Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-17, 09:11 AM  
ElisaB

LoveVA and Travelmug (and anyone else who noticed their thighs bulking up with barre) -

My I ask: what body shape are you? Trying to figure out if this just happens to mesomorphs only or if there is any other logical reason why some slim down and some bulk up with barre

“You don't have to be perfect to be AMAZING
ElisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 10:44 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaB View Post
LoveVA and Travelmug (and anyone else who noticed their thighs bulking up with barre) -

My I ask: what body shape are you? Trying to figure out if this just happens to mesomorphs only or if there is any other logical reason why some slim down and some bulk up with barre
I'm meso-endo.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 04:34 PM  
Kathleen Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
For me, it's the endless carousel horse that leads to overdevelopment of the quads. I would sub attitude lifts or some other posterior focused moves instead.

I am taking a Barre3 break to do Ballet Beautiful (the streaming was only $10 for the first month). In two weeks I have noticed a dramatic difference. I have leaned out all over and I don't miss the constant chatter. If only it weren't $40 per month...
Ballet Beautiful did that to me too. I need to get back to it. My legs looked lean and sculpted.
Old 03-29-17, 05:24 PM  
LeanneM

Quote:

I've had problems with Physique 57 and also with Ballet Physique when I was doing them a lot. I did a rotation of P57 for a few months, and my pants got so tight in the quads that I had to buy new pants. I'm not sure what type I am, but I'm an hourglass shape, and my legs are my problem areas.

Ballet Beautiful, Brazil Butt Lift, Barlates, Fusion Fitness/Dream Body, and (most recently) Pilates by Lisa seem to lean me out. PBL has also been helping in leaning out my saddlebags and in smoothing out the front of my thighs/quads; I was getting some bulging in that area in the area where my hip joints meet my quads, if that makes sense), and it's going away after about five weeks of PBL.

Hope that helps!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 05:27 PM  
Tugger31

I'm a meso-endo and I did not like what Barre did to my thighs. They are starting to lean out nicely by following Ballet Beautiful and adding in a little more cardio. I have 3 BB dvd's that I rotate thru. I don't care for BB for the arms though. I do like the core work though.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 07:42 PM  
Travelmug

Quote:

Not sure, but I'm an hourglass and what Tracy Anderson calls "omnicentric."
Travelmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 08:28 PM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneM View Post
I've had problems with Physique 57 and also with Ballet Physique when I was doing them a lot. I did a rotation of P57 for a few months, and my pants got so tight in the quads that I had to buy new pants. I'm not sure what type I am, but I'm an hourglass shape, and my legs are my problem areas.

Ballet Beautiful, Brazil Butt Lift, Barlates, Fusion Fitness/Dream Body, and (most recently) Pilates by Lisa seem to lean me out. PBL has also been helping in leaning out my saddlebags and in smoothing out the front of my thighs/quads; I was getting some bulging in that area in the area where my hip joints meet my quads, if that makes sense), and it's going away after about five weeks of PBL.

Hope that helps!
Can you tell me what rotation you follow with PBL? I use and adore Tracey Anderson's Meta and Ballet Beautiful and Callanetics. They all reign in my pear-ness a bit and I enjoy them. However, NOTHING has touched my saddle bags in 20 years. Nothing. So I'm all ears. I know she posts her rotation of one workout per day - is that what you do?
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 09:03 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I'm in the VF minority about barre - I love Cardio Barre. Moves are done in turnout, not w/ feet parallel; back leg lifts are angled out to the side and straight back is done in turnout (knee facing to the side, not the floor). Yes they move fast, but you're home alone and can go at your own pace. I'm not perfect, never was nor will be, but -- no saddlebags, for which I thank Cardio Barre.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 09:25 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Dabbadooey--I fell in love with barre ten years ago and went full throttle on all barre methods. What I discovered was that some barre leans me out and some barre builds me up like a line backer.

What leans me out: Callanetics, Fluidity, Bar Method, Lotte Berk--slow, controlled, attention to perfect form. These are the only barre I'll do (unless you want to add Classical Stretch to the Barre genre).

What built up my muscles: Squeeze, Pure Barre--the more athletic or the faster forms of Barre.

I don't know about anything that has been produced in the last 6 or 7 years because I learned my lesson with Squeeze and Pure Barre and Tracey Mallet (these also hurt my knees, which the controlled, careful attention to form kinds don't).
I see the same results using the methods. I also enjoy slow, controlled meticulous methods the most. I like my strength, stress reduction and meditation rolled into a single session.

I seem to see my best lean out with Callanetics. I think this is because the contraction to the area is constant despite the Pulsing.

I personally think that methods where you contract, release, contract, release tend to build bigger muscles. They also seem to give me greater DOMS, which I now believe is only the illusion of a better workout. At least this is true for me.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 09:30 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget Queen View Post
Can you tell me what rotation you follow with PBL? I use and adore Tracey Anderson's Meta and Ballet Beautiful and Callanetics. They all reign in my pear-ness a bit and I enjoy them. However, NOTHING has touched my saddle bags in 20 years. Nothing. So I'm all ears. I know she posts her rotation of one workout per day - is that what you do?
Hi Fidget Queen,

I've been following Lisa's weekly rotations and doing both workouts that she posts (the main one and the bonus one), but have been adding in more leg work at random. Her weekly schedule usually clocks in at about 30 minutes per day, and I add in about another 20 minutes, trying to get to about 50 minutes. I'm sorry I can't remember which exact leg workouts I've been tacking on to the main ones, but I usually just try to rotate between her leg ones, making sure that I hit glutes and inner thighs at least once a week, on top of whatever she might have in her rotation.

Tracy's Glutecentric didn't help my saddlebags, but Ballet Beautiful definitely does. Do you have the Classic and Blasts DVDs? I rotated those once for three weeks (with no cardio) and had great results. You could give that a try!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre and bulking, barre and weight gain, barre only, winsor buns and thighs