Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-10, 07:13 PM  
HelloKitty88

Fitness has changed so much over the past...even two years.

Other then people who workout at home most instructors don't buy dvd's. The old school instructors still do but, there aren't that many old schoolers around now a days. The demand for chore in any area of fitness isn't half of what it used to be. People would rather do a cardio class where they just flop around for 45 minutes and never use their mind or be required to commit to it in order to improve. Its lame. And the class quality is so bad because of it.

It does vary from area to area but most clubs/gyms don't want anything to do with step or high-low...well now they're calling it "dance" witch is a joke. If gyms carry LesMills programs even BodyStep isn't that popular. BodyAttack does okay but, its usually only the instructor who is jumping so, that gives you a sense of how much "high" is even accepted.

Its a shame because fitness doesn't have the "fun" factor it used to. I'm sure Greg is well aware of all of this and maybe has said he wants to go in a different direction for a while. Maybe he is working with other instructors for their videos?

I don't think its that hard to find talent. Gay, Rob, Mindy, Seasun and the new instructors that are mentioned above are probably game to do new CIA's but, the demand for chore just isn't around any longer.
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 07:52 PM  
KathAL79

I didn't say it's hard to find talent. I said it might be getting hard to find new talent for many of the reasons you mentioned - and it might be getting hard to find people willing to film on someone else's schedule (and for the expense) for reasons I mentioned. Finding people who weren't already established fitness stars was always one strength of the CIA yearly series, at least IMHO.
ETA: It should go without saying this is all wild speculation on my part based on casual observation here and there and may not have any basis in fact, especially since no one currently knows the status of this year's CIA series.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 08:13 PM  
HelloKitty88

Your on a roll tonight aren't you? LOL!
Old 08-04-10, 10:12 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
Wasn't Sharon going to film something with the last series but then had to pull out due to a health issue? Maybe she'll be in this one.
She had an injury, but she was supposed to be in this year's line up.

I was thinking Greg put the series off because of the economy, but I can't remember for sure. I did get that idea from somewhere.

I wonder if he will be producing Cathe's new series?
Old 08-04-10, 10:22 PM  
HelloKitty88

I just want to say before I'm raked over the coals that I was only giving my observation about the topic in the thread. For some reason because I may have a different take on some topics it seems to annoy others. I'm not sure how anybody would be annoyed by my post or how they'd be offended by it as I was only stating what I see around me {my area} and what seems to be going on in fitness. I'm not trying to spark an arguement by giving my take on things.

KathAL: I wasn't picking at your post I was mostly agreeing with you about the talent thing. New talent is hard to find for almost any kind of video's these days...its a shame as it makes our getting new home workouts that much harder. However, talent like Gay and all the others I mentioned..I don't think they're arm would have to be twisted too hard in order to film a CIA or two. I'd love to have some new stuff from Rob, Gay and even Donna Read. I loved her dvd with the step, yoga and high-low workouts on it. Her yoga workout was tough.
Old 08-04-10, 10:23 PM  
HelloKitty88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
She had an injury, but she was supposed to be in this year's line up.

I was thinking Greg put the series off because of the economy, but I can't remember for sure. I did get that idea from somewhere.

I wonder if he will be producing Cathe's new series?

Do you think the sales was dowm for the last CIA series? Maybe it was and that's why its not on his "to do right away" list?
Old 08-04-10, 10:33 PM  
KathAL79

DDJ, thanks for the clarification on Sharon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty88 View Post
I just want to say before I'm raked over the coals that I was only giving my observation about the topic in the thread. For some reason because I may have a different take on some topics it seems to annoy others. I'm not sure how anybody would be annoyed by my post or how they'd be offended by it as I was only stating what I see around me {my area} and what seems to be going on in fitness. I'm not trying to spark an arguement by giving my take on things.

KathAL: I wasn't picking at your post I was mostly agreeing with you about the talent thing. New talent is hard to find for almost any kind of video's these days...its a shame as it makes our getting new home workouts that much harder. However, talent like Gay and all the others I mentioned..I don't think they're arm would have to be twisted too hard in order to film a CIA or two. I'd love to have some new stuff from Rob, Gay and even Donna Read. I loved her dvd with the step, yoga and high-low workouts on it. Her yoga workout was tough.
No, Kitty, it is I who must apologize for reading your post too quickly and responding too brashly. You've made many valid points in your posts here, and I agree that I'd love to see Rob, Gay, and Donna come back to film with CIA.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 04:53 AM  
bearcatfan

Although I haven't clicked with 99.9 percent of the CIA workouts, it would be a shame to lose them.

With all this talk of digital downloads being the future (and I'm sure they are great resources) I feel like I want to hug all my dvds. I finally have a collection that is near perfect .... until the next thing comes along ..... and I will put my collection up against any gym class and any gym instructor anywhere.

Going down to the basement now to let Shaun T. kick my ass.
Old 08-05-10, 06:34 AM  
HelloKitty88

I heard something the other day that I just thought about with this topic. I'd heard that people no longer want physical media as much...meaning they don't want to have to store tapes, dvd's etc. That may be very true.
I'd also heard that dvd sales in general aren't what they used to be {that could be for many reasons} but with so much content being on the internet now and the ability to download...physical media is probably going to eventually go away...or at least not be what it used to be.

I'm not parting with my dvds either.
Old 08-05-10, 06:59 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I tried to find some of this information on the CIA forums, but I see that many old posts are gone now. I wonder if they cycle off or if Greg removes them?

I'm sure sales are down some. People here are more apt to say they will wait for reviews or try to trade for something. Also, some instructors have been switching to other producers, like Amy going with Tamilee this time instead of Greg. These other producers must be cheaper. Mindy films her own dvds, Christi Taylor had already left, even Rob and Kimberly and Patrick have left him to film with others. Perhaps he can't compete as far as costs go, but I think his production is better. If Amy had been able to go with Greg this time around, I don't think people would be complaining about pink walls!

I know Amy said the economy was hurting her ability to film what she wanted, so I imagine it is hurting other instructors which would probably also affect Greg.

Tags
cia, ciavideo