, inflection, and after that, pronunciation.

V-core, where Emily violates grammar, inflection, AND pronunciation in her attempt to sound sophisticated (my assumption, based on other people I've known who violated the same conventions for that reason), is the only workout I've kept where I cringe when the instructor speaks (with the exceptions noted, her voice is lovely).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 08:11 AM  
Gams

Interesting how differently we view these voices. Jay Blahnik is probably one of the last people I would say had a raspy voice!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 08:33 AM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

The ones I just can't do are Ellen Barrett, great instructor but no. I found out I don't care for Bob Harper was it just me that he came across as arrogant? Chalene I don't know but something just made me give up on any of her workouts.

The best for me has to be Sean O. his cardio coach workouts are so inspiring. I would press play and he would say "Allright" and I would be pumped and ready to rock!

MariaW
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fingernails on chalkboard, flowery talk, voice of instructor, voices, woo woo, yippy chihuahua