Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-12, 11:34 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I bought Katmojam from Mary this weekend along with sale items. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay $23 for a DVD-R. The workout looked fun so I'm taking a chance. I've had a few DVD-Rs that degraded but I've also had pressed DVDs stop working after awhile. I've also have DVD-Rs with no problems after years of use.
Old 11-26-12, 07:42 PM  
KathAL79

I have had issues with a few DVD-Rs degrading (unfortunately, they were discontinued, so I couldn't return them or replace them), although I have other DVD-Rs that have stood the test of time so far, knock on wood. For what it's worth, like some others, I have had one or two pressed DVDs degrade (actually not an exercise video that I can recall off the top of my head, however - and again outside of the realm of any sort of replacement period).

My old DVD player was supposed to be able to play DVD-Rs (not all DVD players are - check your manual and/or the side of your player to see which formats it will or will not play), but as it got older it got pickier, and it stopped playing most new DVD-Rs. That said, it also stopped playing some new pressed DVDs, although it was much more likely to play a pressed DVD than a DVD-R. My new Blu-Ray player can play any format, so it's nice to be able to play everything in the same DVD player again; I was getting a little tired of lugging my laptop up and down the stairs and waiting for it to boot up and load the DVD, etc., just so I could play a 10-15 min. segment off of Jill Miller's Yoga At Home series.

One other thing I'd point out is that there are professional companies who do DVD-Rs, but at the same time there are people like you and me sitting at a home desk who make them. The quality of the disc itself, the quality of the master copy, the program used, the expertise of the person(s) involved - all of these affect the quality of the final product. It can be hard to tell what you're going to get, whether it's a professionally done product that will last almost as long as pressed DVD and never give you problems or something an instructor had their neighbor's son do in the basement that's done on the cheap and might only play once or twice before it's on the fritz (not that some neighbor's sons can't do high quality work and use high quality materials, mind you). With a pressed DVD you're pretty sure of the quality you're going to get; pressed DVDs are pretty consistent from company to company and from release to release, although as we all know there are some stinkers of batches out there.

ETA: I still buy DVD-Rs; I'm just more cautious about buying them than pressed DVDs.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote