Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-09, 03:16 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

OMG, I just did 610, "Total Body" Workout! I don't know where they got the name for this one since it is practically ALL upper body!!! There is a very brief plie series at the end of the warm-up and also a front lunge series, but even the front lunge series incorporates these tough upper body movements. In fact, I was afraid that I overdid it and stretched my shoulder too aggressively, but then Miranda follows with her arms work, and that actually seemed to help, so I think I'm okay. However, I still expect that my upper back might be sore tomorrow!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-09, 05:30 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Life has been crazy this past week. I had to choose between working out and talking about working out, so I haven't been posting much, LOL. I've just been reading the check-ins and quickly scanning GD.

Beth, I'm glad you're planning to write some reviews! I'll plan to work on part 2 of 2009 and I'll continue with 2008. I know I've done 610, but I don't remember which one it was. This is what I mean when I say that right now the 2009 series is all a blur!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 02:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I finished Disc 2!

I just received my 2009 series Part 1 on Thursday, but I've managed to try all the workouts on Disc 2 since then (I wound up starting with the second disc because I wanted to try the Shoulders & Stress episode first, so I just wound up continuing from there). Here are my reviews of those seven episodes:

609: Shoulder & Stress Relief (24m)
Miranda works out alone in front of Greek-style columns. The warm-up includes taps and knee lifts and moves right into kicks. This is followed by a tough arms work series as well as shoulder stretches; more gentle washes come next. Miranda then does some balance work on the toes and standing on one leg; she also performs plies and calf stretches. The workout concludes with additional shoulder stretches.

610: Full Body Workout (23.5m)
This workout features Miranda with Sahra and Brandon on the beach. There is a brief warm-up focused on the hips and then a few plies before Miranda moves into drawing the alphabet with each leg. Next comes standing stretches for the upper and lower body, including front lunges with arms work; these moves are intense, and Miranda moves through them very quickly. However, she follows with more gentle washes and the clock stretch, finishing with the airplane stretch for the hamstrings. This workout is mainly upper body focused!

611: Core & Hips (23.5m)
Miranda is again working out with Sahra and Brandon on the beach. The warm-up includes arm circles and targets the feet as well. Next comes a very brief plie sequence and some short hands and arms work. The standing stretches are intense: similar to Episode 610, they include side lunges with shoulder work. At the 10-minute mark, Miranda moves to the floor for seated hip stretches, including pigeon and cobbler’s pose. Then there is about 2.5 minutes of abs work—although this is short, it is quite challenging, although Miranda has Sahra and Brandon show different levels. The workout concludes with abs and back stretches in a prone position.

612: Sculpt Your Legs (23m) [Note: this is the name from the DVD menu; the workout is mislabeled on the outside of the DVD case as “Abdominal Workout.]
Miranda works out alone in a garden setting. A quick-moving warm-up targets the entire body, including the hips and the calves. This is followed by some intense moves to open up the hips, including some that are a bit different than Miranda’s usual kicks. This is followed by a flowing standing stretch similar to Episode 611. The matwork begins at the 10-minute mark, starting with side-lying leg kicks for the hips and buttocks. The final 5 minutes of the workout are devoted to stretching, first in a lying position for the hips and hamstrings, then seated to target the back and the neck.

613: Core & Quads (23m)
Once again Miranda is on the beach with Sahra and Brandon. The brief warm-up emphasizes the hips, and the kicks which follow more intensely target the hips. Next comes a series of standing stretches including the clock. The floorwork starts at the 11-minute mark with about 4 minutes of abs work followed by abs and back stretches in a prone position. The final 5 minutes of the workout are performed in a seated position to stretch the hips, hamstrings, and back.

614: Butt & Posture (23m)
This workout features Miranda alone on the beach. The warm-up focuses on the arms and shoulders and is followed by a plie series. Next comes a sequence of standing upper body stretching which includes front lunges. The floorwork includes side-lying work for the hips and butt, and then the workout concludes with a series of stretches performed lying on the back.

615: Stretch & Strengthening (24m)
Here Miranda works out alone in a garden setting. The warm-up includes side lunges. This is followed by a deep plie series and then upper body stretching which includes a bow and arrow stretch. The floorwook begins with about 3 minutes of crunches for the abs, and then the workout concludes with seated stretches, including some focused on the torso in particular.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 06-15-09, 01:30 PM  
Keepfitgirl

Beth - thanks for your reviews. Was the Shoulder & Stress Relief workout all you hoped it would be?

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 03:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepfitgirl View Post
Beth - thanks for your reviews. Was the Shoulder & Stress Relief workout all you hoped it would be?

Emma
Emma, this was a nice practice, but I don't think it was necessarily any more shoulder-specific than some of the other episodes; in fact, the episode which follows, although described as "Full Body," is also pretty intense for the shoulders!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 06-17-09, 07:27 AM  
sundari

Thanks Beth for the detailed reviews.
Old 06-17-09, 07:57 AM  
Keepfitgirl

Thanks, Beth - that's interesting.

Emma
Old 06-22-09, 08:46 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi everyone--it took me a little longer, but I finally finished all of the episodes on Part 1, Disc 1 as well! Here are my reviews:

601: Arms & Posture
(23.5m)
This first episode features Miranda alone at the ocean’s edge. The warm-up includes shaking out the arms and little kicks. Next comes an extra-long, intense sequence of arms work; this is followed by Miranda’s usual standing stretch series, here emphasizing the shoulders. With 10.5 minutes left, the workout moves to the floor. Seated quad stretches/pigeon pose are followed by some brief leg strengthening work in a seated position. Miranda then moves into about 3 minutes of abs work, lying face-down after to stretch the abs and back and then coming back to seated for a brief final stretch to finish.

602: Leg Sculpting (23m)
Here Miranda is working out alone on the beach. She begins with an easy warm-up that includes arm throws and torso twists. This is followed by a tough, slightly longer-than-usual plie a sequence. The standing stretch sequence which follows really stretches out the entire middle and upper back. With 11.5 minutes to go, Miranda transitions to the floor, beginning in a side-lying position for some side extensor work and then some rare inner thigh work. The 3-minute abs sequences starts with toe touches before moving into the standard crunches. Miranda concludes this workout with lying hip/hamstring stretches and then brief seated leg strengthening work and additional stretches.

603: Lose a Pant Size (23m)
This episode is filmed indoors, with Miranda standing in front of a large chaise lounge. The brief warm-up includes shoulder rotations, and it is followed by an intense kicking series (both side and front) that really works the hips. During the standing stretch sequence, Miranda has you actively pull on your arms to stretch both your arms and back; she includes waist rotations as well. With 11.5 minutes left, Miranda moves to the floor for a short (2 minutes) abs series. The entire remainder of this episode is devoted to stretching. First, Miranda performs hip/hamstring stretches in a lying position; next, she does seated quad/pigeon stretch; and finally, she concludes the workout in a seated position with back and neck stretches.

604: Hips & Groin (23m)
Here Miranda works out with Sahra and Brendan on a deck overlooking the beach. She starts the warm-up with knee bends, figure 8s for the arms, and stretches for the calves and thighs. The following segment includes both plies (including some on toes) and squats. The standing stretch sequence is very gentle. With 10 minutes to go, the workout transitions to the floor for work on the side extensors and both the inner and outer thighs; Miranda concludes in a seated position for a quad stretch. This was one of the few episodes that I didn’t enjoy—there just didn’t seem to be enough of any one thing, and it wasn’t very intense overall.

605: Fantastic Core (23.5m)
Miranda performs this workout alone at ocean’s edge. During the warm-up, she performs arm, wrist, and shoulder circles as well as hip sweeps and leg pumps. Next comes a 3-minute arms work series and then a very active standing stretch sequence which includes pulling work. With 11 minutes left, the workout transitions to the floor, starting with seated groin and quad stretches. The 3-minutes of abs work includes bicycles, and the episode concludes with abs and back stretches.

606: Full Body Workout (23.5)
Miranda is exercising alone on a dock. During the warm-up, she performs arm and shoulder rotations. She follows this an extended plie sequence that includes side bending. The standing stretch series includes the airplane stretch for the hamstrings. With 13 minutes left, Miranda begins barre work, starting with the feet and toes, then using a lower barre height for hip stretches. She follows this with a brief sequence of kicks interspersed with additional stretches, ending with a side stretch and forward bend.

607: Workout at the Office
(23.5)
This episode takes its name from the fact that Miranda uses a chair (or barre) throughout the entire workout, although she is actually on an outdoor balcony overlooking the ocean. She begins with a warm-up emphasizing the feet as well as hip stretches. Next, she performs a leg kick series targeting mainly the hips but also the buttocks. Using the seated of the chair, Miranda performs a lengthy series of stretches; again, she focuses mainly on the hips but also targets the calves and quads. Coming to seated on the chair, she performs two sets of triceps dips (tough!), and then concludes the workout with seated stretches for the back and neck.

608: Balance and Feet
(23.5)
Here Miranda is exercising alone on an outdoor patio. The warm-up includes little kicks to stretch both the kicks and the spine (adding a twist). She then moves right into the standing stretch sequence, emphasizing opening the shoulders and upper back. Next comes balance work which involves pointing and flexing each foot in turn, then adding leg lifts to the front and to the side. With 12 minutes left, Miranda begins barre work. She starts with a low barre for hip stretches, moves on to working on the feet and toes, and finishes the workout with back and side stretches using the barre. Overall, this episode felt less intense.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 06-23-09, 07:15 AM  
sundari

Thank you Beth. We know these take time to do.
Old 06-23-09, 09:36 AM  
Keepfitgirl

Thanks, Beth. Great reviews, as always.

Emma

Tags
2009, classical stretch, miranda esmonde-white, reviews, season 6