Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-12, 08:21 AM  
marmact

Comparing the three Rapid Fire workouts

I received Rapid Fire 1 (POW) in a trade recently and just did it this morning. I really enjoyed it! I thought it was a great intermediate workout; I also think it will feel more advanced when I'm more familiar and possibly by adding weighted gloves (the pair I have stinks, so I hate wearing them). The only thing I didn't love was the set and the fact that you couldn't see the modifier, but I see that in the two later releases, Susan seems to have addressed both these issues. Anyway, the workout was a LOT of fun, and I really enjoyed her combos. I love when instructors do stuff that feels fresh and new. I know some people have stated how much they love her kicking, but I thought the boxing was awesome! I'm a much better puncher than kicker, but I'm willing to be assimilated.

So, I was looking at her other two workouts; how do these compare, intensity-wise and for fun factor, with the first one? Are they chaptered as fantastically? Do they have as many premixes? How does the weight/KB/other work compare?
Old 11-20-12, 08:37 AM  
marmact

PS: I was REALLY impressed by the chaptering and the number of premixes. New-to-DVD instructors usually don't know about those things, so to me this felt like Susan did her homework, or at the very least has done some workout DVDs herself and isn't just cashing in on us without taking the time to figure out who we are in some small way. Which makes me want to support her more!
Old 11-20-12, 08:59 AM  
Elise7

I Rapid Fire 2. It has great premixes as well.
I preordered 3, but sold it on ebay after one use.
I really didn't like its weight or ab sections, and the intensity was lower than 2.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 09:23 AM  
ckfromca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise7 View Post
I Rapid Fire 2. It has great premixes as well.
I preordered 3, but sold it on ebay after one use.
I really didn't like its weight or ab sections, and the intensity was lower than 2.
My favorite is Rapid Fire 2. I have 3, but it is lower intensity that I thought it would be, so a little disappointed. I have only done it once, so I need to do it again to get a better overall feel. I agree...great premixes on 2.
Old 11-20-12, 10:39 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

The most intense of the 3 is RF 2, followed by RF1, then RF3. IIRC RF3 is closer to RF1 in intensity, but there is less opportunity to modify "up" in RF3 than in RF1. It's been awhile since I've done RF1, I will have to fit it in my schedule again, since I first fell in with Susan with this workout (which as it happens, I won in a contest).
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 12:59 PM  
KathAL79

I did all three this past week, and I'd agree that in order of intensity it's #2 as the most intense, than #1, then #3. #3 is also shorter and Susan and crew do it without weighted gloves, so if you want a little more of an oomph I'd recommend doing it with weighted gloves and adding in the heavy bag segment (which you can do without a bag - just pretend you have one). I don't mind the lower intensity of #3 as much as others since I'm more intermediate than some other posters, however. That said, I still find #1 and #2 doable for someone at my level.

All three have great chaptering and tons of premixes. I haven't really studied them in detail, but they seem pretty evenly matched there.

#2 and #3 use the same cast and bright set. There's a lower impact modifier and a higher impact modifier, although he does seem to have a little more to do in #2. You can clearly see both modifiers in #2 and #3, and the lower impact modifier actually modifies for pivots and impact (but not always crescent kicks), something also lacking in #1.

#1 has only core/abs, #2 has metabolic weights plus a short core/abs, and #3 has weights plus a short core/abs. Susan obviously heard people missed the oblique work in #1, so there's a lot in #2 and a good deal in #3. She also heard people missed the chestwork in #2, so there's a lot in #3 (which skimps somewhat on the backwork, IMHO).

I will add that #3 has a peppier soundtrack, with some remade pop songs (I recognized Ke$ha's Tik Tok - I think that's what it is) in there, whereas #2 is a bit more hard-driving beat. And #3 seemed to me to have somewhat shorter combos and more kicking in the kickboxing segments (balanced out with more punching in the heavy bag - #1 had more kicking in the heavy bag). Still, all three are pretty nicely balanced between punching and kicking, although #1 is the only one that has the shadowboxing and the separate kicking segments.

I think #2 just nudges the others as my favorite. In production #3 definitely has an edge for me, but there are some aspects of #1's workout that I like, too. It's a close call for me; no one really stands way above or below the others for me.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 01:50 PM  
marmact

Thank you all for such insightful commentary! I am always interested in all comments, both good and "bad" (it's all so subjective).

Based on the feedback here, I'm definitely getting #2 next but I may hold off on #3 for a while.
Old 11-20-12, 01:54 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

I haven't done #3 yet, I preordered it and it is sitting on my shelf, sealed. I haven't opened it because I am disappointed to hear not only is it not as intense as #2, but it is less intense than #1. I would not have preordered if I thought it would be that way (especially since I should be saving $ now). Oh well. I guess that is one reason to wait until Mary or collage sells something.

I adore #2 - it rocks, I didn't feel #1 was intense enough, but it was good.
Old 11-22-12, 10:39 AM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Just curious . . does anyone NOT feel as though RF 3 is the least intense of the three workouts?
Old 11-22-12, 11:49 AM  
Irisg1

Ali, In my opinion, the reason RF3 is easier is only because there arent as many reps of any one move, whereas 1 and 2 have more repetition. I really enjoyed 3. I used weighted gloves and the intensity was fine for me. I am planning to do it again, repeating the cardio section 2x, since I enjoyed the combos. Overall, I enjoy all of the RapidFires and like the variety in intensity. I dont always want or need to work super hard. Again, weighted gloves are great for adding intensity .

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bot View Post
Just curious . . does anyone NOT feel as though RF 3 is the least intense of the three workouts?